Slackbot's derpiest puppet

Slackbot

Reaction score
Given how accident-prone Derpy Hooves is, I'd hate to think what would happen to this Derpster if she got close to a vacuum cleaner. She might get sucked all the way through and end up whole in the tank.

JacobsBest

Reaction score
Way cool. Well done!

Ha! I just noticed the plunger! Derp!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Kim... Is Derpy a Whatnot or Fraggle? And what does she look like? :skeptical:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Derpy is a Fraggle. She has gray skin and fur, and short, light blonde, fluffy hair and a baloobius the same color. Her eyes are crossed, with one pupil looking up and the other down, hiving her a "derpy" expression, and she has a rather foolish grin. She has a complete body and feet, and one rod on her left arm.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait, that's what "derpy" means? All this time I've been doing a cross-eyed imitation of :insatiable: thinking his one-eye-up/one-eye-down were "googly" eyes.
Meh. She sounds like a nice addition to your clan. Just another ten more and you'll end up with your own Fraggle company tossing mother's good china as frisbees or escaping from Gorgs who've turned to stone.
Sorry, went to see Unexpected Journey last night, such epicness.

Slackbot

Reaction score
"Derp" originated on 4Chan. It's generally associated with photos of someone looking goofy-stupid, often with eyes not pointing in the same direction.

In the first episode of My Little Ponies: Friendship is magic there was a party of ponies, and because of a layout change some background ponies' faces were uncovered. One had goofed-up eyes. Maybe she was an animator's joke, or maybe it was an error, but Hasbro didn't catch it, and she made it into the episode. A still was posted on 4Chan, and people started calling the gray pony with the blonde mane and tail "Derpy." Before long she'd become a fan favorite outside of 4Chan, and the company making the cartoons started slipping her in with deliberately derped eyes.

I must admit I like toe pony character, because I have a soft spot for the weird, quirky characters, especially those that embrace their oddness. Boober prodes himself on his prowess in the kitchen and the laundry room. Gonzo has made a lifestyle of being a bizarre, masochistic, featherosexual performance artist. And Derpy is a happy, unselfconscious doofus.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score

I just don't know what went wrong!

I made this puppet, Derpy Toes (a spoof of Derpy Hooves from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic) as a goof. I've been getting faster and faster at making puppets. Janken took me months. Skeeter and Shonky took about a month each, and in Shonky's case a lot of that time was wasted on failed dye attempts. Since I'm on vacation from 12/24 to 1/1 inclusive, I decided to see how fast I could knock out a simple puppet, using all original patterns of course. (One caveat: I dyed her fleece earlier because I needed to use a bit of gray for Shonky's eyelids.) I started work on her on Tuesday, and finished her today (Saturday). Not bad, eh?

There are bits of her I'm less than thrilled with. I tried a new technique for eyes, and you can see a little of the hot glue and wire is visible at the bases of her eyeballs. Argh. And I realized that I've been placing the eyes too far back on my Fraggles' heads, which changes their expressions and makes them look older. For both of these problems I need to figure out a better way of attaching eyes to the skulls.

Her hair was by far the most labor-intensive thing about her. Oh lord, forget sewing hands, true torment is dyeing a bunch of white ostrich drabs, blow-drying and then towel-rumpling them to restore their fluffiness, and then cutting the barbs of the shaft and then gluing them into little clumps to then stick on the head. Hundreds of little feather bundles over several days! After I clean my living room tomorrow my vacuum cleaner is going to be filled with little blond feather bits.
LOL! Great job! I love that character.

ncchuck

Reaction score
I know I have told you but your fraggles are wonderful. are you bring him to dragon con this year?

Slackbot

Reaction score
Thank you! I will be bringing some puppets to DC this year. Not sure who, although I'd be surprised if one of 'em wasn't Skeeter.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score

I just don't know what went wrong!

I made this puppet, Derpy Toes (a spoof of Derpy Hooves from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic) as a goof. I've been getting faster and faster at making puppets. Janken took me months. Skeeter and Shonky took about a month each, and in Shonky's case a lot of that time was wasted on failed dye attempts. Since I'm on vacation from 12/24 to 1/1 inclusive, I decided to see how fast I could knock out a simple puppet, using all original patterns of course. (One caveat: I dyed her fleece earlier because I needed to use a bit of gray for Shonky's eyelids.) I started work on her on Tuesday, and finished her today (Saturday). Not bad, eh?

There are bits of her I'm less than thrilled with. I tried a new technique for eyes, and you can see a little of the hot glue and wire is visible at the bases of her eyeballs. Argh. And I realized that I've been placing the eyes too far back on my Fraggles' heads, which changes their expressions and makes them look older. For both of these problems I need to figure out a better way of attaching eyes to the skulls.

Her hair was by far the most labor-intensive thing about her. Oh lord, forget sewing hands, true torment is dyeing a bunch of white ostrich drabs, blow-drying and then towel-rumpling them to restore their fluffiness, and then cutting the barbs of the shaft and then gluing them into little clumps to then stick on the head. Hundreds of little feather bundles over several days! After I clean my living room tomorrow my vacuum cleaner is going to be filled with little blond feather bits.
I LOVE Derpy Fraggle! It looks so cute too.

BTW: Good luck with DC! You shoulkd bring your puppets to surprise causal or even obessed Muppet fans.