Help me salvage this wonky mouth

Jakimus

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

I've been working really hard on my first big puppet, built from the Rotondo pattern from the Forma series at Project Puppet.

I did not, however, order the pattern for the fleece head covering but reverse engineered it myself using the old plastic bag and duct tape method after building the foam head.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with how she turned out - still have some cosmetic work to do on hair, etc.

But the mouth is distractingly wonky. Too much hot glue, too many bumps. Oy. What do I do? Can I save her?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Don't use hot glue for something like this. It does have it uses, but from the picture(s) you posted it looks like that is your problem. You can try carefully reheating the glue (use a hair dryer) to separate the fabric from the mouth plate or cutting it to separate it, but in all likelyhood if you want to improve it you may have to redo it.

I've found it's best to sew the fleece head covering to the fabric for the mouth plate and then carefully glue the mouth plate fabric to the actual mouth plate. You can find a recent thread that discusses this here.

I know it sucks when you make a mistake or something doesn't turn out the way you envision it, but these kinds of mistakes present really good opportunities to learn what not to do and it's a process everyone here goes through.

kumakami

Reaction score
not only that think of it this way...its only the mouth plate that need fixing. Every thing else seems spot on great!

Jakimus

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I'll chalk it up to practice and give it another try.

Animal31

Reaction score
Why don't you give her a lip to cover it? Everything else looks great

cjspiteri

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I'll chalk it up to practice and give it another try.
Thanks for your original post Jakimus and Thanks for the hair dryer advice Buck-Beaver. I have just finished the head of my first build and the thumb and finger straps have come unglued and I have to take down the puppet to repair it.

I really appreciate this forum and the members who contribute their years of experience.