Remembering Jim Henson

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I think Jim and Jane as well as Jerry, Richard and others in the world of the Muppets who have passed on will be happy that they are being remembered for the silliness, happiness, and love that they brought to millions of people and that still continues today.

RIP Jim and Jane, thank you for all you've done

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i can not belive its been 23 years...RIP to both Jim and Jane 2 people who have helped inspire me all these years

RC1979

Reaction score
Jim Henson gave magic to the muppets, rest in piece Jim.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Share your memories of May 16, 1990 and the impact Jim Henson continues to have on your life.
Well I can certainly say that Jim Henson inspired my life a lot and continues to this day. I didn't know Jim passed away until later but I do remember going to Sesame Street Live at age 3, looking at the activity book of "Sleeping Birdie" and on possibly the last page, there was a very familiar image.

In fact, this is the very image.

I knew that was Kermit but I asked myself,.....who's that guy next to him.

Soon enough I got to see "The World of Jim Henson" on PBS and "The Jim Henson Hour: The Secrets of The Muppets" on Nickelodeon, and checking out the same Jim Henson biographies from my local library over and over. I had quite a journey as a fan. I meet Jane who told me to build my own puppets which I did. Cheryl Henson sent me a free copy of "Muppets Make Puppets" in the mail. I got to meet her when my mother got in contact with someone who knew someone who worked for The Jim Henson Company at the time. I got a great tour of The Townhouse and The Muppet Workshop in 1998. Then in 2001, like many here I'm amusing, I went to MuppetFest.

When I was a teen in high school, I knew that I wanted to create my own life and do all that I love to do. Long story short I escaped my abusive father's house to go live on my own. Even though I was recovering from deep depression and was diagnosed PTSD. I always felt that Art gave me hope.

Jim Henson's positive attitude towards life and work was something I was also inspired by besides his work. I wanted to have a positive attitude like that. Then someone who was helping me with a part of my new life's journey told me to check out this movie "The Secret". And The Law of Attraction changed my life for the better. I studied Bob Proctor and Abraham Hicks. Abraham was inspired by Seth Speaks. Now where did I here that title before. It was in a Jim Henson interview. I thought it was a fictional fantasy novel. I bought the book and I realized, Jim Henson studied Law of Attraction and I didn't even know it. I noticed coincidences like this happened a lot. I focused on something I was interested in which wasn't even related to Jim's work and soon enough, I would learn Jim had an interest in too. I bought a motion capture book, and a picture of Jim was in it. Even things as small as me being interested in playing the piano as a kid, I found something on Jim's Red Book on how Jim learned to play piano growing up. I've had dreams that I meet Jim, 3 times. Some people might not believe in spiritual signs, but I for one do. Jim had a quote in "It's Not Easy Being Green and Other Things To Consider" talking about how sometimes Teenagers feel the world is against them but the truth is they are doing it to themselves and sometimes it's just as simple as turning on the light switch. I didn't get this quote but after studying Law of Attraction, it all makes since.

Jim Henson continues to be my #1 hero and influence and I'm very grateful for that, as well as this new biography that's coming out. If there's something that I've learned from Jim's guidance, it's this. We control our own lives and focus closely to our goals, dreams and loves in life. Because when we do, we will attract it into our lives. Like in the words of Dr. Teeth, You can't take no for an answer. If you listen closely to the lyrics of Rainbow Connection, a lot of that relates to this. "So we've been told and some choose to believe it. I know they're wrong, wait and see. Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection. The lovers, the dreamers and me." And that's exactly what Jim did. He followed his rainbow connection. :smile: And I think I'm on my life's journey following my Rainbow Connection. :smile:

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
I was born six years after Jim passed away and didn't even know about him until 2012. In fact, I didn't think much of the Muppets until I learned about him. You see after watching 'The Muppets' I was curious to know who would actually do puppetry for a living. I found Steve Whitmire, which of course led me to discovering Jim. The more I read, the more I learned and the more I loved.

With an imagination of over-the-top proportions, Jim created an innocent place where no one is to be excluded from. And for it to be continuing on in a world that is becoming a little more rough is incredible. I don't know about you guys, but while there is still a trace of Jim on earth, both he and I will be at peace.

GoboDeadly95

Reaction score
I actually wasn't even born yet. I know though that he has influenced me as a writer, as an artist, and as a person. I know I would have never made it through my art class without his influence. Jim Henson has been a positive influence on me simply because of the legacy he left in place with his films, TV programs, and music. I know whenever my day is going terribly that I can LISTEN to Let Me Be Your Song and my day will be infinitely better. I know because of Jim Henson I will join the ranks of the lovers and dreamers with him.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
R.I.P Jim Henson

He really changed the world of puppetry and I believe he is one of our biggest inspirations in puppetry, too. :smile:

PopoverFroggy

Reaction score
A few days after Jim Henson died, I was vacationing in Boston with my mom, looking at universities. We were in the hotel watching TV one night, and I found myself flipping channels to every news station as each showed Jim Henson's funeral. Images of a cathedral full of butterfly puppets, Big Bird and other Muppets singing "Just One Person" brought me to tears. Even now, decades later, I still can't recall any celebrity whose death brought so much emotion to me like that. Perhaps it's because he made me see everything around me as potential creatures ready to sing, dance or eat each other.

edm9596

Reaction score
Jim's work changed my life forever, though he died before I was born. He taught me to believe...that is something no other celebrity has enstilled in me before.
Rest in peace, Jim. :smile:

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I was born 4 years after Jim passed, so I can't say I miss him. But I really do love the work that he has done.