Ted Sequel Announced, Wahlberg CoHosting 2013 Oscars with Seth Mcfarlane

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Fox is probably kicking themselves for passing Ted onto Universal. A $50 million investment yielded over half a Billion dollars worldwide. No one could have predicted that, especially for a Rated R comedy. It broke the mold of how such movies perform at the box office. Of course there's going to be a sequel.

I feel that Ted was MacFarlane's attempt at a transitional film between animation and live action. I believe he plans to eventually just do some live action film work and I don't blame him for wanting to go to a different medium.

I look forward to Ted. There' s unexplored territory of how he'll react to marriage and a baby. That could be really funny.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I believe he plans to eventually just do some live action film work and I don't blame him for wanting to go to a different medium.
The problem is mainstream Hollywood is already overpolluted with lowbrow comedy movies, they're a dime a dozen, they've BEEN old for YEARS now, even Jonah Hill is wanting to get out of that trap.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I feel that Ted was MacFarlane's attempt at a transitional film between animation and live action. I believe he plans to eventually just do some live action film work and I don't blame him for wanting to go to a different medium.
It really stinks that more animators never really get a spot in the limelight for doing that. Tom Cruise completely overshadowed Brad Bird's directing for the last Mission:Impossible movie; And Genndy Tartikofsky (I really can't spell that if I got it wrong) never really made the transition to live action. Meanwhile, half creator of Eek the Cat, Savage Steve Holland just does live action directing (I really want him to pair up with Bill Kopp again and do something legendary). Heck, Seth MacFarline's basically the only animator that mainstream audiences have ever heard of.

I agree to that. I just can't blame him for wanting to leave Family Guy behind and do something else. All the stuff he had to go through just to get the privilege of doing the movie and getting a little time off his shows. He's not even in The Cleveland Show anymore. Jess Harnell plays his one recurring character, and he's been demoted to extra ever since. Not to mention how much he wanted to get his new Flinstones off the ground. And if anyone's going to say "He's going to ruin it," The Pebbles and Bamm Bamm show, Flinstone's Comedy Hour (especially that horrid thing with The Thing), and especially Cave Kids beat him to it.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
The problem is mainstream Hollywood is already overpolluted with lowbrow comedy movies, they're a dime a dozen, they've BEEN old for YEARS now, even Jonah Hill is wanting to get out of that trap.
I really think that MacFarlane will eventually want to direct some middlebrow, and maybe even highbrow, movies. He's a smart, creative and talented guy. It's just the lowbrow gigs have been more lucrative for him. They were his foot in the door. I have no problem with them and I don't think he does either. It seems logical that he has plenty of ideas that fall outside of what he's known for doing and Ted was his baby step toward that.

It really stinks that more animators never really get a spot in the limelight for doing that. Tom Cruise completely overshadowed Brad Bird's directing for the last Mission:Impossible movie; And Genndy Tartikofsky (I really can't spell that if I got it wrong) never really made the transition to live action. Meanwhile, half creator of Eek the Cat, Savage Steve Holland just does live action directing (I really want him to pair up with Bill Kopp again and do something legendary). Heck, Seth MacFarline's basically the only animator that mainstream audiences have ever heard of.

I agree to that. I just can't blame him for wanting to leave Family Guy behind and do something else. All the stuff he had to go through just to get the privilege of doing the movie and getting a little time off his shows. He's not even in The Cleveland Show anymore. Jess Harnell plays his one recurring character, and he's been demoted to extra ever since. Not to mention how much he wanted to get his new Flinstones off the ground. And if anyone's going to say "He's going to ruin it," The Pebbles and Bamm Bamm show, Flinstone's Comedy Hour (especially that horrid thing with The Thing), and especially Cave Kids beat him to it.
I think studio executives are beginning to understand Brad Bird's influence in projects after the luke warm reception of Cars 2, Brave and Jack Reacher. Neither Tom Cruise nor Pixar are the reasons Brad Bird's films have succeeded. He is. Bird's a genius who knows how to tell a story that audiences want to see!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really think that MacFarlane will eventually want to direct some middlebrow, and maybe even highbrow, movies. He's a smart, creative and talented guy. It's just the lowbrow gigs have been more lucrative for him. They were his foot in the door. I have no problem with them and I don't think he does either. It seems logical that he has plenty of ideas that fall outside of what he's known for doing and Ted was his baby step toward that.
Seth really likes farts. He also loves classical Broadway. And he really loves Sound of Music and was reported as being moved to tears seeing it on the big screen.

He has the oddest oeuvre of any cartoonist I've ever seen. A guy who wrote Johnny Bravo episodes is hosting the Oscars. Who would have seen that coming?

I think studio executives are beginning to understand Brad Bird's influence in projects after the luke warm reception of Cars 2, Brave and Jack Reacher. Neither Tom Cruise nor Pixar are the reasons Brad Bird's films have succeeded. He is. Bird's a genius who knows how to tell a story that audiences want to see!
Brad's still just someone known in the film buff/animation nerd community. Mission Impossible and that other thing he's working on I forget the name of (I know it's a year) will be the spring boards to a non-animated career. But I still feel his work is completely under-appreciated until too many years later. To call Iron Giant a masterpiece is redundant. Yet, I hope when he's done with whatever live action projects he's working on, he goes back and does another Pixar film. Preferably a second Incredibles.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Apparently, Seth's in that Movie 43 thing... so at least he's been in 2 movies before he hosted the Oscars.

buttons

Reaction score
I didn't know this! I was cast in TED but I was too ill to make it to set. They understood, which was very nice kind.