Popular Shows that You Hate

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
  • Family Guy
  • Any and all reality TV
  • TMZ: it must have some audience to still be on the air.
  • Powerpuff Girls: I'll admit I liked it as a kid, but when I got older, I came to think that the really, really stupid things about the show greatly outweighed the good.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm really surprised by the number of those who say they don't like FAMILY GUY either.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I have to admit to not keeping up with Family Guy, but I usually enjoy it when it's on. Maybe that's because it's a once-in-a-while thing.

NextJim1225

Reaction score
1. TMZ, abnoxious and degrading
2. The Cat in the Hat Knows alot about that
A show with that long a title is bound to be trouble. I just feel it's simply unmatchable.
3. Spongebob Let's face it. It was one of the first good ones to go...
4. Any reality show. Mm hm.
5. Any show on now that's been on over 10 years... Please, just stop...

Honestly, I don't think there's anything on. My favs come on when they come on, but at this point, I kinda don't care. Que Sera (hope that's how you spell that). I find it fun to research and reminisce, but I just don't find much on captivating (love Criminal Minds though).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm really surprised by the number of those who say they don't like FAMILY GUY either.
I still watch it, but it's a shell of its former self. I like when they have grand Stewie and Brian adventures, or something else big and bold. But I miss the precomeback seasons...even the first 2 or 3 seasons after the comeback. Especially when Peter wasn't a mean manchild. They did like one one off joke about him being childish, and then they just wouldn't stop after that. I liked Peter when he was semi-competant, and an 80's Dad version of Archie Bunker. Yeah, back when the show started, it had inspiration from All in the Family. That's quaint now.

2. The Cat in the Hat Knows alot about that
I really wanted to like that show. Honestly I did. I LOVE Martin Short, and he's the best Cat in the Hat there ever was, and he's absolutely wasted in this show. And the Flash animation is strictly hingey and stiff. Matched the lobotomized personality of the kids.

• Powerpuff Girls: I'll admit I liked it as a kid, but when I got older, I came to think that the really, really stupid things about the show greatly outweighed the good.
You watch the sixth season too? An episode teaching kids to put on Sunblock? Really?

Anyway, yeah... I forgot these things don't have to be current.

Leave it to Beaver: Remember that Family Guy sketch about how they shoved subliminal messages about smoking into Lassie? Everytuime I watch it, and this is just me, I see that same guy pop up every 4 seconds going "CONFORM! CONFORM! Are you conformed yet?!"

Dennis the Menace the live action sitcom: To be fair, I was spoiled by the DIC animated series. But really... how the heck boring is that show?! The Simpsons was right! They probably have a 2 part episode where Dennis ruins Mr. Wilson's hat. What's worse, I heard an announcement SHOUT was doing season sets of Dennis the Menace, I got so excited, only to see it was the terrible sitcom.

The Brady Bunch: Come on. No one really likes this show not ironically. or at least without being blinded by nostalgia. Even the movie did nothing but make fun of itself, and the Muppets TOTALLY kicked Brady Butt when the Bradies had a crappy made for TV movie on the same night (it was opposite VMX). It's a terrible show that's absolutely painful to watch. I mean, I'm no fan of sitcoms that center on precocious kids, so... like 6 of them? And then another one that no one liked? I think we can all agree Cousin Oliver's best work was in Kidd Video.

SuperWhy: The Dora module of education is bullcrap that is just waiting to be discredited. What makes this show worse than any other ones? It has a great concept that's totally butchered in execution. I'd love to see a show about a bunch of super heroes trying to fix literature. Too bad that instead we got a bunch of brainless bug children making overly P.C. (and yes, I hate using that word) watered down Fairy Tales even more diabeticly happy.

Rules of Engagement: I am SOOOOOOO glad this one was finally put out of its misery. I like Patrick Warburton. Too bad this show had NONE of what makes him hilarious in almost everything he does. I mean, I prefer his Buzz Lightyear to Tim Allen's. Why couldn't they have made him funny in this show. It drive me mad. Oh, and then they tried to make the show "funnier" by adding a deadpan snarker Indian guy, meaning you get to see him and David Spade do a watered down Kiff and Zapp Brannigan routine. of course, was this show popular enough to count? All I ever saw was a midseason replacement that just wouldn't die. And sadly, it was a better show than the failed sitcoms it replaced (except for the Shatner one... that was just getting good, too).

According to Jim: and every horrid piece of crap family sitcom that came out of ABC in the 2000 era (okay... I actually liked George Lopez). But ATJ was just homophobic and terrible. And the only time I liked Jim Belushi was the end of Trading Places where he was in the gorilla suit. His brother would never stoop so low as to do a crummy sitcom like that. But again, was this popular? I see it as a show that for the last 3 seasons, they had to dump all the episodes in marathon play over the summer. That's what failed sitcoms do. And for 3 years? Jim must've had one heck of a contract.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I still watch it, but it's a shell of its former self. I like when they have grand Stewie and Brian adventures, or something else big and bold. But I miss the precomeback seasons...even the first 2 or 3 seasons after the comeback. Especially when Peter wasn't a mean manchild. They did like one one off joke about him being childish, and then they just wouldn't stop after that. I liked Peter when he was semi-competant, and an 80's Dad version of Archie Bunker. Yeah, back when the show started, it had inspiration from All in the Family. That's quaint now.
I enjoyed seasons 4-6 (post-cancellation), but the 7th contained some of the worst episodes of the show (the aforementioned one with O.J. Simpson, the one where Peter turns gay via a vaccine, and especially the one where Meg becomes a born-again Christian).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like the one where Meg becomes a Born Again Christian, if only for the Star Trek TNG cast segment. The sequence where they're in the car ordering things from McDonalds that weren't on the menu was one of the most brilliant observational bits they've ever done on the show. I call it the half good half lame episode. They really should have just made it all Stewie and the TNG cast.

Personally, I hate the one about Rush Limbaugh as it comes off as a simpering apology to conservative viewers for always offending them. I mean, James Woods and Adam West embrace the show's weirdness and have some delightfully inspired moments of insanity. Rush's butt was kissed for a half hour, and the only thing he did was a weak Scooby-Doo parody. But the worst part? They undid one of the most brilliant gags in FG's history with that episode. The bit about Rush and Michael Moore just being characters created by Fred Savage.

But I still think it sucks less than the OJ Simpson episode.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Leave it to Beaver: Remember that Family Guy sketch about how they shoved subliminal messages about smoking into Lassie? Everytuime I watch it, and this is just me, I see that same guy pop up every 4 seconds going "CONFORM! CONFORM! Are you conformed yet?!"
Aww, I like LEAVE IT TO BEAVER. :smirk:

But, for me, as far as FAMILY GUY is concerned, as I've said before, there's really no story structure to the show, it's one of those adult cartoons where they put so much of their focus into what they can and can't get away with, and pushing the envelope farther than it physically can go that the actual story/plot itself suffers from being relegated to the back seat. It's like those badfics where the author's only motive for writing fics is purely for shock factor; I've read some badfics where each chapter was an even bigger kick to the balzak as the authors were clearly trying to top and outdo the mess they had written in the previous chapter. I won't lie, I've read some stuff that turned out so bad and so disturbing I felt like I needed therapy afterwards.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The problem is, earlier FG's have a plot and the cutscenes were handled much better. Often they were 2 or 3 seconds. They have been trying to fix the show with longer episodes with an actual plot. But they've got like a handful of good episodes in a sea of broadcast orders. Stuff that's clearly rushed out to meet a deadline (something that a lot of 80's cartoons dealt with). It's a show with roller coaster quality. Sometimes it can be really good (the one where Stewie and Brian are locked in a vault has some real complex character development), then they have ones where they toss a concept together with a bunch of archival gags slapped in there (I swear the cutscenes are all done beforehand now to make a library out of them).

As I've said before, American Dad is the superior show. It had an episode this season that was a parody of an obscure narmtastic play. And it was awesome!

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I like the one where Meg becomes a Born Again Christian, if only for the Star Trek TNG cast segment. The sequence where they're in the car ordering things from McDonalds that weren't on the menu was one of the most brilliant observational bits they've ever done on the show. I call it the half good half lame episode. They really should have just made it all Stewie and the TNG cast.

I agree. TNG is one of my favorite shows of the '80s-early '90s, and if "Not All Dogs Go To Heaven" (the name of that episode) had just been about the cast, that would have been great. But nope, they had to turn it into, what an astute commenter on TV Tropes called "an atheist Chick tract." I'm not an atheist (I'm more of a secular pantheist), and it's fine if the writers wanted to make an episode about treating atheists with equality (I'm all for that), but the way they did it was just...for lack of a better word, bad.