Speculation: Sesame Street 45th Anniversary Possibilities

SSLFan

Reaction score
I just want a prime-time television special. That's one thing I didn't like about the 40th anniversary. It honestly seemed like a given they would've done one to mark 40 YEARS. Here's to hoping we get one for the 45th.

FunnyBear

Reaction score
Regarding what I thought for an anniversary album, here's a selection of songs I thought up (which I think would be a realistic way to go);

Disc 1: Essentials
1. Sesame Street Theme... The Kids
2. Rubber Duckie... Ernie
3. C is for Cookie... Cookie Monster
4. What I Am... Will.I.Am and the Muppets
5. ABC-DEF-GHI (1980s version)... Big Bird
6. La, La, La... Bert and Ernie
7. Elmo's Song... Elmo, Big Bird, and Snuffy
8. I Love Trash... Oscar the Grouch
9. The People in Your Neighborhood... Bob and the Anything Muppets
10. Bein' Green... Lena Horne and Kermit
11. Nasty Dan... Johnny Cash and Oscar
12. The Song of the Count... The Count
13. Fuzzy and Blue (and Orange)... Grover, Herry, Cookie Monster, and Frazzle
14. Telephone Rock... Little Jerry and the Monotones
15. Because We're Friends... Abby, Zoe, and Rosita
16. Doin' the Pigeon... Bert
17. Fat Cat... Bip Bippadotta and the Anything Muppets
18. Imagine That... Ernie
19. I Like My Hair... A Girl
20. Do De Rubber Duck... Ernie, Telly, Oscar, Kermit, The Count, Biff, Guy Smiley, Gladys, and Hoots.
21. Sing... The Cast (preferably the version from 20 and Still Counting... if they can't do that (due to Henson owning the rights to that special) then the version from A Musical Celebration)

Disc 2: Fan Favorites and Unreleased
1. Special... Grover
2. That Grouchy Face... James Taylor and Oscar
3. U Really Got a Hold of Me... Smokey Robinson
4. 1,2,3,4... Feist and the monsters
5. Hurray-Hurray for Broccoli... Abby Cadabby
6. I Love My Elbows... Kermit the Frog
7. You're Alive... Chrissy and the Alphabeats
8. If I Was a Cloud in the Sky... Mr. Snuffleupagus
9. Wheels on my Feet... Big Bird
10. Things That I Remember... Bert and Ernie
11. What's the Name of That Song?... Forgetful Jones and friends
12. Disco Toothbrush... A Monster
13. Song About Elmo... Adam Sandler and Elmo
14. A Cookie is a Sometimes Food... Hoots the Owl and Cookie Monster
15. Me Am What Me Am... Cookie Monster
16. A Song from Kermit... Kermit the Frog
17. Bert's Blanket... Bert and the Sheep
18. Trash Outta Heaven... Oscar the Grouch
19. You Say Hola and I Say Hola... Maria and Luis
20. Tu Me Gustas... Rosita and Gabby
21. You Tickle Me... Elmo, Zoe, Telly, Baby Bear, Herry, Rosita, and Frazzle
NO! No, "A Cookie is a Sometime Food". That would start a fight about Cookie Monster being Veggie Monster. And what about Bein' Green

minor muppetz

Reaction score
NO! No, "A Cookie is a Sometime Food". That would start a fight about Cookie Monster being Veggie Monster.
People will likely believe that rumor regardless of whether the song's available to see or hear. Besides, both DVD releases of that song also have the segment where Cookie Monster clears up the rumor to Matt Lauer (not sure if that's the reason for including that sketch or not). In fact, my list included "Me Am What Me Am" immediately afterwards. That song is about how he still likes cookies but will eat anything.

FunnyBear said:
And what about Bein' Green
I did list it. Number 10 in disc 1, listed the version with Lena Horne, actually.

FunnyBear

Reaction score
People will likely believe that rumor regardless of whether the song's available to see or hear. Besides, both DVD releases of that song also have the segment where Cookie Monster clears up the rumor to Matt Lauer (not sure if that's the reason for including that sketch or not). In fact, my list included "Me Am What Me Am" immediately afterwards. That song is about how he still likes cookies but will eat anything I Did list it. Number 10 in disc 1, listed the version with Lena Horne, actually.
That was a result of me only skimming through the list, and people "Veggie Monster Idiots" will just hear Cookie is a Sometimes Food and think, Veggie Monster is real!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just want a prime-time television special. That's one thing I didn't like about the 40th anniversary. It honestly seemed like a given they would've done one to mark 40 YEARS. Here's to hoping we get one for the 45th.
Again, I blame PBS. Somewhere down the line, they got so desperate and started running said Self Help infomercials instead of actual special programming during pledge months. A Sesame Street special would be perfect for a pledge month special, but they rarely move from those kind of programs and Celtic people singing decidedly non-Celtic songs.

The season 40 special was supposed to be the season premiere episode broadcast at night, and we didn't even get that.

That said, I don't trust the regular networks to get involved. Ever since the last decade, they hated the idea of a TV special that isn't Christmas related.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
When it comes to the possibility of a 45th anniversary DVD, I'd like for Sesame Workshop to do what they did for the 40th: Have fans nominate clips they'd like to see included. But I'd also like them to combine that with what they did for the Best of Friends DVD, where fans could only vote (and not nominate) a selection of nominated clips (well, several months after the fan nominating began, Amazon.com had fans vote for one of a selection of clips to include). And combine THAT with what they did for the 40th anniversary book, where they nominate some things and had fans vote for what to include over the course of three weeks.

Basically, I'd like Sesame Workshop to allow it's facebook and twitter followers to nominate clips, and then after a few months have weekly voting on certain clips, selected by Sesame Workshop. Like one week fans can vote for a selection of nominated clips with certain characters, the next week vote for certain clips arranged by other characters, the next vote for a selection of animation/live-action clips, the next vote for select installments of various recurring segments, and so on, but I'd still like it to include some clips not nominated (particularly clips none of the fans are too aware of, and therefore can't nominate because we've never heard of them). I'd be surprised if they let fans vote for a selection of guest star clips (the guest star clips are the only clips on The Best of Friends DVD that weren't nominated). It would, however, be a shame if they allowed fans to vote for super-rare clips and showed pictures, only for them not to get enough votes.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I'd like to see a new (physical) anniversary album, even though it'd most likely have tracks we've heard many times. But I could also see it having unreleased tracks from the last 10-15 years. I'd also like it to have all or most of the songs I listed in my two Muppet Mindset articles listing the top ten (okay, it's actually 20, since it's two lists) Sesame Street songs not on any album. Maybe a two-disc anniversary set, disc one being an "essentials" disc (though some of the unreleased songs on my lists I feel are essential, such as "Imagine That", "Bert's Blanket", and "Fat Cat") and disc two being fan favorites and all-unreleased stuff.

One thing I had considered for an April Fools thread this year, and it would probably be too late for it to work next year (as I'm sure anniversary plans as well as plans for the season in general will be announced by then) was for a handful of two-disc anniversary DVD releases spread out through the year:
  • Sesame Street Silver Collection - Featuring many of the best fan favorites.
  • Sesame Street Gold Collection - Featuring four of the best-known episodes: "Goodbye, Mr. Hooper", "Snuffy is Seen", "Luis and Maria Get Married", and "Slimey Lands on the Moon", plus a selection of memorable street stories.
  • Sesame Street Ruby Collection - Featuring all of the best-known recurring segments. Disc 1 would be all long-form segments like "Elmo the Musical", "Elmo's World", "Super Grover 2.0", and "Abby's Flying Fairy School", while disc 2 would be additional recurring segments like "Monsterpiece Theater", "Sesame Street News", "Super Grover", "Miami Mice", "Mysterious Theater", and so on.
  • Sesame Street Platinum Collection - Disc 1 would be various street stories, disc 2 would be various inserts.

I could go for any of those ideas, or the ideas I had for individually-sold discs representing different 15-year periods. A single two-disc set with clips from all 45 seasons would be good, but it'd be a lot to cram, especially when a lot of old school characters weren't featured in 40 Years of Sunny Days.
YES to all of them. :smile:

mbmfrog

Reaction score
As much as I'd like an anniversary album, the majority of songs it would have would most likely be already downloadible from the other albums already available; like those "digital collection albums" they've been doing.

I want an album of completely new, unreleased material. I don't know why they haven't been doing that; songs like "What I Am" or "I Love My Hair" would sell like hotcakes. An Elmo the Musical digital album sounds like a complete no-brainer.
But, didn't they tried that stunt back in the 35th anniversary with Songs from the Street 3 disc collection ?