New movies coming out...

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hmmm. Don't know anything about that.

Has anyone here seen the League of Extradinary Gentlemen? Is it any good?

Lu775

Reaction score
Beauregard said:

The comics were better. But for some mindless adventure it was ok.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Lu775 said:
The comics were better. But for some mindless adventure it was ok.
Ok. I've read the first collection of comics, and have ordered the second.

How weird is the film? Liek ghosts, etc. There wasn't so much weird in Book 1 of the comics, except hints that the woman was bitten by a vampire.

Lu775

Reaction score
Now I saw it 2 years ago, and I don't remember a lot of details from it...but I also don't remember much weirdness in it. Just Sean Connery and Shane West in action adventurer mode and some cool special effects for when Dr.Jekyll becomes Mr. Hyde. (Although I think Mina is shown as a full fledged Vampire, not the subtle hints of the comic.)

Beauregard

Reaction score
Lu775 said:
Now I saw it 2 years ago, and I don't remember a lot of details from it...but I also don't remember much weirdness in it. Just Sean Connery and Shane West in action adventurer mode and some cool special effects for when Dr.Jekyll becomes Mr. Hyde. (Although I think Mina is shown as a full fledged Vampire, not the subtle hints of the comic.)
Ok. Thanks.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Beauregard said:

My friend Sean has it on video.I've watched it a few times.Was quite surprised,wasn't great,but it a good watchable flick.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
LXG has the single best intepretation of Jekyll and Hyde since Fredrick March performed the roles in the 1930s.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
LXG for me is a guilty pleasure. As an English major, I love the literary references. However, as an English major I also have my criticisms. My ability to watch a flick for the fun of it overrides those criticisms, though. I don't allow technicalities such as Mina Harker's vampireness or Dorian Grey's machismo to ruin the movie. It is a movie based on a comic book and I can dig that. What I can not dig is when movies claiming to be based on books absolutely butcher the story by adding their own twists and story lines. Roy Hobbs was a tragic character sucked in by wealth and power. Tom Joad bludgeoned a cop and was forced into hiding. Hollywood's quest to ruin great stories with their reliance on happy endings is tragic and infantile. If they want so badly to write a happy movie, they should do so without stealing core ideas from classic literary works.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I thought the movie was okay. Overall, though, I was disappointed--not because of the movie itself, but because of how cool it could have been if it had been truer to the spirit of the comics.

Beauregard

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
I thought the movie was okay. Overall, though, I was disappointed--not because of the movie itself, but because of how cool it could have been if it had been truer to the spirit of the comics.
How many comics were there? I was under the impression there are only very few? Is that right? It's just the way you refered to "the comics" it seemed like there may have been tons and I might have missed them.