No more classic episodes to be released in the near future

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If they need an archivist, I'd be willing to take the job for free, in exchange for being allowed to come to the vaults anytime to screen episodes to myself and being given free copies of a few full episodes and rare skits, and maybe to be allowed to provide input on Sesame Street video releases. Then again, I hear that living in New York is expensive, so I'd probably need to find another job as well, and in this economy it can be hard to get one (maybe I could try to become a professional actor and writer). Then again, if I could be an archivist and allowed to go to the vaults anytime to watch old episodes, I could use the vaults as my home. Free shelter!

Xerus

Reaction score
I was really hoping that they would show more classic episodes, so one day I can see my favorite rare cartoon again. A seal telling an S story about silly sailors.

Sesame Skates

Reaction score
Okay, all this makes me mad. There's no reason we shouldn't have more Sesame Street 70s eps!
I must now resort to downloads/torrents/stealing on the Internets to find them.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Wow...if Sesame Workshop really doesn't plan to release anymore classic episodes, that really will be a major pity. Like someone once mentioned, Shout! Factory would have been a better choice to produce SS DVDs, as they really seem to know how to deal with classic TV shows. Plus, they've had the great honor of releasing The Electric Company, and Ghostwriter on DVD (both of which were produced by SW), even though the former had 2 DVD sets (as well as 2 single disc DVDs), and the latter only had 1 DVD set. I mean, just who knows what Shout! Factory could have pulled off if they had the right to release SS DVDs?
Okay, all this makes me mad. There's no reason we shouldn't have more Sesame Street 70s eps!
If this is all true as the original poster claims, then all I have to say is it's a stupid move on Sesame Workshop's part. They know there's a huge market for the classic material. Normally I'd say that it's things like time and money being the reasons for the slow process, but I don't know...My hunch tells me that they're doing this to annoy the old school fans (I know that sounds crazy, but...you just never know :rolleyes: ). As I kept saying again and again, why can't they just do the same thing they're doing with the current episodes on DVD?

On a positive note, I did read somewhere that in Germany, there's a Sesamstrasse Classics DVD focusing on the 70s being released either this month or the next. I say this because the German co-production, in its first three seasons, was basically the American show trimmed down to 30 minutes.

Remember that station in Nigeria that found the missing Doctor Who episodes recently? I'll bet that some day the same thing is going to happen with all the 1969-81 episodes. It could be someone on Youtube (or an assortment of people on Youtube) or a station outside of the US like Australia, Japan, Hong Kong - anyone. It's very likely to happen.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd say either they're holding off until the next year (anniversary, remember) or they just don't have the staff to comb through the hours, days, and probably weeks worth of footage to pick out certain episodes and segments that aren't stored alone. That's why we haven't seen Crack Master. I'm sure there's also some celebrity rights residuals that are also a problem.

My only complaint is that they really should loosen the heck up with people uploading full episodes to Youtube, provided they weren't stolen from DVD's or iTunes. It's not the greatest of picnics to actually watch stuff on there. Everything pauses and has to buffer no matter what quality, no matter how good the internet connection, no matter how short the video.

Sesame Skates

Reaction score
My only complaint is that theyreally should loosen the heck up with people uploading full episodes to Youtube, provided they weren't stolen from DVD's or iTunes. It's not the greatest of picnics to actually watch stuff on there. Everything pauses and has to buffer no matter what quality, no matter how good the internet connection, no matter how short the video.
Amen to that!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seriously... you don't want to put in the effort to make money legally off of it, don't flip a crap when someone posts a dusty 25+ year old SLP VHS inferior copy of it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh yeah; on that subject, yeah, with SW dishing out actual copyright strikes for posting their content now, I can't take any chances, as I DID have a number of full episodes from Seasons 22, 23, 30, 32, 34, 35 and others posted... plus, I had gotten TONS of requests for various different classic EW episodes... then I started getting copyright strikes, so... yeah.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Oh yeah; on that subject, yeah, with SW dishing out actual copyright strikes for posting their content now, I can't take any chances, as I DID have a number of full episodes from Seasons 22, 23, 30, 32, 34, 35 and others posted... plus, I had gotten TONS of requests for various different classic EW episodes... then I started getting copyright strikes, so... yeah.

You had Season 32 episodes? I need some!