If Noggin could do it in 2000....

Sesame Skates

Reaction score
Why can't we have a channel that would air Classic Sesame Street episodes now? I miss turning on the TV and finding the 70s classics right there. I go through iTunes and various search channels on the Internet, but I never find anything "new" (such as episode #720, in which Bert and Maria taken an imaginary helicopter ride). Instead I keep getting info that no one can upload full episodes because Lionsgate thinks they own them all, and the Copyright Cop$ are out in full force! Seems were fighting an uphill battle to keep our GenX childhood memories alive. In the meantime, Elmo and his ilk have taken over. Now what?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sesame Workshop has official videos that are unfortunately for sale only. Considering their budget woes, I just can't argue the fact they're trying to make some money back. It does suck that they can't offer anything free and need to be copyright police to make sure they get that money. I'll agree to that.

Sesame Street not airing classic episodes is mainly Sprout's fault. I do not get the whole "we need current preschool programming late night/early morning because of feedings." Chances are, that kid is far too young to care about television. Sprout would be a prefect opportunity to rerun older PBS programming. Not just old school Sesame Street, but Reading Rainbow, Square One... even Mr. Rogers. They chose to blow it for an audience of 1 year olds that can't sleep that doesn't exist. The blame lay on them, not SW.

And let's face it. Viacom did everything in their power to edge out SW's interest in Noggin after a year or so. Sesame Unpaved should have lasted longer, but Viacom wanted the network to only have their programming.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
And let's face it. Viacom did everything in their power to edge out SW's interest in Noggin after a year or so. Sesame Unpaved should have lasted longer, but Viacom wanted the network to only have their programming.

I'll have to check, but I thought that Street Gang said that Sesame Workshop sold their ownership so that they could afford to purchase the rights to the Sesame Street Muppets.

Sesame Skates

Reaction score
I'll have to check, but I thought that Street Gang said that Sesame Workshop sold their ownership so that they could afford to purchase the rights to the Sesame Street Muppets.
Sesame Workshop had to buy their own Muppets???

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Sesame Street not airing classic episodes is mainly Sprout's fault. I do not get the whole "we need current preschool programming late night/early morning because of feedings." Chances are, that kid is far too young to care about television. Sprout would be a prefect opportunity to rerun older PBS programming. Not just old school Sesame Street, but Reading Rainbow, Square One... even Mr. Rogers. They chose to blow it for an audience of 1 year olds that can't sleep that doesn't exist. The blame lay on them, not SW.
I second your statement here. I can't imagine why a toddler/preschooler would be up that late at night. Sprout would be a great channel to air old school Sesame Street (anything before Season 30), the other old school CTW/SW programs (The Electric Company, 3-2-1 Contact, Square One TV, and Ghostwriter), Reading Rainbow, Mister Roger's Neighborhood, The Puzzle Place, Zoom (both versions would do perfectly), and basically anything else that comes to mind. Another user once pointed out that Sprout needs a Remember When? Show block, which would be a good way to air all of these programs that we fans would like to see. A Remember When? Show block would be a superior replacement to that Good Night Show block, don't you agree?

Erine81981

Reaction score
I would agree but i don't have sprout and the only way to get it is either through Direct TV or others and we live out in the country and it's hard to get stuff out this way and i hear and see that Direct is to much money but it would be awsome to have a show block on Sprout i would be getting anyone who has that channel to be recording them for me.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sesame Workshop had to buy their own Muppets???
Jim himself owned the rights to the SST Muppets up till his death, and prior to that, his company owned them when that whole Disney deal fell through - during the time when EM.TV owned the Classic Muppet characters and they were about to go under, Sesame Workshop siezed the opportunity and bought the rights to the SST Muppets so they wouldn't have to worry about possibly losing them ever again. Remember, Michael Eisner basically tried to steal them right out from under CTW/JHC's noses right after Jim died.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I second your statement here. I can't imagine why a toddler/preschooler would be up that late at night. Sprout would be a great channel to air old school Sesame Street (anything before Season 30), the other old school CTW/SW programs (The Electric Company, 3-2-1 Contact, Square One TV, and Ghostwriter), Reading Rainbow, Mister Roger's Neighborhood, The Puzzle Place, Zoom (both versions would do perfectly), and basically anything else that comes to mind. Another user once pointed out that Sprout needs a Remember When? Show block, which would be a good way to air all of these programs that we fans would like to see. A Remember When? Show block would be a superior replacement to that Good Night Show block, don't you agree?
Retro programming blocks are pretty popular. Qubo has like 4 Filmation cartoons at Midnight, Nick had that 90's are all That block. I fail to see how a retro educational programming block wouldn't get more viewers than 24/7 current or just cancelled kid's shows on PBS. Even putting them on Demand or something.

I fail to see why anyone needs a 3 Am rerun of something they ran earlier in that day. The Midnight Feeding excuse doesn't hold water.