Fraggle fic: The Minstrel's Path

Slackbot

Reaction score
One of the themes of Fraggle Rock is environmentalism, which includes recycling. So, with that in mind, I present...

The Minstrel's Path
Part 20
by Kim McFarland

Murray was all eyes and ears as he peered into the cavernous Gorg castle. The light, which came from a low-burning fire, threw long, shaky shadows across the floor. The walls were straight and made of cut rock mortared together instead of living stone. The floor was flat and even. To a creature used to limestone caves, this felt creepy and unnatural.

The sounds here were different too. The quiet snap and sizzle from the fireplace, the distant sounds of the surface creatures outside, and, of course, the snoring of this dwelling's huge inhabitants. Murray paid close attention to that. If the sound remained the same, he and Cantus were safe. If it changed, they would run for cover.

He looked up. There was a bit of orange moving against the dull stone and faded cloth. Cantus was climbing up one of the walls to a shelf far overhead. Instead of his usual pack, he carried a wooden box strapped to his back. Murray knew it was not that heavy, as he had carried it himself part of the way, but climbing with it couldn't be fun.

Its weight came from the metal within the box. A colony of Doozers had created the device for him. When closed, it appeared to be an ordinary box, although the image on the lid marked it as a Fraggle artifact. But when you opened it up...

Well, they would see.

Cantus had reached the shelf and was moving a loose stone from its place. Murray couldn't see from his low angle, but he knew what Cantus was doing: placing the box behind the stone. That was a dangerous hiding spot, but one that could be navigated by clever, motivated Fraggles.

Now Cantus was climbing back down without the box. Murray sat down cross-legged and unrolled a map in front of himself. The image was vague, certainly not clear enough to serve as a guide. It was the directions that would lead a Fraggle to the box, provided whoever found it and was willing to take the risk. He wrote down the path to it in terms of steps and landmarks. When Cantus approached Murray had finished the last few lines and was fanning the wet ink with a dried leaf that had blown in from outside.

After a few minutes Murray rolled the map up again, and Cantus shrugged on his backpack. Cantus had not tried to read the map; his near vision was not very sharp. He carried his music and lore in his head; only on those rare occasions when he needed to set something down on paper for someone else did he call on Murray as a scribe.

The two Fraggles crept out the door, which was half open to let in the night breeze, and crossed the garden to the safety of the underground tunnels.

When rock surrounded them once more Murray spoke. "You really know how to pick 'em."

Cantus replied, "If it was easy, it would be meaningless."

"Right, right..."

The two Minstrels backtracked to a cobwebby cave near the local Fraggle colony. For many turns of the seasons the Minstrels had been exploring the caves, finding new colonies and playing their music for those who would listen. This colony was the latest one. Cantus had surprised the other Minstrels by avoiding it, choosing to travel far north instead of visiting them. During that trip he had asked a Doozer colony to make the music box for him. Then the Minstrels had come back south, and once again Cantus had kept away from the colony.

As Cantus set the map atop a stone formation in the center of the cave Murray said, "You really think they'll find it here?"

"They will if they are interested enough in the world to explore beyond the safety of their nest," Cantus replied.

"What'll you do if they take the box?"

"If they listen to it, then they may keep it."

"There's gotta be more to it than that."

"More and less. It only appears to be complex because it is so simple."

Murray leaned against the stone formation. "Remember when you made me promise to be honest with you? That goes both ways."

Cantus paused thoughtfully. Then he said, "This Fraggle colony is in contact with both Doozers and Gorgs. They have a trash heap as an oracle. They see the sun and moon, and get food from the surface. No other colony has all those blessings."

Gorgs were a blessing? Skip it. "So why are you tiptoeing around?"

In a low voice Cantus said, "In time, we will meet them. But first I want to find out what they are like. How brave they are. How curious. Whether music is at the center of their souls."

"All that with a music box."

"It is a test."

"What if the Gorgs find it instead?"

Cantus smiled. "Then they will find a gift of music from a Fraggle."

Murray chuckled. "Okay. Well, let's get back or the others'll come looking for us."

"Yes."

The two left. Murray hoped that the Fraggles of the colony passed the test. He only had a notion of why Cantus thought this colony was so special, and he couldn't guess what he planned to do if they found the box. All he could do now was watch and wait.

During his visits to the various colonies Cantus had studied their lore. Every colony had a bard, or storyteller, or keeper of sacred books, or come other person who served as the custodian of their lore and history. Cantus had found many common patterns and themes in Fraggle tales. For example, every Fraggle colony he had visited had a legend of a lost treasure. In Cantus's opinion that was foolish; the greatest gift that Fraggles had was that which they gave and accepted freely, and could never lose: their song. In song, Fraggles gave voice to their hearts, sharing of themselves in a way that words alone could not convey.

There were many colonies of many species living in the caves. Cantus and his minstrels could carry music from one to the next, but they alone could not unite the Rock. The inhabitants must step outside themselves, leave their safe little nests and see the larger world. They must join the larger song.

Cantus had hope for this colony. They lived with both Doozers and Gorgs, so they had some concept of different races. He believed that if they were brave enough to find the box and perceptive enough to recognize the value of the music within, he would have found at long last what he had been looking for.

Fraggle Rock and all characters are copyright © The Jim Henson Company and are used without permission but with much respect and affection. The overall story is copyright © Kim McFarland (negaduck9@aol.com). Permission is given by the author to copy it for personal use only.

DrDientes

Reaction score
Great chapter! I feel a little deja vú... Wonder why.:wink:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Deja vu for sure! I do like seeing how you were able to make this short sketch fit into the larger whole of the work, and it is nice to see Murray force Cantus into being honest with his intentions here.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Heh, yeah, this was a cheater chapter, but it would have been silly not to tie it into this story. I did do some rewriting, though, to make it fit into the continuity.

Heh, Murray trusts Cantus, and is in it for the long haul, but even he can have his fill of mysticism and puzzles, so he gives Cantus a little reality check. Cantus doesn't mind. He's glad to have one friend who sees through the act.

Cantus is putting all his eggs in one basket, isn't he? Even though Fraggles (in my stories) are not oviparous, and in any case Cantus is male and thus extremely unlikely to lay eggs.

Slackbot

Reaction score
You ever sit down to watch a show you like, and it ends up being clips from a bunch of earlier episodes, strung together with some lame framing story to excuse their cheaping out on original writing? Yeah, that annoys the crud out of me too. :smirk:

The Minstrel's Path
Part 21
by Kim McFarland

It was another dark night in the Gorgs' castle. Cantus and Murray entered through the hole in the kitchen. The fire was burning low, casting little light. Life would be easier if they could come during the day, Murray thought. Easier, but short.

After assuring themselves that the Gorgs were sound asleep they climbed up to a shelf, making as little noise as possible. When they reached the plateau Cantus started forward, but Murray held out a hand. "Wait."

Cantus stopped. "What is it?"

Murray walked forward as carefully as if avoiding sawmoss sprouts, then lifted a large boxy knickknack that was shadowing much of the shelf and moved it out of the way. He looked at the shelf, then said, "They've been here."

"What do you see?" Cantus asked.

Murray squatted down. "Footprints. Not ours. Good thing the Gorgs don't dust that often."

Cantus crouched and examined the shelf. He could not see the footprints in this dim, wavery light, but he believed Murray. "Then let's see what they found."

Carefully they pulled the loose stone out of the wall. Behind it was an empty hollow. The music box was gone.

The other Minstrels, waiting just on the other side of the hole in the Gorgs' wall, picked up on Cantus's mood immediately. Normally he was calm and reflective; now he was cheerful. Balsam asked, "Did they find it?"

"They found it," Cantus affirmed.

"So, what do we do now?" Brool asked.

"We pay them a visit."

Normally the Minstrels arrived whenever they arrived, be it morning, afternoon, or evening. However, this time Cantus wanted to make a proper entrance. As soon as the Ditzies became active, lighting the caves, he raised his pipe, and they began their processional. Plants around them as they walked.

When they reached the Great Hall they found Fraggles, still wearing nightshirts and pajamas, enthralled by the music. Cantus sang,
"Music grows in the rose,
Rock and rain and the blowin' snowstorm.
Everything seems to sing
Everywhere I go."
Murray joined him in the refrain.
"I say one, two, play me do.
Let me sound as sweet as you.
Play me wide, play me long,
Let me be your song."
Cantus played a soft solo on his pipe. Flowers bloomed, responding to the music as they would to lifegiving light. The colony's Fraggles stared, hardly able to believe what they were seeing and hearing.
"Lay me down on the ground,
Song comes singin' from the midnight places.
Raise me high in the sky,
Song comes driftin' through.
I say one, two, play me do.
Let me be your song.
"Play me high, play me low,
Play me where the wild wind's blowin',
Play me for your song.
I say one, two, play me do.
Let me be your song."

One Fraggle with wet hair from an early swim could not contain her curiosity. "Who are you?"

"I'm Cantus, and we are the Minstrels. We wander this boundless rock of ours finding Fraggles in distant caves. When we are near, they sing a Fraggle medley. We are near. We are here." Looking around to include all of the Fraggles in the cave, he said, "It's your turn to sing the medley."

The wet Fraggle said eagerly, "A medley? You mean a race? Oh, I bet I'd come in first!"

Cantus replied. "And so you will. One Fraggle must be first to sing. You are the medley leader. What is your name?"

"Oh, Red Fraggle. And I'm great at leading! So, what are the rules?"

"There are no rules, and those are the rules."

Cantus had gone on to explain that every Fraggle had a song, and all of the songs sung together would make the Fraggle Medley. Red had gotten stuck on the question of what her song was. Cantus, of course, had let her tangle with that problem herself. He was testing her.

Murray didn't think much of her chances. He said, "Hey, boss, you sure know how to pick your medley leaders."

"I don't pick them. They pick themselves," Cantus replied calmly as he polished the Magic Pipe.

"Yeah, but this one—we could be here for days!"

"She'll find her song, in time."

Murray had his doubts about that. "In time for tomorrow's medley?"

"She has a long way to go, though the journey is short. The medley will not start without her." He sauntered off, ending the conversation.

Murray turned back to Brio and Balsam, who had been listening. "Did he answer my question?"

Balsam nodded. Brio shook her head.

"That's what I thought," Murray said. Cantus was in his 'mysterious sage' mode, and laying it on particularly thick. When he got like this, the rest of the Minstrels watched the show to see what would happen.

The day wore on. Fraggles were humming and singing, some by themselves, others in couples or groups. They had a talent for singing together, Cantus saw. All Fraggles did, to some degree. These did it as easily and naturally, though, as if it was an everyday event. This pleased him.

Later in the day some of the Fraggles came over to where the Minstrels were playing softly. One of them was Red. She tried to cheat by getting the Magic Pipe to play her song. Of course that was not possible; she would not have a song until she made it. But Cantus could not fault her for trying. She, at least, was determined, and with determination great things could be accomplished.

Afterward Cantus said, "Did you notice what music he asked for?"

"Yeah, I kinda figured she'd...what, he?"

"The small light green one. The first thing he asked to hear was not his own tune, but Doozer music. When has a Fraggle ever asked for Doozer music?" Cantus nodded to himself, very pleased.

All day Red tried to find her song. Rather, she tried to find out how to find her song. Others had theirs; why was it so tough for her?

By that night she had had no success. She knew where the song would be: in the Magic Pipe, which Cantus had said knew every song. And she had to get that song, otherwise they wouldn't be able to sing the Medley, and she would have failed in front of everybody!

With the minimal and very unwilling assistance of her best friend, Mokey, she crept into the Minstrels' camp while they were asleep and got the pipe. She tried to play her song, but only heard a dissonant squawk.

