Fraggle fic: The Minstrel's Path

Slackbot

Reaction score
Every song has its coda, and every story must come to an end.​
The Minstrel's Path
Part 29
by Kim McFarland

It was a cool day at the beginning of spring. Winter had been harsh, as winter always was. The caves grew so cold that the rock below chilled you through the soles of your feet if you didn't wear thick socks and keep them dry. Water froze, so you either went thirsty or ate ice, which was hardly less dangerous. Most beings had the sense to stay home and keep warm among their fellows.

Not Cantus, however. Murray had tried to talk him out of traveling to Fraggle Rock for the Festival of the Bells. He'd led the celebration every year for decades, Murray had said; they had to have gotten the hang of it by now. Cantus had not argued the matter. He had simply gone. When Murray found he was missing, he had chased after him. It hadn't taken long for him to catch up. Cantus had been moving more slowly of late.

To be fair, Murray understood why Cantus had been so determined to be at the Fesival of the Bells. Cantus was very fond of this colony. They were the ones who had taken his lessons to heart, reaching out beyond themselves with music, and even without it. They loved him both for his music and his wisdom, and he had confided to Murray that of all the colonies he had visited, he felt most at home here. These Fraggles could find joy in anything, even at the most miserably cold time of the year. Even so, Murray wished he had been able to talk Cantus out of making this trip.

They had both had stayed in Fraggle Rock until spring. Cantus had not given them a reason he was staying much longer than usual, and the Fraggles, excited to have him around for an extended visit, had not asked. But even they must have realized that something was not right. Cantus was old, and the long journey through the frigid tunnels had sapped his strength.

Now it was time to move on. The Fraggles had bid him farewell with a raucous party. They left, Cantus playing his Magic Pipe and Murray strumming his guitar as they walked away.

A few minutes later, Cantus stopped playing and threaded the pipe into his backpack.

They walked quietly until early evening, when they reached a stopping point. It was not one of their usual campgrounds; they had not made it that far. Cantus took off his pack and sank to the ground with a soft sigh of relief.

Murray took off his pack, which now included Cantus' bedroll, the heaviest part of Cantus' gear. He hoped that lightening the load had helped a little. As he built a campfire Cantus sat still, leaning back against a mossy boulder, gazing at the stream that flowed through the center of the cave. Murray took some food out of his pack—bread baked by the Fraggles they had just left, and one of those radishes that Fraggles were so nuts about—and offered Cantus a portion. Cantus glanced at them and shook his head slightly. Murray shrugged and put them down within reach. "What're you thinking?" he asked.

Cantus spoke for the first time since they had left the rock. "I'm not thinking. I'm listening. Listening to the sound of the water. To the joyous splash as it first rushes down the waterfall, and the softer gurgles as it slows and flows in its channel, and its final silence as it disappears into the darkness."

Murray said softly, "Sounds to me like you're thinking."

"I wonder where the water goes."

They both knew the answer to that. Water circulated through the rock, flowing downward through channels and cracks, soaking through soil and stone, disappearing into the air to rise and condense elsewhere to begin the cycle anew. But Murray knew a philosophical question when he heard one, and had no answer.

Cantus smiled. "When did you get so much younger than me?" he asked softly.

Startled, Murray said, "Don't talk like that, boss."

"Pisca must live longer than Fraggles. That's good." He closed his eyes and said softly, "I'm tired."

"I'll set up your tent."

"I want to listen a while longer." He reached over to his pack, took out the Magic Pipe, and held it out to Murray. It trembled in the air, though Cantus' expression was calm.

Murray took the Pipe. He was raising it to play it when Cantus held up his hand. A zigzag glowed softly in his palm. "Touch your hand to mine."

Puzzled, Murray touched Cantus's hand. Cantus gripped it for a moment, pressing their palms together. Then he let go. The mark had disappeared. Murray glanced at his own hand. The zigzag shone back at him.

Murray looked at Cantus, shocked. Calmly Cantus told him, "The Magic Pipe is yours. Let it be your voice as it has been mine."

Murray's eyes widened. Cantus was making him the leader of the Minstrels! Yes, he was getting too old to journey, but making music without him was still unthinkable. He said, "I'll never be half the Minstrel you are, Cantus."

"Then be all the Minstrel you are."

Murray held the pipe out to him. "Cantus, this is yours. I don't want it."

Cantus made no move to take it. He said, "My time grows short. Do you really want to spend it arguing?"

"I'll go back to Fraggle Rock and get someone. We can bring you back-"

"So I can die there and make them grieve? No. I don't know if I would even be alive by the time you returned. I do not want my last minutes to be spent alone in the caves, or among sorrowing Fraggles. I want to listen to something beautiful. And," he said, looking up at Murray with a faint smile, "I want to go where the water goes."

Murray paused, not knowing what to say. Of course Cantus was old, but he could not imagine him leaving the world. But...he was calm, and ready for it. What good would getting upset do? It's not like Cantus had a choice in the matter. He took a deep breath to steady his nerves, then said, barely keeping his voice from cracking, "My brother."

"My brother," Cantus replied warmly.

Murray didn't know what he could say to that, so he said nothing. Better not to talk than to fill the air with needless words. He raised the pipe and began to play.

Cantus closed his eyes to listen. Murray listened too, to the sound of the water that connected all life in the caves. He drew it into the music, and, with the magic of the pipe, wove it into a rich tapestry of sound. As he played, the flowers in the cave budded and bloomed. Cantus opened his eyes and, smiling, whispered "Beautiful" so softly that even he could not hear it over the music. Then he closed his eyes again.

As he listened to the music of the Magic Pipe, Cantus slipped into a dreamlike state. It seemed that the music became words, words that he could finally hear and understand. Thank you.

"You're welcome. What did I do?"

We are the voices of the pipe. We created it and gave it to you. We followed along, lending our magic and living through the music you created with our help.

Ah. Now he recognized the voice. It was the same one he had heard in the cave where the Magic Pipe had grown. "So, there was something in the Magic Pipe. I wondered."

There still is. We go where the pipe goes.

"Who are you?"

We made music in life. We continue making music now.

"A haunted pipe. I never suspected." He chuckled. "Thank you. You made my life quite an adventure."

You did that yourself. You took the instrument we created and went further than we had imagined.

He nodded, or would have if he could. He didn't feel as if he had a body to move. "I only wish I could see what happens next," he said.

You can, if you wish to. Come with us.

"Haunt the pipe with you?"

If you wish to.

Cantus considered. He had had a long life, and enjoyed all of it, thanks to his friends and the music they made together. And he could continue to share in it and contribute in some way.

Putting it that way. There was no question. "I will."

Welcome!

Murray played until the music reached its conclusion. He felt a little breathless. He was good, he knew, but the magic of the pipe drew things out of him that he had only suspected were there. Had it always been like this for Cantus? No wonder he hadn't wanted to retire the Magic Pipe. Looking around, he saw that he and Cantus were now surrounded by cave blossoms of every color. And Cantus' head had drooped forward.

Murray knelt and put down the pipe, then held a hand in front of Cantus's face. He could feel nothing. He pulled out a strand of his featherlike hair and held it up in front of Cantus's nose and mouth. Even the faintest breath would have caused it to tremble. It was still.

He paused, momentarily unable to think. He had spent nearly all of his life with Cantus. He loved him. How could he be gone? But he was. Cantus had been happy and unafraid at the end. He had died the way he wanted: at peace, listening to music. What better way to go?

He was trying to talk himself out of being distraught. It wasn't working.

What did Fraggles do with their dead? The Minstrels had never done their act at a Fraggle funeral. But, he realized, Cantus had said he wanted to go where the water went. As with a lot of the things that Cantus said, at the time it was puzzling, but on retrospect it made perfect sense.

He knew what he had to do. He wasn't ready, but that didn't matter. He was about to put his arms around Cantus to lift him when he noticed the pockets in his robe. They contained other instruments; panpipes and mouth-harps and other things that he would play at whim. Although it seemed fitting to send him on with some sort of instrument, he would not have wanted their voices to be silenced. Murray took them out of their pockets and put them into Cantus' pack.

Carefully he put his arms around Cantus as if to embrace him, and lifted. The Fraggle weighed less than Murray expected, and was thinner; the robe and his thick winter fur had hidden that. He carried him down to the bank, then waded in and lowered Cantus into the water. The cool water soaked into his fur, darkening it and plastering his featherlike hair to his head. Murray walked, the Fraggle floating before him in the gently-flowing water, down to the mouth of the passage that the stream flowed into, and forced himself to let Cantus go.

He watched the body disappear into the darkness. Then he waded back to the campsite. He looked at the pack, and the Magic Pipe, and the blooming flowers.

He sat down, lowered his head onto his knees, and wept.

When the Minstrels met to start their journey that year, he gave them the news. They were as shocked and upset as he had been, even though they had all known that Cantus' age had been catching up with him. When they heard Murray play the pipe and saw the mark that glowed on his palm, they accepted him as their new leader without question. And without question the Minstrels set out on their journey. Cantus was longer leading them, but his mission—to unite all the tribes and colonies in the Rock with the universal language of music—was theirs, and they would carry on as long as they were needed.

Fraggle Rock and all characters are copyright © The Jim Henson Company and are used without permission but with much respect and affection. The overall story is copyright © Kim McFarland (negaduck9@aol.com). Permission is given by the author to copy it for personal use only.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Aw, and here I was hoping you'd go for an even 30 parts to the story.

Is beautiful... To give Cantus such a fitting send-off both in body and spirit.
I like the connections drawn to Jim, how Cantus was ready to go with death, calm about it even, and really what choice did he have? That's a nice sentiment to have.

And yes, I recognize the recycledness of this ending from your sketchbooks, but dang if it still works to show how much one Fraggle meant to everybody else whose lives he touched. Thanks.

BTW: Where in your list should this one go?

Slackbot

Reaction score
Oh, there will be a 30th part. Have you forgotten that I always post outtake reels after my serials? :wink:

This chapter is recycled, yes, but I did a fair bit of rewriting too, to make it fit the continuity of the series.

Heh, I'm glad that you saw the connection I was trying to make with Jim. That's why I had him quote (or at least paraphrase) the statement about leaving the world a better place than he found it. A pity Jim didn't have as much time as Cantus did.

As for where it should go on the list... I don't know. You've got it sorted according to chronology, and this series begins long before any of my other stories and ends long after. Well, OK, it ends at the same time as Coda. Off the top of my head I'd say put it at the end of the Fraggle fics, unless something more fittin' occurs to you.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Awww! A nice ending for Cantus, that he is able to continue with his pursuit of music and trying to bring people together even after he passes. And I think that the Minstrels will be just fine with Murray at the helm.

Thanks for sharing this excellent story with us!

Slackbot

Reaction score
Thanks! I feel a little bad about killing Cantus off, but, well, nothing lasts forever, and we know that people in the Fraggle universe do die. But Cantus lived a charmed life, and now it looks like he'll have a charmed afterlife as well. Or, since he'll be one of the ones working the charm, he'll be a charmer. Charming? Um...er.

Yeah, Murray'll be a good leader. He's not as crazy as Cantus, who was willing to walk right into a Gorg's kitchen, but he's smart, and now that he has to be the brains of the outfit he might surprise 'em.

Slackbot

Reaction score
And now for the parting shot...

The Minstrel's Path
Part 30: The Outtake Reel
by Kim McFarland

Chapter 1

['Jago' wanders about in a cave. The breezes blowing through the various tunnelets leading in make a chord. He is communing with the music. Then he begins investigating the tunnelets. He sticks his head into one, then yelps and jerks back when a bat flies into his face.]

Chapter 6

[Setting: the underground river. M'rray approaches 'Jago'.]

M'rray: Ildurb fistenant imb?

Subtitle: Handbag teakettle barbeque?

Chapter 10

[Setting: A Fraggle colony in a rabbit-like warren carved out of soil. 'Cantus' and Murray are ready to play for the Fraggles there. 'Cantus' plays a lively introduction on Murray's guitar, then begins singing.

'Cantus':
Please hear what I am singing now and hear my words, though strange and new
In the world outside your tunnels there are people strange but still like you.
We have traveled through the caverns, we have traversed many tunnels
Divided by wide rivers and connected by thin runnels-

[The words do not match his mouth movements.]

VO: Cut!

'Cantus': Aw, shoot!

Murray: Eh, it's a tough song. You'll get it. Eventually.

[Cantus, who was singing the lines from off-camera, steps into frame and speaks to his younger-looking double.]

Cantus: You're having trouble playing the guitar and remembering the words at the same time, aren't you, Tarin?

'Cantus': Yeah. Sorry, Dad.

Murray: I can play the guitar part…no, that wouldn't make any sense, because then I'd know what he was going to sing.

Cantus: [speaking to someone off-camera] Can you record the guitar music separately and add it in later?

Janken: [VO] Yeah, no problem.

Cantus:[to Tarin] There. Pretend to play the guitar, and concentrate on the words. And remember—
That particularly rapid, unintelligible patter
Isn't generally heard, and if it is it doesn't matter.

'Cantus': [smiling] Okay.

[Cantus goes back offstage. Janken steps into frame with a clapper]

Janken: The Minstrel's Path, scene ten point three, take twelve. [snaps the clapper]

Chapter 12

[Setting: the Doozer colony's music box room. Cantus opens up a box. Instead of the usual music box tune, it plays…]

Music Box:
Never gonna give you up,
Never gonna let you down,
Never gonna run around and desert you-

[Cantus, nonplussed, closes the box. Laughter is heard from off-camera.]

Chapter 14

[Murray and Cantus are looking at a mural carved into a cave wall. A spear flies in and hits Murray in the back of the knee.]

Murray: Ow! Medic!

Brool: [VO] Sorry!

[Cantus, Brool, and Murray are sitting around a campfire. Several fish are roasting on sticks. Cantus takes one of the fish and, after looking it over, begins eating it. Murray and Brool stare. Cantus notices this when the fish is half eaten.]

Cantus: [innocently] Can't a Fraggle try something new?

Murray: [suspiciously] Let me see that.

[Cantus hands the fish-on-a-stick over. On close inspection, he can see that it's a taiyaki, a fish-shaped pastry. He rolls his eyes and gives it back.]

Chapter 17

[Cantus kneels in front of a small green girl Fraggle who shares his shagginess.]

Cantus: We may be gone for a long time, Clio-

Clio: How long?

Cantus: Many, many days.

Clio: You always go for many, many days.

Cantus: This time it may be many, many… [pauses dramatically, then takes a script page out of his pocket and glances at it] many days.

[Clio giggles.]

Chapter 23

[Gobo rushes into the Great Hall. It is icy and silent. His friends are all frozen.]

Gobo: [dramatically] Boober! Mokey! Oh, oh, Red! I didn't mean to—oh, no! Wembley! Oh, poor Wembley!

[Behind him, Red begins to giggle. This sets off the other frozen Fraggles.]

Gobo: This is supposed to be drama, not comedy.

Red: Yeah, you try keeping a straight face when someone's chewing the scenery to pieces.

Chapter 25

[Wembley, excited, speaks into Gobo's face at point-blank range.]

Wembley: Gobo, did you hear that? You, of all the Fraggles in the Rock, get to honk The Honk of Honks! Wow! Wow! Wow!

Gobo: [long pause] Wembley, that was really creepy.

Chapter 28

[Cantus is standing on a small footstool, playing Doc's saxophone, which is almost twice as big as he is. Despite the size differential, and the challenge posed by his hands and lungs being much smaller than the manufacturer planned for, he soon has the thing wailing.]

Chapter 29

[Murray, barely controlling his sorrow at Cantus's death, empties pockets of musical instruments and sets them aside so that their voices will not be silenced. He looks at the glowing zigzag in his palm for a long moment. Then he picks up the Fraggle and carries him to the stream. As he steps in he slips, and both flop into the water. The supposedly-dead Cantus splutters.]

Murray: Sorry, the stone was slick.

[Both get out of the water. People rush in with towels and blow-dryers to dry wet fur. Janken, looking weepy, steps into frame.]

Janken: Please let them get it on the next take. This is killing me. [sniffles]

Fraggle Rock and all characters except Tarin and Clio are copyright © The Jim Henson Company and are used without permission but with much respect and affection. Tarin, Clio, and the overall story are copyright © Kim McFarland (negaduck9@aol.com). Permission is given by the author to copy it for personal use only.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
So. I was feeling tired and icky and bored and unhappy about a ridiculously sore throat, and I wandered onto MC and started flipping through the Fanfic/Fanart forum, and came across the "Slackbot draws stuff" thread. And I thought, "Ooh, I bet I've missed a bunch! Let's see..." And I very much enjoyed what I saw, and I noticed multiple links to this here story. And I thought, "Ooh, a Slackbot story I haven't read! This is what happens when I'm not around for ages."

And I proceeded to read this whole entire story.

And I still feel tired and icky and I'm not at all pleased about my throat still being ridiculously sore, but now I'm also all laughy and weepy from the story and the bloopers and... yeah. I had to sign in just to say that you are wonderful.

So: You are wonderful.

Of particular note: I loved how you handled the mysterious and invisible... the mysterious and invisible... I don't know, it was so mysterious, and invisible. I very much loved that. I also loved when Cantus met Doc, Sprocket, and big band music... particularly since you closed the scene with Cantus playing "In the Mood," which just so happens to be my ringtone. Now I can think of Cantus every time someone calls me! How cool is that?

