Jim Henson Exhibition at Museum of Moving Image, London, 1990

Great Gommzo

Reaction score
Recently came across these old pics from the Jim Henson exhibition at London's (now closed) Museum of Moving Image, way back in December 1990. It was just a few months after Jim's tragic early death and for an already lifelong Muppet fan (It was for my 12th birthday), I really enjoyed it and found it quite a therapeutic way to celebrate this great man. Although quite eerie also seeing these beloved characters, so full of life on TV, in glass boxes! Still have very fond memories of this (I'll be 35 this year!).

There was also some great behind the scenes stuff including a model of how they did the famous bicycle scene in Great Muppet Caper, but I won't ruin the magic by revealing that!

Anyway, the pics I've managed to track down are here: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/oldmuppetfan

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Recently came across these old pics from the Jim Henson exhibition at London's (now closed) Museum of Moving Image, way back in December 1990. It was just a few months after Jim's tragic early death and for an already lifelong Muppet fan (It was for my 12th birthday), I really enjoyed it and found it quite a therapeutic way to celebrate this great man. Although quite eerie also seeing these beloved characters, so full of life on TV, in glass boxes! Still have very fond memories of this (I'll be 35 this year!).

There was also some great behind the scenes stuff including a model of how they did the famous bicycle scene in Great Muppet Caper, but I won't ruin the magic by revealing that!

Anyway, the pics I've managed to track down are here: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/oldmuppetfan
That's wonderful. The only problem is that I can't see your photos.

Great Gommzo

Reaction score
yeh, was great. Haven't got photos but they also had some animatronic stuff from Labyrinth and Turtles I think (I remember being able to control a turtle's face on a demo thing they had). Shame this museum closed as they had some great visiting exhibitions like this one. Somewhere my mum also has a pic from this exhibition of Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Rowlf, Gonzo and Camilla in their sparkly Muppets Take Manhatten outfits, though not been able to track that down yet.

Great Gommzo

Reaction score
Found some info about the museum. Apparently it closed in 2007. Here is a (muppet-free) video of the museum.

Muppetlab

Reaction score
I went there when i was a kid!!!.. Wow this brings back memories :smile:
I remember hoggles head was interactive.. I remember pushing buttons and pulling levers to make him blink etc!! Thanks for posting :smile:

Kermieuk

Reaction score
A friend told me they had seen this advertised in a mag. I researched it and it closed that day. I was gutted I didn't get to see it.
I hope one day the JIM Henson legacy will bring one of the current exhibits to the UK.

Might just have to save up to visit the new west wing in Atlanta if it ever opens!!

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Chris

Great Gommzo

Reaction score
Would be interesting to see if they could even do an exhibit like this today, given that all these franchises are now under different ownership - Muppets under Disney, Fraggles / Labyrinth etc under Henson, and Sesame under the Sesame workshop.