The Magic Pipe would not play for her. It knew that it had been stolen by someone with no right to its music. It cried out to Cantus in the language they shared, and tried to flee. Its assailant would not release it until it burned its mark into her hand.

Cantus did not discover the theft until morning. He looked around the Minstrel's camp, a disturbed expression on his face. None of the Minstrels would have moved it. The other Fraggles had been curious about the pipe, as people always were on first seeing it, but this was the first time it had been taken from him.

He had an idea who had done it, and why.

At First Light the Fraggles gathered around the Minstrels in the Great Hall, eager to begin the Fraggle Medley. The last two to arrive were Red and Mokey. Red looked anxious, and Mokey was dragging her. Seeing them, Murray said, "Hey, the leader's here. Let's get this medley moving."

Cantus announced, "The medley cannot begin."

Surprised, Murray asked, "What's wrong, boss?"

Cantus told them, "My Magic Pipe is missing. Somebody took it."

The Fraggles gasped in shock. Why would anyone steal something so wonderful?

Murray moaned, "Days! We'll be here for days!"

Cantus raised his left hand. A zigzag glowed in his palm. "Whoever took the pipe will bear this mark." He paused, giving them all a chance to see, then continued, "This mark is the pipe's magic way of saying 'uh-uh!'"

Gobo said, "Who would be dumb enough to take that pipe?"

Red said, "Yeah. What a stupid thing to do!"

Looking around, Cantus said, "Does anybody know anything about it?"

Mokey said, "Please, what if the Fraggle who, uh, took the pipe really didn't mean any harm, and it was all just a big misunderstanding?"

Red added, "Yeah, it could happen to anyone!"

Firmly Cantus said, "It could not happen to anyone. There was no misunderstanding."

Gobo asked, "Mokey, do you know who took that pipe?"

"Oh, well, uh...yes, I did, sort of," she said.

The other Fraggles were shocked by her confession. Red called out over the babble, "Wait a moment! Listen to me!" When they did not pay attention she raised her hand, revealing a zigzag matching Cantus's, and shouted, "Look!"

Cantus said, "So, it was you."

Surprised, Red said, "You mean you knew?"

"You were the one who didn't know."

Ashamed, Red confessed, "Yeah, well, I borrowed the pipe so it would play me my song. But then everything went wrong and the pipe dragged me out to the Gorgs' garden. And...that's where it is now."

Reproachfully Cantus said, "You know you should never have taken that pipe. That pipe is magic, and magic is very powerful. Now we must find my pipe."

Cantus walked to the tunnel leading to the Gorgs' garden, and Red followed behind him, feeling very small and ashamed of herself. Mokey, Gobo, and Wembley had tried to come and help, but Cantus had stopped them with a single wave of his hand.

When they arrived Junior Gorg was working in the radish patch. Red nervously said, "I dropped it over there," and pointed to the end of the garden's low stone border.

"You must go over there and get it."

"But-but the Gorg will kill me!" she protested.

Cantus looked over. Junior was busy, his back to them. Cantus said, "Says who?"

"But...but..." Red stammered. Cantus pointed. Red whimpered and started forward.

She had barely begin to search for the pipe when Junior turned and spotted her red shirt against the grassy ground. He raised his rake and said, "Oh-ho! Oh, I'll get you this time, little Fwaggle!"

"No!" Red cried.

Cantus saw that Red was paralyzed with terror. He said, "Pipe, play Gorg music."

The pipe began playing a tune that, while deep and slow, had an infectious bounciness to it. Junior, taken by surprise, forgot about hunting Fraggles and began to dance. Startled by the unexpected reprieve, Red looked around, and found the source of the music. She picked it up and fled back to the safety of Fraggle Rock.

As soon as she and Cantus were safely underground she gave the pipe back to him. "I'm—I'm really sorry. If I knew what would happen I never would have touched it, honest."

"Come, they are waiting for us in the Great Hall," he said in a kind tone.

She was forgiven. She still felt foolish, but at least she made good on her mistake without getting killed!

When they returned to the Great Hall Red told Gobo, "Boy, you should have seen the pipe make that Gorg dance!"

