Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

Drtooth

Reaction score
And... do they really have "potions" to put on your thumb to get you to stop sucking on it?
I'm sure that they actually do. I've heard of such a thing, but they usually just use hot sauce. Which, eh... is kinda jerk move actually.

I honestly didn't know what to make of it. It seems that if you took just the right things out of context, you could do some dirty damage to the episode. I mean, Buster was just looking at a magazine. Not to mention the subliminal bananas in Buster's fantasy. It's an episode with oral fixation where Buster imagines bananas on billboards. How Freudian can you get?

Kidonia was kinda cute, actually. Weird pacing, though. The ending feels like it's unresolved as everyone runs off mad at each other and there's no closure there. But I did like the artificial money that was Brain's suggestion that wasn't good anywhere else except somewhere that didn't sell anything.

Mr Snrub

Reaction score
But I did like the artificial money that was Brain's suggestion that wasn't good anywhere else except somewhere that didn't sell anything.
"Would you like to buy some Itchy and Scratchy Money?"
"What's that?"
"It's money that's made just for the park. It works just like regular money, but it's....... fun."
"Well, if it's fun... ...I'll take $1100 worth. [Sees signs that advise that I&S money is not accepted] ...Aw"

SunnyDay

Reaction score
[quote="Drtooth, post: 1038757, member: 134"
  • Dramatically changing a character to promote a writer on board's pet agendas (Sue Ellen has to be a Vegan to promote a lifestyle other Vegans/vegetarians spare no time and expense shoving down everyone's throats)
[/quote]

I don't think it's about an agenda at all. Personally my kid has just as many vegetarian friends as meat eating ones at this point. Why shouldn't vegetarian kids have a relatable character?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I will say that, so far, Season 17 has been a slight improvement over Season 16... the animation still needs a little work, but storywise, this season has, so far, been a little bit better than I had originally anticipated.

But hey, get this: apparently, "Ladonna Compson: Party Animal" has been banned in various different cities in other countries, such as Moscow, Tokyo, Rome, and others... you know why? Because of the scene where Bud messes up Ladonna's apple pie. Seriously.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think it's about an agenda at all. Personally my kid has just as many vegetarian friends as meat eating ones at this point. Why shouldn't vegetarian kids have a relatable character?

I wrote this well before I saw the episode and was delighted to see that the episode was even handed, and even had Sue Ellen say (in not so many words) that it isn't for everyone. I do indeed respect those who eat differently because of their beliefs, provided they don't go all "if you eat meat, you're a terrible person." To see the episode escalate into such delightful passive aggressiveness by Muffy and Francine made the episode that much more enjoyable.

But hey, get this: apparently, "Ladonna Compson: Party Animal" has been banned in various different cities in other countries, such as Moscow, Tokyo, Rome, and others... you know why? Because of the scene where Bud messes up Ladonna's apple pie. Seriously.
Okay... that's freaking ridiculous. The only thing I know of Japan censoring is Transformers Prime because... well.. that show is extremely violent and for some reason, Transformers is a little kids franchise because the robots are sentient beings and not piloted or some nonsense like that. And to fit in some odd filler with some Japanese pop group. But really?! Bud shoves a dinosaur plush in a pie off screen?!? Well, the Japanese PTA have lost its minds. To think, this was the same country that got away with bare female tops in kid's shows. Russia (especially with Putin) makes a lot of sense, though. Guy's a extreme prude.

Anyway, I just discovered what one of the new episodes is going to be about...

An ice cream store opens up near Brain's parent's shop and threatens to take away the customers. There's a Martha Speaks similar to that, first of all... but this makes me wonder something I've been wondering for years.

What about the Sugar Bowl? I mean, it's more of a lunch counter that serves ice cream (closet thing I could say is a Brighams- that's a local thing that's barely on life support), but wasn't that always direct competition with the Powers family ice cream shop? I always felt there was some conflict of interest in "Sue Ellen Chickens Out." I mean, why would Brain care that the Sugar Bowl was going out of business? Wouldn't that be a good thing for him? It's not like they don't hang out at his place as well. Seems they actually show the ice cream place more than the Sugar Bowl recently.