Of especially particular note: I can't decide whether my favorite scene is Cantus' passing, which you handle so beautifully in this revision of Coda... or the part where they return to Cantus' childhood home and he reunites with the Tunesmith. That isn't something that is often broached in fiction. Having seen one grandmother through that stage of life, and now watching the other go through it as well... It was very, very touching. And for that, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Awww, thank you! I'm glad that, even though it couldn't do anything for your throat, you enjoyed this story that much. It was fun to write, but at the same time kinda nerve-wracking. I was always triple-checking to make sure I didn't mess up the continuity or get him out of character.

The scene in which Cantus re-meets The Tunesnith/Shonky was rather personal to me. In the last few years I lost both my grandmothers, and one was in deep dementia. It's very saddening to know that, though the one you knew and loved is physically alive, their mind has already slipped away. I don't know if Shonky's heading down that path, or if it's only his memory; he still seems to be alert (and able to tease Jago), even if there's a disconnect between the motherboard and the data banks.

The most personal part, however, was his statement that he'd given up playing music for good. My mother and father are musicians, and my father just retired after playing oboe (Cantus's instrument!), English horn, and oboe d'amore for the Atlanta Symphony. He'd been there since 1966, almost 50 years. When I spoke with him afterward and asked him if he was playing with a big band like he used to do for fun, he said no, he hadn't picked up an instrument since he retired and didn't miss it at all. That stunned me. I can't ever remember him without music. Every day I heard the sounds of flute and oboe as my parents practiced, and to just give it up like that...wow. I projected that reaction onto Cantus. He took it a little harder than I did, because I'm not a musician.

If mt father was still playing the oboe I'd ask him to play "In the Mood." If I doubled it somehow it'd sound like Cantus jamming.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Chapter 12

[Setting: the Doozer colony's music box room. Cantus opens up a box. Instead of the usual music box tune, it plays…]

Music Box:
Never gonna give you up,
Never gonna let you down,
Never gonna run around and desert you-

[Cantus, nonplussed, closes the box. Laughter is heard from off-camera.]

Oh my goodness! There is no planned background music that should be Fraggle Rockish. Oops!

Chapter 23

[Gobo rushes into the Great Hall. It is icy and silent. His friends are all frozen.]

Gobo: [dramatically] Boober! Mokey! Oh, oh, Red! I didn't mean to—oh, no! Wembley! Oh, poor Wembley!

[Behind him, Red begins to giggle. This sets off the other frozen Fraggles.]

Gobo: This is supposed to be drama, not comedy.

Red: Yeah, you try keeping a straight face when someone's chewing the scenery to pieces.

That is so Jerry's Gobo and so Red. I wish there was bloopers like these on DVD if there was any.

Chapter 25
[Wembley, excited, speaks into Gobo's face at point-blank range.]

Wembley: Gobo, did you hear that? You, of all the Fraggles in the Rock, get to honk The Honk of Honks! Wow! Wow! Wow!

Gobo: [long pause] Wembley, that was really creepy.
LOL! Gobo forgot what he was supposed to say. A Fraggle can forget sometimes.

[Cantus is standing on a small footstool, playing Doc's saxophone, which is almost twice as big as he is. Despite the size differential, and the challenge posed by his hands and lungs being much smaller than the manufacturer planned for, he soon has the thing wailing.
Lol! I have heard the term, "wailing saxophone" before, but i cannot stop laughing.

Fraggle Rock and all characters except Tarin and Clio are copyright © The Jim Henson Company and are used without permission but with much respect and affection. Tarin, Clio, and the overall story are copyright © Kim McFarland (negaduck9@aol.com). Permission is given by the author to copy it for personal use only.[/quote]

Your fanfic about Cantus the Minstrel finally put me in a good mood. I love the part where the Minstrels made a test by making out a map and the music would be hidden in a castle... *ahem* the Gorg's castle. How challenging can that be?

If Jocelyn would seen this, she felt that she probably done the same thing thing like you did by putting it in story or book form then transcribing it into script.

Thanks for sharing!

Slackbot

Reaction score
Some of the Fraggle Rock books were adaptations of the episodes, like Marooned and Wembley's Egg. I wonder if she wrote those? Hope so; having one of the show's main writers handle that would be a sure way to keep them faithful to the original show.

The challenge of the map leading to the Gorg's castle was not the difficulty of finding the treasure. If they'd read ahead in the directions they'd have seen where it was leading them. The question was whether they were adventurous and resourceful enough to brave the danger. That was what Cantus wanted to know.

Glad you liked the fic. I had a lot of fun writing it. Especially the blooper reel. The ones from chapters 23 and 25 are actually my reactions to those moments in the show. Wembley did sound creepy, and Gobo was hamming it up. :smile: