Dark Crystal novel writing contest

Slackbot

Reaction score
*chuckle* As a manager of two Henson DeviantArt groups, I've seen a ton of Jareth/Sarah material recently. It'd be wall-to-wall shipping.

If I was into The Dark Crystal I'd be all over this. Ah well. I hope they get some good entries.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
This isn't exactly fan fiction writing though.

It seems that Henson has specific plans to release a Dark Crystal graphic novel sometime in the near future, but to make it exciting, and to add interest, they've opened a contest where YOU can choose what will happen in the book. I guess it's pretty cool.

I haven't seen Dark Crystal in it's entirety yet, so no entry from me.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
To be fair, not all Labyrinth fics are exclusively Jareth/Sarah shipping, you have to find them. And know authors who focus more on the ruling family of Moraine. *coughredpiggycough*.
But Dark Crystal is a bit more obscure and more prevalent for Tolkienish narratives, so I'd imagine they'll get good entries, meh entries, and outright awful entries.

*Goes to raid the Skeksis archives for story fodder at the Castle of Thraa.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Sounds good. Too bad Im not good at writing :-(

Squall Leonhart

Reaction score
Wow, Seriously?! That is awesome ... and totally unfair. I have so much stuff going on right now that I don't think my brain could think straight on the world of Thra ... and am OCD with that movie ... and everything to do with it. WHY NOW!? Why not four months ago?!Why not when MY land was Green and Good before MY Crystal cracked? :scary: Hmmmm?

Rachael

Reaction score
Ha, I saw this and immediately thought about the AU scenario where this contest was to write a Labyrinth novel. I think they'd be absolutely swamped with Sarah/Jareth smut fics a la Fifty Shades of Grey. That's a property where JHC are sensible to avoid any attempts to harness the fandom - Labyrinth fans have very interesting ideas about how a sequel should pan out and that meant the response to RTL was, in some areas, deeply hostile.

And that's not to say that all Labyrinth fanfic is Sarah/Jareth smut - just a significant portion. And I would venture to say that 98% of Labyrinth fanfic is heavily focused on the Sarah/Jareth dynamic.

But to return to the actual topic of discussion, this seems cool. I'm not a Dark Crystal fan myself but this seems like a neat opportunity!

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
At least they've got rules, standards, a definite backstory and it's not going to be the 'If if passes muster, it's published' thing going on over at Amazon. These things are going to be under scrutiny every step of the way. They're not going to let anything stereotypically fan-fic-y through.

Even so, I just know the lion's share of the entries are going to be from people who ignore the rules, forget the standards, don't read the backstory and tipe they're sentinzes liek this, but think they're literary geinuses.

...I think I'm going to go for it. I probably don't have a snowball's chance in you-know-where of making it to the top five, let alone actually winning, but it never hurts to try.

HandsomeFrog

Reaction score
At least they've got rules, standards, a definite backstory and it's not going to be the 'If if passes muster, it's published' thing going on over at Amazon. These things are going to be under scrutiny every step of the way. They're not going to let anything stereotypically fan-fic-y through.

Even so, I just know the lion's share of the entries are going to be from people who ignore the rules, forget the standards, don't read the backstory and tipe they're sentinzes liek this, but think they're literary geinuses.

...I think I'm going to go for it. I probably don't have a snowball's chance in you-know-where of making it to the top five, let alone actually winning, but it never hurts to try.
Im with this guy! Im going for it! But first...isnt the gelfling gathering when the urSkeks gathered everyone to see the purity cleansed from their soul (great division) or am i wrong?