Bring back the Muppet Show!

LipsGF4Life

Reaction score
Yeah, me too. Kermit and Micky Mouse knew eachother.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know... if there's one place The Muppet Show should be rerun, it's The Hub. Seems to be the place for Ponies, Transformers, and reruns...They freakin' got Tiny Toons on there now.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
You know... if there's one place The Muppet Show should be rerun, it's The Hub. Seems to be the place for Ponies, Transformers, and reruns...They freakin' got Tiny Toons on there now.
Really, Tiny Toons? Awesome! :smile:

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I might actually watch Disney if they'd put the show back on
That would be great. Or even better, ABC since they do own them although I'm not sure if they still have The Wonderful World of Disney timeslot anymore or even show some of the Disney properties or if it's just it's own separate division. I could say the new Muppet show could air on ABC but then again I remember with Muppets Tonight. Especially when it was put on hold of about a year and I remember a newspaper article saying that it was sort of abandon on their shelf so the Disney Channel took it. I think I remember asking on here once how come both The Jim Henson Hour and Muppets Tonight didn't last long and I remember hearing that part of it was the ratings, times lots being switched a lot, and not enough international exposer since The Muppet Show was showned in 100 something different countries. Resulting to about 200 Million viewers a week. Perhaps the international situation is probably why the new Muppet movie beat the box office record on all the previous ones which really to this day surprises it beat the box office record on the first 3.
It's interesting. Plus also the reason why The Muppet Show was canceled was it was Jim's decision, he didn't want to quality to ware out and plus he wanted to spend time working on projects like The Dark Crystal and Fraggle Rock. It still just amazes me that less then ten years later (not including the various TV specials and Muppets Take Manhattan) when The Muppets returned for The Jim Henson Hour, it didn't do so well.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
And I just wanted to ask also was one of the major aspects of The Muppets popularity at the time was the Guest Stars? It might seem like an obvious observation but growing up with The Muppet Show and Muppets Tonight, I didn't know any of these celebrities at first. :smile: Though if The Muppets were to return to TV, I would wonder what kind of celebrities they would get on their show. Because Celebrities back then were talented in my opinion. Celebrities today is all about the looks and bad publicity stunts, nothing to do with talent. But then again, I'm old school with my entertainment. :smile: No reality TV shows for me. It probably explains why I don't have cable and would rather enjoy my DVD collection.

los

Reaction score
What if the the show was new and then featured a Classics Segement showing a skit or two from the original show. This way they can show the original content and ommit the songs which they have not the rights to.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
What if the the show was new and then featured a Classics Segement showing a skit or two from the original show. This way they can show the original content and ommit the songs which they have not the rights to.
Well it's sort of been done already back in 2001, a part of MuppetFest in California called "The Muppet Show Live". It was pretty cool, I went to see it. :smile: Lots of fun being able to see it live like that. But the problem too in my opinion if this were to be done as a new show is because it just seems things are different. Like I mentioned, it seems like the humor is more tame today and I don't know why it is. While looking back at the classic Muppets there was more slapstick, weirdness, craziness, energy, bad puns, etc. I sort of felt that Muppets Tonight and MuppetTelevision and the two 90s Muppet Movies was the closest to it. I know many would disagree but that's just my opinion.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but The Muppet Show first aired in England, so I'm sure it would be broadcasted there now.
It's interesting because I think reruns where shown outside the USA in the 2000s. Unless there was a way to get Odyssey, I knew my cable provider couldn't get it. Last time I seen The Muppet Show on actual television broadcast was in the 1990s on Nickelodeon. I see clips on the internet of The Muppet Show and it had the newish logo on there and I often wonder "when did this happen?", certainly not when I had Disney when Muppets Tonight Season 2 was on. Though it looks pretty recent. Is Disney Channel rerunning The Muppet Show in the US?