When anniversary seasons end...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Something I've been wondering for awhile now: Whenever Sesame Street has an anniversary season, do you ever feel a bit sad when the next season has started? They've spent a whole year promoting an anniversary, and suddenly it's over... To me, I feel the same way as I do on the day after Christmas, or the day after the holiday season is over (actually I feel the holiday season ends on or after New Years, even though there's a few days left before school starts), or when the school year begins after two and a half months of summer... It's just a rather sad feeling I get. Ever since the 30th anniversary I've felt this way when seasons 31, 36, and 41 have begun. Assuming Sesame Workshop will celebrate the 45th season in two years I'll probably feel a bit of sadness when season 46 comes. But I thought it'd be interesting to see how others felt regarding post-anniversary seasons.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Nah, I just look forward to the next big milestone season, currently Season 45. Though I must admit, it's gonna slightly suck not having Kevin & Jerry be a part of it.

ssetta

Reaction score
I have felt that way sometimes, but not always. I didn't think Season 40 was that great, and I actually thought Season 36 was a tad better than 35, but I do sort of remember feeling that way about Season 30. Out of all the anniversary seasons mentioned above, I think Season 30 is my favorite out of those, mainly because there were a lot of classic clips being shown at the time, often made to seem like they were happening on that very day, which I actually liked. I remember Season 31 still had SOME classic clips, but not as many as season 30.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season 30 holds really fond memories for me as well, that was when I started watching SST regularly again, after having been alienated by ATC; Season 30, as a whole, was just a really great season, between the inclusion of classic material, the overall throwback feeling to older seasons, and yes, EW was good at first. All and all, I think I would agree that Season 30 is my favorite anniversary season as well (that I remember seeing).

Season 35 is kind of bittersweet to me: when that season was in its initial was when I was dealing one of two bouts of depression, so while I have no pleasant memories from that specific timeframe, I DO remember that there were a number of episodes from that season that lifted me out of the well of my despair and raised me to the light of day, if only for one hour. Too bad Season 37 didn't have that same kind of effect when I went through depression number two in 2006-2007, but I digress.

I haven't gotten to see a whole lot of Season 40 since my PBS changed their schedule to play SST at an inconvenient time starting with Season 39, I really only got to see maybe the first week's worth of new episodes when Prawnie asked me to fill in Oscarfan in reviewing the first week of episodes for the Muppet Mindset.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Out of all the anniversary seasons mentioned above, I think Season 30 is my favorite out of those, mainly because there were a lot of classic clips being shown at the time, often made to seem like they were happening on that very day, which I actually liked.
According to Muppet Wiki, one of the main curriculum goals of that season was to expose many of the classic songs, and it seems many classic songs had gotten new versions, in addition to showing the classic clips. Interestingly, I recall the season two Rubber Duckie was in two episodes that season, while a new version (I think) was introduced that year as well, in addition to one episode showing a film insert that had Ernie singing Rubber Duckie over footage of kids taking baths.

Of course, considering the focus on reintroducing old songs, it seems there are quite a few that weren't shown at all (I watched the show on an almost daily basis that season, and only missed a few episodes). I don't recall that season having classic songs like Doin' the Pigeon, Bein' Green, or Elmo's Song. But it did have a few segments that I barely remembered from childhood but hadn't seen too often, like The Ballad of Casey McPhee and the Teeny Little Super Guy segments.

I hadn't watched much Sesame Street in seasons 27 or 28, then watched a bit more during season 29 (and several season 29 episodes would be reaired quite a bit after season 30 premiered, including all the "Slimey goes to the moon" episodes being rebroadcast in the weeks before season 31 premiered), and it seems like a lot of classic characters were shown significantly less in season 30, while they seemed to appear quite a bit in season 29. It seems Kermit was only in about 7 episodes of season 30, most of them being news segments, and there was very little-to-no Guy Smiley, Sherlock Hemlock, Biff, Sully, or Forgetful Jones starting then (a few years ago I saw on Muppet Wiki that there was at least one instance each of them airing classic Guy Smiley and Sherlock Hemlock segments in season 30) while I think segments with them were common in season 29.

Of course there have been a few times where I've seen people from Sesame Workshop use the addition of Elmo's World as an excuse for the lack of certain characters. For example the official Sesame Workshop page had something answering questions from fans, one about the lack of the Twiddlebugs, saying that Elmo's World bumped out time for them (I assumed they stopped making new Twiddlebugs segments because of the deaths of Jim and Richard and lack of involvement from Frank, though it seems new segments with the Twiddlebugs were becoming scarce in the 1980s. While EW is long, I feel they could have managed to squeeze in time for segments with certain characters. It makes more sense to not see more characters now when most of the show is made up of long segments that have to air on a daily basis).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I think one thing I kinda like about season 30 is how it made the segments not really filler material and more-so part of the cohesive whole of the show.

ssetta

Reaction score
We don't even know if there will be a 50 milestone.