Fraggle fic: The Minstrel's Path

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
This is a brautiful drawing, Slackbot. The Cilo & Cantus goodbyes were very touching.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Another chapter already? I'm outta control!
The Minstrel's Path
Part 18
by Kim McFarland

The last few days had been interesting. Balsam had offered to guide the Minstrels to other people who lived in this region. The first one they had visited was a colony of Fraggles who had an unusual idea of fun. They kept their caverns utterly clean, taking out all rocks and stacking them in big piles outside the colony, and swept up dirt and dust from the floors of their caves. They even removed plants that they did not approve of. They liked their section of the world to be orderly. They didn't care for the Minstrels' music; it was too chaotic for their tastes. Their own style of music was heartfelt in its own way, but strange and staccato, as if it only grudgingly admitted to having a tune.

Cantus could see that the colony was turned inward, not wanting contact with the outside. That was regrettable, but he could not change that. The Minstrels did not stay there long.

Next they visited a colony of Doozers. Cantus and Murray were surprised to see them here; he thought they only lived in the north. Instead of working with metal like the ones he knew, these built structures out of crystalline-looking sticks. Murray commented, "Artsy."

Cantus noticed an appetizing smell in the air. He asked one of the Doozers, "What are these buildings for?"

The Doozers ignored him. Balsam said, "They won't answer you. Doozers only talk to Doozers."

"Hmm." Cantus raised his pipe and played some music that he had learned from one of the northern Doozers' music boxes. The Doozers looked at him, startled by the sound of actual music as opposed to the rowdy noise Fraggles usually made. He played for several minutes. When he finished he asked, "These structures you build, what are they for?"

The Doozers stared at him incredulously. One, a Doozer with a gearlike adornment on its helmet, replied, "They're for eating, of course!"

"Who eats them?"

"Fraggles, who else? What are you?"

"I am a Fraggle from far away."

"Well, come on, don't keep us waiting. The faster you eat the tower, the sooner we can rebuild."

Gingerly Cantus broke off a non-load-bearing strut and sampled it. It was spicy and delicious, with a crisp, crunchy texture. Cantus said to the others, "Try this. It's good."

Brool sampled one stick, and that was enough for him. It didn't suit his taste. Murray ate a few, thinking that they were decent snack food, but he'd never make a dent in these towers. Balsam nibbled politely, but that was all. Brio and Cantus, on the other hand, took down one of the towers. The Doozers, satisfied that their work was properly appreciated, went on with their tasks. One was already carting in a load of replacement building materials.

When they had eaten their fill Cantus said, "Thank you for the meal."

The Doozer with the gear helmet said, "Come back tomorrow. We'll be building a cloverleaf overpass!"

As they walked another tunnel leading upward, Brool remarked, "Building those things just so someone else can tear them down and eat them? That's crazy."

Balsam said, "I guess it's their hobby. Like your music."

Murray glanced at Cantus, who smiled. "Yes. We play music for the joy of it and the pleasure of the listener. It seems they build for the same reason."

The tunnel eventually leveled out and changed from smooth, live limestone to rough rock. Balsam stopped them in a cave and, pointing to the exit on the other side, said in a hushed voice, "That leads to the place where the huge people live. Be careful. They could step on you and squash you by accident."

"Then we will have to make sure they know we're here," Cantus said, and raised the Magic Pipe.

It was their standard entrance: come in playing music, and then introduce yourself. The Minstrels walked through the tunnel, playing their instruments.

The tunnel led to an enormous cave, so big they could barely hear echoes. It was dimly lit, and the light it did have came from holes in one wall of the cave and a nook with a huge fire. The flames rose to brush against the bottom of an enormous metal object. After a moment Cantus realized what he was looking at: a cooking pot over a fire. These people were unimaginably big!

But, he thought when he heard footsteps, soon he wouldn't have to imagine it.

A titanic being in a robe entered the room, as unhurried and unstoppable as a spring flood. It took a few steps toward the cookpot, then paused and turned its head, listening. Then it looked down and saw the Minstrels, still playing their instruments.

Its eyes and mouth widened in shock. Cantus watched calmly. All people were surprised on seeing them for the first time. It soon passed.

The giant screamed piercingly. It—she—rushed away, then came back with a huge broomstick in her hands. As soon as she began to raise the broomstick the Minstrels scattered. They could bluff cave creatures into thinking they were big and fierce, but there was no hope of frightening off this mammoth being!

Only Balsam, who was not used to dealing with such dangers, didn't react quickly. He froze for just a second, and the broom swatted down on him.

The creature set up a screeching cacophony, calling for others, yelling that there were Fraggles in their home. She was holding the broom down. Someone was trapped under there! Cantus looked around, then quickly reached back and pulled the tent pole out of his pack. He held it like a spear and ran at the giant, putting all of his weight and momentum into a hard jab to the soft spot behind the ankle. The giant jerked her foot, but did not move the broom.

Watching from other hiding places, Murray and Brool saw what Cantus was trying to do. Murray took a fish scaling knife out of his pack and ran to join the attack. Brool charged as well, teeth bared.

Under the onslaught the giant jumped and ran out of the room. The broomstick clattered to the ground, revealing Balsam face down on the ground. Brool grabbed him up. More footsteps and voices heralded the arrival of more giants. Murray pointed at the door. "Let's get out of here!"

"Yes!" Cantus said, and they all fled.

They made it to the enormous door, then out into an area that was floored with dirt, not stone. In a tight group they headed for the first hiding spot they could find, behind a stone wall higher than a Fraggle was tall. Murray looked back. The giants were making a racket, but they were still inside. He said, "I'll keep watch."

"Thanks," Cantus said. Looking at Balsam, who was still in Brool's arms, he said, "How is he?" He could see only superficial abrasions on his front; he was more worried about the crushing force of the broom. He felt the soft part of his throat, then said, "He's alive."

Brool sat down. Carefully he turned Balsam over in his lap. There was no blood; his leathery skin was tough. No visible swelling indicated broken bones or internal bleeding. Cantus wished he would wake up.

Murray reported, "They've shut the door. We're gonna be out here a while."

Brool said, "Let's find a spot to lay low in."

"Yes," Cantus agreed. They couldn't rest here; if a giant walked out and looked down it would see them. They got up and went along the wall, away from the giants.

They came to an area that smelled richly of that part of the cycle of life that is the opposite of the growth of plants in spring. It was the scent of the return of nutrients to the soil. It as an honest, natural odor, which was not to say it was exactly pleasant. Yet at the moment it was welcome, because surely the giants wouldn't search for them here.

They sat down against the wall. Cantus said in a shaken voice, "How can I speak to them with music if they won't listen at all?"

Murray replied, "Look, I know you love a challenge, but in this case you better rethink your approach. We can't unite anyone if we're smashed flat."

"I agree," Cantus said sadly.

Brool said, "He's waking up."

The Thrumb was blearily looking around, confused. Cantus said, "How are you?"

"I…don't know," Balsam answered dazedly.

"Are you badly hurt?"

"I don't know," Balsam repeated. "The big thing hit me. I'm still alive."

"He's in shock," Murray said.

Cantus asked, "Is there another way back?"

"I don't know. The only one I do know goes through there."

Cantus frowned. They should get Balsam back to his colony, where they would know how treat his injuries, whatever they were. But how could they get there? Even if the doors weren't closed, he heard the voices of three giants, all making an uproar about an invasion. If they went back through there they'd be killed.

But the giants were people. There had to be a way to speak to them without mayhem. The one who had attacked them had sounded frightened. Of them? As large as they were, they were afraid of people the size of Fraggles? If he could get past that fear, maybe they would listen.

But that was a problem for another day. For now, they had to save their own skins.

Balsam said, "It hit me. With a big broom."

Murray said, "Yeah. We were afraid you were a goner at first. How do you feel?"

"My back's sore. Is it cut?"

"No," Brio answered.

Balsam took a deep breath and held it for a moment, then released it. "Nothing's broken. I think I'm okay. How are you?"

Brool said, "We're fine. You're the only one she hit."

"Oh, good. You're softer than I am. Um, I think I can, um, put me down?"

Brool gently set Balsam on his feet, and held his arms out for a moment after releasing him, in case he needed support. He didn't. Balsam sat down. "Sorry about that. I didn't know they were so mean." He looked around. "Where are we?"

They others followed his gaze. They had been too busy to notice where they were. Instead of a cave ceiling there were plants rising straight up toward a shining blue-and-white expanse. On one edge there was a yellow-orange circle that they could not look at for more than a second. When they closed their eyes the image flashed against their eyelids.

Murray and Cantus had seen this before. "This is outside of the caves," Cantus said. He pointed at the sun. "That is a fire that lights and warms this place."

"Is this natural?" Brio asked.

"It doesn't get much more natural than this!"

The ground shifted and heaved under them. Before their eyes it rose, revealing the shape of…well, of a pile of trash. It raised a pair of eyeglasses on a stick and peered at them. "Well, well, I haven't seen you before!" She glanced around. "And since it looks like I have to make my own introductions, I am the all-seeing, all-knowing, all-telling Trash heap. You want wisdom, you've come to the right place. Whaddaya wanna know?"

Cantus thought that this shouldn't be real. But it was. He could see it, hear it, and definitely smell it. A talking trash heap. Thinking that they had little to lose, he said, "We need to get back home, but the only way we know is through the house of the giants."

"The Gorgs' castle? You go in there, they'll thump you," she warned.

"I know. They thumped Balsam," Cantus said, gesturing at the Thrumb.

"I'm all right. I'm not soft," Balsam said.

"You need to go back through the Gorgs' castle without being thumped? In that case, simply wait until they go to bed."

"Will we be safe here until then?" Murray asked.

"Of course you will. The Gorgs only come back here to take out the trash," she assured them.

"Thank you," Cantus said. He took out his pipe and said, "I would like to play for you."

"Oh, how nice! Lay it on me, sonny."

At first Brool was astonished. They had just escaped death by thumping, and Cantus was playing music? Was that his response to everything? But then Murray joined in, and, well, it seemed to be the thing to do. Brool got out his guitar, and Brio her cymbals.

Balsam checked his drums. Somehow they had escaped damage. The Minstrels encouraged anyone who was with them to join in their music, so he did, playing a soft, pattering rhythm to compliment their tune.

When they finished they all felt much calmer. The Trash Heap said, "That was lovely. Now, while we're waiting, watch the sunset with me."

"What is a sunset?" Cantus asked.

She drew back in surprise. "You don't know what a sunset is? You Fraggles need to get out in the fresh air more often. Come here and sit down facing the way I am. It's beginning."

They did. Soon colors began to appear in the sky. The sun darkened from orange to red, and the clouds turned to streamers of pink and purple. The sky darkened, and as it did tiny points of light, like fireflies, appeared overhead. Cantus thought, it was worth the ordeal to see something like this. It was like music painted in the sky.

The Trash Heap said, "The Gorgs are going to bed now. If you are careful and quiet, and walk along the walls rather than straight across the floor, you'll be safe."

"Thank you," Cantus said.

The Minstrels started back, alert for the sound of Gorg voices. Murray said softly to Cantus, "She said 'you Fraggles.' And the giant called us Fraggles. There are Fraggles who come out here."

"Yes," Cantus said. That just might be very significant.

Fraggle Rock and all characters are copyright © The Jim Henson Company and are used without permission but with much respect and affection. The overall story is copyright © Kim McFarland (negaduck9@aol.com). Permission is given by the author to copy it for personal use only.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
The gang meeting the Gorgs and Marjorie in one afternoon! That's quite the day. I am eager to see what Cantus decides to do in an effort to try and play music for the Gorgs, since he clearly was shook up by the reaction they received. Thanks for sharing!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Beige's Fraggle colony... Doozers expecting Fraggles to demolish their Tinkertoy sticklike constructs... The connecting tunnel into the Gorgs' kitchen that Gobo used when he posed as Jareth, er, Sir Hubris... And then Marjery giving them a dosage of wisdom at the end. *Cheers wildly. Thank you for brightening a murky day.

DrDientes

Reaction score
Wow! What a chapter! Casually, I was watching Fraggle Wars yesterday. And now I'm wondering how the Minstrels gonna learn to play the Gorg's music.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Heh, I was hoping Fraggle Cave would be recognizable! And I've likened Balsam to a beetle before, but I think this is the first time I really thought of him as one. Anyone who has tried to kill a cockroach with a broom knows how sturdy the little monsters are.

There's a story I remember hearing about Socrates. He was suppodes to be the most persuasive man ever. One time his friends were not going to let him go home for the night. He asked if he could persuade them to let him go, and they said no, because they would not listen to him. Cantus seems to have run up against the same problem here. How can he communicate with the Gorgs if they only see Fraggles as vermin?

Murray has Cantus pegged. He knows that this is an irresistable challenge for him. Thankfully, Cantus won't take idiotic risks, especially with other people's lives. He hasn't lived this long and done as much as he has by being a fool. It's a good thing he has found an ally in the Trash Heap. She has some of the same goals; remember the radish famine?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
The Great Radish Famine... Yep. For some reason I have as defining a memory of the Gorg/Doozer/Fraggle trio from Perfect Harmony from this episode as I do of the version sung in the animated series.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Heh, that's the episode. And it's one of the songs that made the transition to animation well. They didn't rewrite it extensively, or make weird cast changes, or otherwise mess it up.

Marjory was trying so hard, but, c'mon, what did she really think she was going to accomplish by setting off a disaster for three species that didn't get along at the best of times? She would have been wiser to hire Convincing John.

I can just see John's patter complely bamboozling Junior. Maybe there's a story in that.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe something for a oneshot fic or an entry in your text sketchbook folder?
*Listening to the best Boober song, I think it's "I'm Never Alone"?

Slackbot

Reaction score
I'll see what comes out of that idea. It might make for a fun little fic. After the end of this series I'm gonna need comic relief big-time.

Boober has some good songs. My faves include Party Hard/Who Knows What You See, Yucky for Sure, Get Blue, I Sniff the Rose, and, yes, I'm Never Alone. The worst is his rendition of Just a Dream Away from the FR animated series. On the other hand, the animated version of Muck and Goo, sung as a laundry song, is cute and makes sense.

I wonder, are the animated FR songs out there somewhere? Do people trade those among their MUP3s?