New movies coming out...

radionate

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Well... it's the 2 guys from the Movie Strange Brew...
Actually Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis are both alums from SCTV (Second City TV). It was big during the 80's and was a rival for Saturday Night Live.

Second City of course is the famous improv troop/school that was started in Chicago and now has troops based in many cities, and touring troops as well (I just met with one a few weeks ago). Second City was where people like Gilda Radner and Tina Fey have gotten their start.

Of course, Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis have done a multitude of things besides Strange Brew. Most recently Dave was on the sitcom "Grace Under Fire" and Rick has done movies such as "the Flintstones" and "Honey I Shrunk the Kids"

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Dave Thomas was in the movie Follow That Bird adn is the shorter, fatter of the Sleeze Brothers Fun Fair guys; the other was David Flaherty (?) and both were from SCTV--as was John Candy. I suppose now all they need to do is get Eugene Levy to do somethign with the Muppets because all the original SCTV folks have performed with the Muppets so far.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I finally saw "Secondhand Lions" today. It was great! I really liked it. But then how can you go wrong with Haley Joel Osment, Michael Caine and Robert Duvall all in one movie? :wink: A really nice light-hearted and heartwarming family movie. I highly recommend it! :smile:
Erin

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Hopefully I'll get to see it soon. It does look very good.

Saw School of Rock today. One of those few very good throw-away movies. It is actually very heartwarming, moreso than I expected; and of course Jack Black is great.

I'm looking forward to Gothika; is anyone else? I'm not holding my breath, though, since horror movies of today almost always fail to "completely" grasp the entire concept; but for now it looks good.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
trekkie1701E said:
Hopefully I'll get to see it soon. It does look very good.

Saw School of Rock today. One of those few very good throw-away movies. It is actually very heartwarming, moreso than I expected; and of course Jack Black is great.
I'm supposed to go see "School of Rock" today. Should be fun! :smile:
Erin

Drtooth

Reaction score
radionate said:
Actually Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis are both alums from SCTV (Second City TV). It was big during the 80's and was a rival for Saturday Night Live.

Second City of course is the famous improv troop/school that was started in Chicago and now has troops based in many cities, and touring troops as well (I just met with one a few weeks ago). Second City was where people like Gilda Radner and Tina Fey have gotten their start.

Of course, Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis have done a multitude of things besides Strange Brew. Most recently Dave was on the sitcom "Grace Under Fire" and Rick has done movies such as "the Flintstones" and "Honey I Shrunk the Kids"

I was kinda getting at the fact that they were doing the MacKenzie Brothers flavored Schtick as Moose... I'm dying to see it now...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It appears the reviews are in for the new Matrix installment and it doesn't look good. I guess big fans of the series will like it, but I was disappointed by the first sequel. I felt the original film was much better. Yahoo lists the first critics reviews averaging a C+ which is a huge disappointment for this type of film. It's called everything from disappointing to pompous. I'm going to see it next week, but I hope these reviews are wrong. I don't often listen to the critics. Actually I kind of critique critics, but I was really let down by Reloaded. I hoped this film would redeem the trilogy. It fared a letter grade better from user reviews, but that's common.

Since I won't be seeing it for several days I'd like to hear what people have to say about the picture.

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Funny, I like the second film better than the first. Sure, the first one has a deeper story. But the sequel has a story "and" more awesome special effects (the car chase sequence is killer:smile:!).
But, to each his own.
Right now, the movie I'm looking forward to the most is Back in Action. It looks so much better than Space Jam. The only reasons that films great is to see MJ and some of his great NBA counterparts interact with cartoons.
Without them, Space Jam would be pretty lifeless. The writing is mediocre -- very mediocre -- at best, and the animation isn't very good. From the trailers, BIA looks like it uses the same style; but at least the interaction between cartoons & live-action seems better utilized and executed.

Drtooth

Reaction score
BIA... well First I was excited, then I didn't feel like seeing it after a few sneak previews over the Summer, now I cannot wait...

The one thing I hated about Space Jam was the Looney Tunes cow towing to Mike. This looks like it has more potential for stretch time here... And Steve Martin as a crazy guy again! I cannot wait.

Broither Bear also looks great, and I may/maynot see it tommorrow depending on what happend.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I couldn't stand Space Jam. It gets a 99% rotten on my tomato meter and the sports figures really only added to my distaste for the film. Seemed like a really long MCI commercial. Why did they need to mix sports with the characters in order to make a film. Seemed like pandering to me. The fact that some compared it to Roger Rabbit really upset me. Chuck Jones was consulted for Roger, but WB didn't think he was important enough to be part of the Space Jam production. A huge lost opportunity and slap in the face of the best WB artist and creator. I have a hard time finding what's right about that film. I think this new one will be better. I hope it is. The animation looks classic and fluid. The story is very WB-ish. And Steve Martin beats the pants off of MJ in the comedy department any day.