Audition Video Guideline

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I want to make a Puppet Audition video someday, but I am having trouble coming up for ideas for What I can do! can someone help?

Muppetlab

Reaction score
Is it more of a showreel? Or role specific?
If its going to be a showreel.. Keep it short, but long enough to demonstrate your skill. Just long enough to keep the viewer interested and wanting more rather than dragging on. About 5 minutes will be a good time.
Its good to demonstrate a wide range of characters with a wide range of voices and puppetry styles to. This shows your versatile and not a one trick pony :smile:

Oh and be original :smile:

Rymoore21

Reaction score
Introduce yourself as yourself.
Demonstrate entering and exiting the frame with a puppet.
Do 3-4 minimum character voices (ranging from high to low in pitch)
Finish off with a song.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
This is a short article that I wrote a few years ago - Demo Reel Do's & Don'ts for puppeteers

Generally, I would open the reel with your second strongest piece of material and end with your strongest. I wouldn't include songs unless you a can sing well, or unless you are specifically being asked to include a song.

Some puppeteers that have really well edited reels in my opinion:

Julianne Buescher -

Mark Bryan Wilson -

Artie Esposito -

James Murray -

WillyThePig

Reaction score
I wouldnt say there's much of a guideline to follow. it really depends on what you're auditioning for but most importantly you have to show off your versatility. you need to show how wide of an array of characters and voices you can use. The wider this array the better because it puts you in more categories...it might not hurt to show your puppeteering skills or some puppets you've made in the past.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
This is all very good information! Thank you!

CBPuppets

Reaction score
This is a short article that I wrote a few years ago - Demo Reel Do's & Don'ts for puppeteers

Generally, I would open the reel with your second strongest piece of material and end with your strongest. I wouldn't include songs unless you a can sing well, or unless you are specifically being asked to include a song.
I just have one last question, What do I do after I get done with the Reel do I convert it to a DVD and Mail it to the company I'm auditioning for or Do I E-mail it?

Rymoore21

Reaction score
you typically post it to youtube as unlisted then send them the link.