Favorite Kermit Voice Actor? Jim Henson or Steve Whitmire?

Favorite Kermit Voice Actor?

• Jim Henson

Votes: 33 75.0%
  • Steve Whitmire

Votes: 11 25.0%

• Total voters

Bridget

Reaction score
Thank you :smile:! Again, I'm truly sorry about that. Like really sorry. I get really paranoid when I do something wrong, even if it's online... !
:concern:

Auberoun

Reaction score
Everyone makes mistakes, no sense in beating yourself up over it. I am not even a mod, just pointing it out so you're safer. I know I have probably violated some rules on various forums before, no big deal really.

Hubert

Reaction score
About the whole age issue, what you did was not against the rules, if I'm not mistaken. We have no real age limits around here, and none that say you can't say your age. We have had many members openly state their age of 13 or 14 here, no harm done.

The only reason why it would matter would be that if you personally feel safer not revealing your age, for your protection. No real forum rules involved, just your personal comfort zone.

Bridget

Reaction score
Thanks Hurbert, I'll take note of that. :]

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
No one is taking away from Whitmire. He is a brilliant performer who has done the character justice. But the unavoidable fact is that Kermit is Henson's character, and will always be Henson's character. Just as Rizzo is Whitmire's character, and will never really be anybody else's.

Bridget

Reaction score
I agree with the above comment. It's just the matter of originality

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
I agree that Kermit will always be Jim's character, however I do think in a lot of ways, Steve has made Kermit his own while still keeping Jim's Kermit alive (if that makes sense).

I can't help but admire the job Steve has not only done for Kermit but for The Muppets in general. I get the sense of a real leadership quality about him that arose either after Jim's death or after Frank left or maybe just in more recent years when the Muppets weren't doing so well and he and Dave became the only original guys left. From reading/listening to interviews with him on the MuppetCast and Tough Pigs, it seems to me that he's fought really hard to bring The Muppets back to the way they were and fought to get David Rudman and Matt Vogel on board to do Richard and Jerry's characters so they can be brought back more permanantly. He seems to take fan opinion seriously and genuinely cares about not just giving his own characters the treatment they deserve, but the other Performer's characters aswell. I'm not saying the other performers don't but I get the sense that Steve has quite a hand (no pun intended) in recent and current Muppet productions.

To go slightly back more on topic, I don't really prefer one Kermit over the other because, despite slight differences with the voice (which took me a while to notice), they're both the same character to me. Although, interestingly - only to me really - whenever I see Kermit merchandise in the stores now (Plush toys, pez dispensers, posters, etc), I always imagine Steve's Kermit talking to me.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
I have no idea why I chose Steve Whitmire as the favorite Kermit voice actor, but that's what I grew up with. I will agree with everyone including the MC Henson fans that Jim came up with Kermit's personality. Oy, no wonder the Henson's Kermit got more votes that Whitmire's.

I agree that Kermit will always be Jim's character, however I do think in a lot of ways, Steve has made Kermit his own while still keeping Jim's Kermit alive (if that makes sense).

I can't help but admire the job Steve has not only done for Kermit but for The Muppets in general. I get the sense of a real leadership quality about him that arose either after Jim's death or after Frank left or maybe just in more recent years when the Muppets weren't doing so well and he and Dave became the only original guys left. From reading/listening to interviews with him on the MuppetCast and Tough Pigs, it seems to me that he's fought really hard to bring The Muppets back to the way they were and fought to get David Rudman and Matt Vogel on board to do Richard and Jerry's characters so they can be brought back more permanantly. He seems to take fan opinion seriously and genuinely cares about not just giving his own characters the treatment they deserve, but the other Performer's characters aswell. I'm not saying the other performers don't but I get the sense that Steve has quite a hand (no pun intended) in recent and current Muppet productions.

To go slightly back more on topic, I don't really prefer one Kermit over the other because, despite slight differences with the voice (which took me a while to notice), they're both the same character to me. Although, interestingly - only to me really - whenever I see Kermit merchandise in the stores now (Plush toys, pez dispensers, posters, etc), I always imagine Steve's Kermit talking to me.
I have been imaging Whitmitre's Kermit talking to me too whenever I see the merchandise at stores or (sometimes) the Internet.

KingR76

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever had to make a tougher choice.

Yes, of course Jim Henson is the one I grew up with (in fact one of my most earliest memories is seeing the original Muppet Show on Telly on its first run - YES I am that old lol)

BUT! And I know this is me being incredibly biased here, but its because of Steve Whitmire that I was able to actually meet and interact with Kermit.

How can I even choose?

Also, this may seem like a bit of a cop out but essentially Jims essence is very much within Kermit.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Who says you have to make a choice? If both are real to you, then you can do as I do and refuse to place one over the other. They're both Kermit. :smile: