1980 Muppet Festival

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That was part of the special Here Comes the Puppets. I thought the Muppet stuff was spread among other puppet acts, but watching this it seems as if they were all shown back-to-back-to-back (though I've read that Jim Henson hosted the special.... are there hosting segments not online?). I know that some of the other puppet acts from that special are on YouTube as well.

One thing that struck me as odd was the Oscar and Bruno scene. There's some funny stuff there that doesn't get a laugh from the audience. Was the audience not laughing, or was there a problem which prevented audience laughter from being heard (audience laughter is heard in some of the other segments)? The audience doesn't laugh when Oscar acts like he ate Big Bird, or when he interrupts Bruno right after Bruno starts talking.... That stuff's not just funny to me, is it?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
That was part of the special Here Comes the Puppets. I thought the Muppet stuff was spread among other puppet acts, but watching this it seems as if they were all shown back-to-back-to-back (though I've read that Jim Henson hosted the special.... are there hosting segments not online?). I know that some of the other puppet acts from that special are on YouTube as well.

One thing that struck me as odd was the Oscar and Bruno scene. There's some funny stuff there that doesn't get a laugh from the audience. Was the audience not laughing, or was there a problem which prevented audience laughter from being heard (audience laughter is heard in some of the other segments)? The audience doesn't laugh when Oscar acts like he ate Big Bird, or when he interrupts Bruno right after Bruno starts talking.... That stuff's not just funny to me, is it?

I'm pretty sure this is the raw footage from the conference, which was later made into the special featuring only some of the Muppets stuff.

And the audience isn't so audible because the camera is only picking up the mics onstage.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is the raw footage from the conference, which was later made into the special featuring only some of the Muppets stuff.

Oh. I thought this was part of the special.

I wonder what Muppet stuff was not featured in the special. It would be great if the whole special would be online, either in multiple parts or as one whole video.

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
Is this video still working for people? When I try to play it a message comes up saying 'This video is private'. :frown:
If anyone has a copy of this raw footage I'd love to see it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
After watching this, I guess I now know that when Bruno talks while carrying Oscar's can, Oscar just hides his hand in the trash can to pull the wire. And it actually isn't that noticeable, except that Oscar stalls a bit in talking when telling Bruno to talk (and also quickly says "if I can find the controls"). I was recently watching the end of Follow That Bird, and hadn't noticed that his hand was down in the trashcan when Bruno spoke at the end (I've noticed Bruno already had his mouth open before he said his line, I guess Carrol Spinney already had Oscar pull the wire down before the line to make sure he was feeling it).