Casey Kasem Suffering from Parkinson's Disease

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Radio personality Casey Kasem, who is perhaps best known for his longtime role as the voice of Shaggy in the Scooby-Doo franchise has advanced Parkinson's Disease, and apparently only has a few months to live. To make matters worse, his wife is forbidding his children from visiting him. :sympathy:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, I heard about this a couple of weeks ago; apparently, his wife is virtually holding him prisoner in his own home, and forbidding not just his children, but pretty much his entire family from seeing him, which is really sad.

Shame, really.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
That's sad. Why in the world would his wife do that to him? It has to be torture for him on top of having the disease. I hope he'll feel comfortable enough until the time comes.

Hang in there, Casey!

Katzi428

Reaction score
Radio personality Casey Kasem, who is perhaps best known for his longtime role as the voice of Shaggy in the Scooby-Doo franchise has advanced Parkinson's Disease, and apparently only has a few months to live. To make matters worse, his wife is forbidding his children from visiting him. :sympathy:
Mo...when I saw you said Mr. Kasem was best known for doing the voice of Shaggy in Scooby Doo , I was ready to say "EXCUSE ME??" But then I realized you're younger than me. Besides I listened to America's Top 40 & was more popular with Mr. Kasem's work there.

Now as far as far as what his wife is doing, she's got some nerve! That's horrible! It makes me sick! :mad: That poor man!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Sounds you're typical second wife vs. children squabble. Got to be careful who ends up looking after you in your later years.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Mo...when I saw you said Mr. Kasem was best known for doing the voice of Shaggy in Scooby Doo , I was ready to say "EXCUSE ME??" But then I realized you're younger than me. Besides I listened to America's Top 40 & was more popular with Mr. Kasem's work there.

Scooby-Doo is an immensely popular cartoon franchise that has been going strong since 1969. While Shaggy hasn't always been played by Casey (a squabble over a Burger King commercial had Casey away from voicing the character, and the last time he regularly performed him was "What's New Scooby-Doo" and since has only played the character's relatives in "Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue" and "Mystery Inc"), Casey is best know for the voice. While Casey got his start in radio (a lot of VA's actually do) and the Top 40 was his famous DJ job, he will best be remembered for a cartoon character because of the character's popularity. Shaggy and Scooby were the only characters that have been in every series.

Of course, he's also know for being Robin in the 1968 Batman cartoon and Super Friends (wasn't replaced by Burt Ward when Adam West was recast as Batman in the last 2 seasons), and getting so ticked off at the writers of Transformers that he left the show when they did the "Carbombya" episode.

Yeah, I heard about this a couple of weeks ago; apparently, his wife is virtually holding him prisoner in his own home, and forbidding not just his children, but pretty much his entire family from seeing him, which is really sad.
Any discussion of what went on in the family's personal lives is just that... personal. But it honestly paints the wife in a terrible light for that reason.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Great guy- grew up listening to "America's Top Ten" every weekend, especially being excited when he announced back in the spring of 1973, a new record by the Carpenters called "Sing", adding, "And you kids who watch Sesame Street should know this one!"

He also did quite a few cartoon voiceovers in the early days of Sesame Street as well.
I hope he pulls through, without having to suffer too much.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Casey Kasem will always be known by some as a great voice over artist with characters as memorable as Shaggy on Scooby-Doo and Robin from the Super Friends and the old Batman cartoons, others would know him from his popular Top 40 countdown(Which repeats from the 70s and 80s are still on in certain places).
As for the family situation, it's kind of a shame, BUT we don't know what the arrangements were. He could have requested that nobody see him in the condition that he's in. Then again, it could be a thing between his 2nd wife and the kids. We don't know what's going on. I personally think that we should respect their privacy and hope that he "Keeps his feet on the ground and keeps reaching for the stars".......this probably has nothing to do with this situation but it WAS his signature sign-off so..........there you go.

Daniel

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, Casey Kasem will always be remembered as both the voice of America's Top 40 and Norville "Shaggy" Rogers. The funnily ironic thing is that segment from Looney Tunes Back in Action where Shaggy voiced by Casey is angrily upset in confronting Matthew Lillard over his portrayal as Shaggy in the two live SD movies... And Mr. Lillard has now become Shaggy's permanent VO artist starting with Abra-Cadabra-Doo, #14 in the DTV animated movie franchise.

Here's hoping you have some sunny days left at the malt shop Mr. Kasem. :sympathy:

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
I remember listening to him in the American top 40 when I was in high school, so as far as I'm concerned that's what he was best known for. Ah well. not really a big Scooby Doo or Luny Tunes fan. This is very sad to hear.
:sympathy: