I'm a little Fraggle; Boober is my name.

Slackbot

Reaction score

Boober gets no respect at all

Why does Boober look so cheerful?

Yeah, I made a Boober puppet. Considering that I've just finished Sidebottom and had the pattern just lying around, it was inevitable! Boober has a few physical differences, however. His upper palate is segmented so he can frown and scowl, and his hair is shorter. By the way, I gave him a trim to even up his hair--messy hair is Sidebottom's thing--and you'd be amazed at the mess you make trimming ostrich feathers. I had to vacuum the debris out of his fur.

Anyhow, the arm rods are detachable. The head is too; it's on a sleeve that attached to the, er, exit port so hie head can turn freely. His feet are Hobbitously big, and I wonder if it's true what they say about Fraggles with big feet. And I'm not completely happy with his mouth. It's a bit too wide and smiley. Ah well, I'm still a newb.

Keeermit

Reaction score
he looks great - It's great to also see new builders talking about the improvements (you speak about his mouth and feet too big) so their work can improve from puppet to next. The best way to get good at something is practise, not relying on other people to tell you how to do it. Thats how I learnt to build my puppets.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Your Boober Fraggle looks amazing! You're improving better and better. :sigh:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Aaaaaaaah! I love him! You did a great job, he looks excellent, and there's nothing wrong with seeing him happy, lol. I hope him and Sidebottom have a good time! :sigh:

Slackbot

Reaction score
he looks great - It's great to also see new builders talking about the improvements (you speak about his mouth and feet too big) so their work can improve from puppet to next. The best way to get good at something is practise, not relying on other people to tell you how to do it. Thats how I learnt to build my puppets.
Absolutely! Most of the things I like to do are the things I taught myself to do. And I'm really dang fussy when it comes to my own stuff, so I keep an eye out for how I can improve. When I put Janken next to Boober I can really see how I've improved. (Janken's starting to look really terrible to me. He'll be rebuilt before next Dragon*Con.)

One thing I'm still not satisfied with is how to hide the seams. I use a toothbrush to pick the fleece out of the seam and to brush the fleece down afterward. I pick the center of the seam with a needle. Sometimes I even shave the fleece afterward. Still, I can see where the seam is too often. I wonder if my technique just needs more practice, or if there's a different, better way to do it.

FrackleFan2012, Thanks!

charlietheowl, Thanks! I don't know if I want Boober and Sidebottom to have too much fun, at least not while I'm there. My insurance coverage is limited. :wink:

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Absolutely! Most of the things I like to do are the things I taught myself to do. And I'm really dang fussy when it comes to my own stuff, so I keep an eye out for how I can improve. When I put Janken next to Boober I can really see how I've improved. (Janken's starting to look really terrible to me. He'll be rebuilt before next Dragon*Con.)

One thing I'm still not satisfied with is how to hide the seams. I use a toothbrush to pick the fleece out of the seam and to brush the fleece down afterward. I pick the center of the seam with a needle. Sometimes I even shave the fleece afterward. Still, I can see where the seam is too often. I wonder if my technique just needs more practice, or if there's a different, better way to do it.

FrackleFan2012, Thanks!

charlietheowl, Thanks! I don't know if I want Boober and Sidebottom to have too much fun, at least not while I'm there. My insurance coverage is limited. :wink:
Boober was always one of my favorite FR characters. He always come with the best lines and Dave's performance of this guy really gives this character meaning and how we all wish we were like him.

My dad can be like him sometimes and he always does the laundry. Sometimes, I feel so bad for him for getting no respect either.

ncchuck

Reaction score
like I said on face book amazing, you must be real hard on yourself to be ragging on Janken because he still looks great, but I guess artist are their own toughest critic .

Slackbot

Reaction score
The Janken puppet looks good, but, well, I've improved a LOT since I made him, and I'm using better materials. (Cheap fleece, ugh.) The main issue I have with him is that he's supposed to look like Wembley, being Wem's son and all, and if you compare the puppet to my drawings you'll see that they just don't match. The head is too "tall" from jaw to eyes, the cheeks aren't round or flexible enough, and his eyelids don't tilt at the right angle, which changes his expression. I don't actually hate the puppet, I just think I can do much better now.

If I can get Janken to look right, then it'll be easy to make a Wembley puppet, as the pattern for the head will be 90% done! And the pattern is the hardest, most finicky part of puppet making.