Cantus said, "It played his song. And now, Red Fraggle, you will sing for us your song."

"But—I don't have my song. It's in the pipe."

Cantus replied, "Your song is inside you. Without you, the pipe would be silent. Now sing."

"But I don't have a song!"

Cantus looked heavenward in exasperation and muttered, "I fear I'm losing my implacable calm."

"I've never had a song," she said, looking at the ground.

He exclaimed, "You've always had a song! All Fraggles have songs! Now just listen."

There was silence in the Great Hall as Red looked down again. What song? She had no song. Her mind was empty.

Then, in the silence of her head, she heard something. It was a little tune she'd heard before, she did not know where. It might have been there forever, or she might have heard it long ago, or she might have hummed it herself only days ago without thinking about it. Now it shyly presented itself. She whispered, "Wait a minute, I heard something!" She listened for a moment longer, then noticed her left hand. The zigzag had faded. "Look at my hand!"

Mokey looked at it. "Oh, Red!"

Nodding, Cantus said, "Now, sing."

"Sure!" She sang the tune she had heard in her head. As she sang it, she hoped it was right.

Cantus was nodding. Murray began strumming softly on his guitar. Mokey said, "That's it, Red! Go on."

More confidently now, Red continued singing to the end. Mokey said, "Beautiful!"

"That's my song. I heard it! I sang it!" Red said excitedly.

"About time, too," Murray remarked.

Cantus looked around. "All right, everyone, let the medley begin. Red."

Red sang her song. Then Cantus welcomed Mokey, Gobo, and Wembley to the song one by one. Although their individual songs were different, they blended together to make a unified whole. Soon all the Fraggles in the colony had joined the song. Even Boober was singing from the safety of his tiny cavelet.
"Our melody, come and sing it with me,
It's a song where you know you belong.
Our melody, come and sing it with me,
'Cause you know we belong to the song..."

When the Minstrels left, playing their tune, the Fraggles watched them go, hoping they would be back soon.

Murray, strumming his guitar, asked Cantus, "So, what do you think, boss?"

Cantus understood the implied question. "I think that this is a colony with great potential."

"Lot of growing to do, though."

"Yes. Isn't it wonderful?"

Cantus began playing the pipe, ending the conversation. He was playing the Gorg's song, but with the fast, enegetic pace of Doozer music. Murray chuckled and shook his head. They'd be seeing more of this place, that was for sure.

Fraggle Rock, the song Our Melody, the episode The Minstrels (heavily excerpted here), and all characters are copyright © The Jim Henson Company and are used without permission but with much respect and affection. The overall story is copyright © Kim McFarland (negaduck9@aol.com). Permission is given by the author to copy it for personal use only.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
This seems a little familiar, lol. This was probably one of the more harried and adventurous visits for the Minstrels, what with losing the pipe, and seeing the Gorgs, and dealing with Red. Wherever they went next was probably like a vacation.

Thanks for sharing!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
This is one of the best chapters of the overall story. We've got the main Fraggle clan at the time of the Great Medley. And the pipe knows Gorg music? I'm gonna take that as that Cantus has heard Gorg music from the safety of the other side of the castle's walls/Fraggle tunnel that leads into the Gorgs' kitchen for a while now.

Enjoyed this update very much. Have a great day. :jim:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Figures the best chapter would be about half transcribed from an episode. Maybe I should have listed Jocelyn Stevenson as co-author, heh.

Cantus has been haunting the Gorg castle. It wasn't long ago that he hid the box, and every few days he and Murray have checked the hiding spot. Cantus is still interested in the Gorgs, despite their less-than-perfect first impression. He has heard Gorg music, and so has the pipe, which is not necessarily the same thing. The Magic Pipe did seem to have a mind of its own in that first episode. And, of course, Cantus has also been hanging around Marjory, who has her own agenda with regard to Fraggles, Doozers, and Gorgs.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly. So now that all the major players are on the board's sides, I'd say it's time to find out who makes the first move towards uniting the entire Fraggleverse.