Your Thoughts: "The Rainbow Connection" from The Muppets (2011)

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
As much I loved it, I don't think a lot of other people liked it because it wasn't what they excpected it to be.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I think part of the reason others didn't like it because it was a meaningful song used a different context. The song serves a purpose in the first movie, to establish Kermit as a dreamer. But in the newest movie, they're just performing it because it's their most memorable song.

I don't mind that, I really like the newest version. The vocals are great, as is the music track and that big finish is fantastic.

Drtooth

Reaction score
TRUKK NOT MUNKY!!!!

Seriously though. People HATE iconic things being changed. The Rainbow Connection was a reference and it was used brilliantly. I don't hear anyone complaining about one of the characters mumbling Together Again. I personally love those purists that complain about how it's a reference to a better movie done sloppily. Yet, if they used another song, they'd find a way to pick that apart too.

Weirdo96

Reaction score
I actually loved how they played Rainbow Connection in The Muppets. Watching all the Muppets singing on stage almost brings a tear to my eye. It would have been nice if they added the second verse and didn't interrupt the last verse with Animal's drums/no drums dilemma, but that's what the soundtrack version is for.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The scene also becomes memorable in its own right, thanks to the shots of the Muppets holding hands as they go onstage and Animal's dilema.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I think part of the reason others didn't like it because it was a meaningful song used a different context.
Exactly. Slightly relating to this when I was studying Law of Attraction and Seth Speaks, I noticed a connection between the song and even The Muppet Movie. Someone from The Dark Crystal was interviewed on a website somewhere on Jim's connection with Seth Speaks and noticed on how The Dark Crystal and The Muppet Movie had a similar ending with a building crashing and light coming from the ceiling. Anyway I totally agree. The Muppets (2011) seemed more like a tribute movie to the classic three films and The Muppet Show. While The Muppet Movie was a symbolic story of how it all started. For example the lyrics in Rainbow Connection, I didn't realize for awhile that the song really has nothing to do with Rainbows. It's about following your goals and dreams even if the world that strongly believes in the 'life is hard, welcome to the real world, bad attitude' wants to stop you, don't let them. But yeah, in The Muppets (2011) it seemed just like a musical number. But I guess what the film was trying to represent was kind of like what Kermit said during the showdown in The Muppet Movie. "Well I have a dream too, but it's about singing and dancing and making people happy. It gets better the more people who share with it. And well...I found a whole bunch of friends who share the same dream and...it kind of makes us like a family." (I got to watch the movie again, it was such a beautiful scene :smile: ) In my opinion, I feel that The Muppet Movie was the strongest spiritual one of them all. I've read that the goal of the 2011 movie was to make it as strong classic like the first three, I didn't feel it was that strong. To me it was like a fan tribute film. Plus also The Great Muppet Caper was kind of like a parody / tribute of the genre of old movies in a way and The Muppets Take Manhattan sort of had a similar tone like The Muppet Movie set in a different time about characters that believe in a show and there are times where one needs to be alone for awhile to think by themselves. Speaking of The Muppets (2011), there has been a strong connection between it and It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie.