The Darkwing Duck Thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I know that the show has had a number of different openings (though they all use clip montages and the same theme song), including the reruns and DVD releases. But I noticed that in Twitching Channels, at one point a version of the opening is shown... I think it has some of the same clips as on the DVDs, but also some different ones. What I wonder is if what's sampled in that episode might be the opening as seen in the original Disney Afternoon airings.

Of course I don't think I've seen any other openings on YouTube. Pretty much every episode that's been uploaded has the opening that replaced all openings on YouTube (if the opening is included.... for awhile Warner Music Groups made them take down the opening, but now it seems people have been able to upload episodes with the opening). I watched the show during its 1991-1992 run but can't remember what all was in the Disney Afternoon opening (or the Saturday morning opening, though I watched the show on ABC less).

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I haven't seen this show since I was a kid, but loved it as a child. I always liked Launchpad, since he was on both Darkwing Duck and Ducktales. I remember having the Launchpad and Bushroot figures, while my brother had Darkwing and Megavolt. We also each had our own gas gun. I hear the new comic is good, so I'll have to check it out.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
. I hear the new comic is good, so I'll have to check it out.
The comic from Boom studios (or as they call their kids comics line "Kaboom") is totally amazing. Not just with Darkwing Duck, but all the Disney characters they were making comics of were all worth a read if you're a fan of Disney. They are totally worth the read, I am on the hunt to get the whole series of Darkwing Duck, along with Sonic the Hedgehog comics, myself. Sadly, where I live, I don't see comic shops that have any back issues of either titles, so it's all eBay for me. But yes, they are very much worth the read. If you don't feel like hunting for all the comics like I do however, they (or at least some) are made into trade paperback graphic novels, I bought my set of "the Duck Knight Returns" which contains the first four issues. Totally worth it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Best of luck tracking it down though. If you can find the graphic novels at various little comic stores, you might be able to get them for cover price. It goes without saying these are completely out of print, and therefore they could go for a fortune on amazon.

Single issues? Only if you're really really lucky. You may find some Ducktales ones because somehow someone said their terrible at one point (due to the crappy outsourced artwork in issue 2, they replaced them by issue 3). I'm very disappointed the license didn't last longer.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
The comic from Boom studios (or as they call their kids comics line "Kaboom") is totally amazing. Not just with Darkwing Duck, but all the Disney characters they were making comics of were all worth a read if you're a fan of Disney. They are totally worth the read, I am on the hunt to get the whole series of Darkwing Duck, along with Sonic the Hedgehog comics, myself. Sadly, where I live, I don't see comic shops that have any back issues of either titles, so it's all eBay for me. But yes, they are very much worth the read. If you don't feel like hunting for all the comics like I do however, they (or at least some) are made into trade paperback graphic novels, I bought my set of "the Duck Knight Returns" which contains the first four issues. Totally worth it.
Yes, I heard the Gargoyles series was also excellent. I never got into Gargoyles as much as I did Darkwing Duck, but I'd still like to check it out.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Best of luck tracking it down though. If you can find the graphic novels at various little comic stores, you might be able to get them for cover price. It goes without saying these are completely out of print, and therefore they could go for a fortune on amazon.

Single issues? Only if you're really really lucky. You may find some Ducktales ones because somehow someone said their terrible at one point (due to the crappy outsourced artwork in issue 2, they replaced them by issue 3). I'm very disappointed the license didn't last longer.
Thanks, I'm going to need it, :smile:.

Yeah, I'm very disappointed the license didn't last longer either. Thank goodness, I bought issue #1, cover B when I did, that's issue that's starting to really go up in value and it's sells for up to 13 dollars or so. I actually just bought issue 12, the one with the mock X-Men cover, for a fair price, what really kills me about buying from sites like eBay is the shipping, :grr:. But once that comic gets here, I'm more than a third of the way there (not counting all the variant covers right now.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm personally more annoyed that because of the Marvel buyout by Disney, Disney will only let Marvel publish their comics. And Marvel has no desire to publish Disney comics at that (they did have a one shot Monsters Inc comic, but if it's not a movie adaption, they could care less). Which does mean no Disney Afternoon continuations, but more importantly, no Scrooge McDuck or Donald Duck comics. These are staples of the funny animal genre that have stood the test of time.

Meanwhile, Warner Bros gave Boom the license to Adventure Time and Regular Show, and IDW the rights to classic CN toons and action based shows, past and present. Need I remind anyone WB owns DC comics? If WB can outsource while owning its own comic publisher, Disney sure could sub-license Walt Disney Comics and Stories style reprints/translations to another indie company that doesn't also own the most famous and marketable characters in the world. Without Spider-Man and Iron Man taking the spotlight, and indie publisher would be more than happy to have a famous name in their corner.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I saw this review today...

I never knew it existed before. The review says it's from the 1980s, but it's probably actually from the 1990s (since Darkwing wasn't around in the 1980s). I wonder if there were 12 inch figures of any other characters.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's a holy Grail for me. Playmates did occasionally release tall action figures. I remember they did it with the Simpsons and had a few of them before they just didn't sell. I recall a large Smithers that came with a computer with the "You're quite good at Turning me on" screensavor on it... Homer came with Pinchy the Lobster.

I never saw the large Darkwing in stores (saw the gas gun though)... but I did see it in of all things a wall paper sample book (you know how close I almost got to having my parents get me Darkwing Duck wall trim?)...

Anyway, the tradition continues... they have large figures of the new TMNT series.

Slackbot

Reaction score
The review says it's from the 1980s, but it's probably actually from the 1990s (since Darkwing wasn't around in the 1980s). I wonder if there were 12 inch figures of any other characters.
Ah yes. I have two of those figures, and I painted one up to look like Negaduck. That was the only "supersized" figue.

And, heh, I have some DWD wall trim, still in the package.