New Muppet Show Update?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, actually there advantages to taping a Muppet special such as this one. From what I understand, the DVD version of Muppet Family Christmas has a few deletions that were included in the TV special's airing but I could be wrong about that. As for the DVD of It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas which aired on NBC last November 2002 will be released by Columbia Pictures in October 2003. Hope this helps and have a good day.

Kermielovah

Reaction score
movies

Thanks for the scoop. I'll be looking for that one to come out.

And p.s.: deletion is evil
:smile:

WiGgY

Reaction score
Count, I think MFC was edited because certain songs were used on the TV special that couldn't be used on the video. Why? I don't know. It must be some weird law thing. The edited version certainly is weird and extremly choppy too.

The latest special shouldn't be edited, in fact it should be whole for the DVD release. If it's not, I won't be buying it. There are a few obvious edits in the TV version.

And whats this I read about the X-mas special theater not being a set? It had to have been in order to do certain things like Lews first scene in the movie I think. Also, the back stage was definatly a set, so I would think they built the rest as well.

redmans

Reaction score
Originally posted by WiGgY
Count, I think MFC was edited because certain songs were used on the TV special that couldn't be used on the video. Why? I don't know. It must be some weird law thing. The edited version certainly is weird and extremly choppy too.
Yeah, you can get more info about that right here at http://www.muppetcentral.com/help/faq/collectibles.shtml
under Question #9: "What scenes are missing from the Muppet Family Christmas video?" I would have quoted it here, but since it's on this very site, I figured I'd just lead you to it.

It was funny. I knew I read about it somewhere, so I did a Google search as I writing this response. I didn't know it would lead me right back here! :smile:

ScottMonster

Reaction score
I was going to answer the question about MFC but I see it's already been done.

The copy of MFC that I own is the butchered version sold on amazon.com. I purchased it with full knowledge of the fact that it had been edited because I thought while an intact copy would have been nice, an edited one was better than none at all. The points in the film where the edits are made are so glaringly obvious, even to someone like myself who never saw the original TV version. You would think Columbia-Tri-Star could have at least put some sort of disclaimer at the beginning explaining why this was done. (Or did they honestly think people wouldn't notice?):rolleyes: However I've watched MFC several times by now and noticed a few continuity errors that can't be explained by the edits that had to be made for legal reasons:

1.During the carol singing scene near the end, the Fraggles come up from their cave to take a peek at all their other Muppet "relatives" and we see them sneak up behind Doc, Sprockett and Uncle Travelling Matt while they are singing "The Holly and The Ivy". Yet in every subsequent shot that has Doc, Sprocket and Travelling Matt visible, the Fraggles have mysteriously vanished.

2. When the singing ends, we see Robin "passing on" the little orange pebble that he got from Boober to Grover, who is beside him. Then the doorbell rings and both Grover and Robin react and there's an immediate cut to a wider shot where Doc comes in dressed as Santa. Robin can still be seen but Grover is suddenly gone.

3. Sprockett is near the front door when Doc/Santa enters and they all start singing "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" Then it cuts to the scene where Jim Henson makes his cameo looking out from the kitchen saying "somebody has to do something about these dishes" to Sprockett who is suddenly right there with him in the Kitchen.

Of couse the production personel and crew, and not anyone at Henson, are the ones to blame for these.

Kermielovah

Reaction score
movie errors

Check out moviemistakes.com and see the things that are an error in all the movies. It is entertaining with the Muppet flicks as well as any other movie that you enjoy.:smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's very cool. However some comments I've read aren't really mistakes. Rather, it's more about the lack of imagination of that particular person. Some of those things just irk me, but others are quite cool.

Like these from Little Mermaid. Here's a lame one:
In the last scene, where Arielle and Eric are sailing away in the boat, the rainbow in the background that Triton casts is backwards. It goes violet, indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red. Very strange.

Good one:
In the scene where Ariel is at dinner with Eric and Grimsby,she begins to brush her hair with a fork. The prong number of the fork changes from shot to shot. Sometimes three, sometimes four.

I'm glad they let you vote on these.

Kermielovah

Reaction score
Good call, I didn't think they needed to ruin some things for me but after a film class in college I am so much more observant now than I was before.