TV Alert: Frank Oz, Brian Jay Jones honor Jim Henson on The Today Show October 15

cahuenga

Reaction score
I loved it!! besides Frank and Brian are in the Henson workshop!!! I wonder how is the relationship between Oz and the Henson children nowadays...

Great Gommzo

Reaction score
It was ok but odd there was no mention of Jim's other projects, e.g. Storyteller, Labyrinth, Dark Crystal etc.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
It was ok but odd there was no mention of Jim's other projects, e.g. Storyteller, Labyrinth, Dark Crystal etc.
Which is sad because even though they were considered to do not so well in the box office or ratings they where some of Jim's more interesting works.

cjd874

Reaction score
And once again, Frank Oz, just like the rest of the Muppeteers, performs characters, not voices. For some reason, some people think that Muppets are cartoons. (Yes, there's Muppet Babies, but you know what I mean).

"Frank Oz, the voice behind..."

That's only accurate with the CGI version of Yoda. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but whenever fans or Muppeteers hear that, our reaction is universal:

Yes! Come on, Willie Geist, get it right. You spoke to the man himself. If you weren't convinced that Frank performs characters and not just the voices of Miss Piggy, Bert, Grover, Yoda, Cookie, and Fozzie, then I don't know what to do. (shakes head)

dwayne1115

Reaction score
That is why, and I feel like a broken record a true Muppet fan should interview Frank Oz. Just like in his interview on the Muppetcast!

ploobis

Reaction score
I noticed that they showed a quick B&W clip of the Glow Worm sketch with Kermit. I know that wasn't from the 1964 Jack Parr show appearance, it looked more earlier than 1964. I wonder where that clip was from? I love that Classic Glow Worm sketch! :smile:

Cookie Chris

Reaction score
Well, guys, it was worth the wait! I thoroughly enjoyed seeing some footage I never saw before such as Jim and Jane's appearance on The Today Show, the Inchworm sketch on The Jack Paar Show, and that skit with the early version of Kermit playing on the banjo that appears to have been from Sam and Friends. It was a nice summary of Jim's life, though I agree there should have been a mention of The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. I also liked how Frank Oz mentioned the term, "affectionate anarchy", again like he did when he was shown the "Muppet Pipes" back in 2010. It would also be nice if NBC showed the full interviews of Brian Jay Jones and Frank Oz.

I didn't get to see it. Was Sesame Street mentioned at all?
Yes, they mentioned Sesame Street.

I noticed that they showed a quick B&W clip of the Glow Worm sketch with Kermit. I know that wasn't from the 1964 Jack Parr show appearance, it looked more earlier than 1964. I wonder where that clip was from? I love that Classic Glow Worm sketch! :smile:
It was from The Jack Paar Program. The sketch was performed on December 18, 1964.

Source: http://www.henson.com/jimsredbook/2010/12/18/12181964/

ploobis

Reaction score
I like the fact that Frank mentioned that he and Jim were annoyed whenever anybody thought that the Muppets were cute! LOL!!!

MuppetGuy75

Reaction score
I just happened to catch it by surprise and I thought it was great! I do agree they should have talked about Jim's other projects besides Sesame, TMS, and Fraggle Rock but for the time allowed it was just right. It never seems to amaze me, no matter how many times I see it... Jim's funeral scenes always bring tears to my eyes. He was my childhood idol and I always wanted to meet him.