The Leslie Mostly Show with Guy Smiley

jonnytbird

Reaction score
I just found out from Muppetdude that there's a picture from the Cookie Monster segment from Sesamstrassen's fan club site.

http://www.jaydio-presse.de/Websites/SS/Episoden/80er-113.php

The picture's a little small but atleast that gives me an idea on what it was. And it doesn't make any sense that on the SS video website, it has the name listed under characters and yet no videos. Oh well, let's hope the workshop keeps that in mind next time they decide to upload new videos on their website. And BTW, someone said that you can catch it on a Verizon Wireless phone, right? Is there still a possibility to see it cause I don't have Verizon?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I hope that the video site includes some segments soon, especially since it seems like she interviewed many major characters. And I hope that at least one gets included on the upcoming anniversary DVD set, but it probably won't. I wonder how many years they were repeated on the show for. Odd that her segments are so rare to collectors.

It's interesting that she interviewed characters via a satelite image. Sinc eshe was performed by Michael Earl, who didn't have many other characters, they could have easily had her appear with just about any character, without the need of a monitor.

The ones I am most interested in seeing are the ones with Kermit and Grover. of course it seems like the ones with Guy Smiley and Cookie Monster are the only ones proven to exist (without relying on fan memories). But I do believe in the existience of the other ones.

Dantecat

Reaction score
Well,Like MuppetDude said:There's just one on youtube in spanish including the one with mumford.I'm sure we'll see the rest eventually.:wink::super:

Dantecat

Reaction score
Here's another one also in spanish.It's the one where she interviews :insatiable:

That's 3 so far,Now we got 3 more to go.:smile:

Dantecat

Reaction score
Oh,Here's the one where she interviews Mumford!

Someday Eventually we'll see all 6 in english.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, considering the one with Guy Smiley was available on Verizon phones in the past, was that sketch released in english or another language (I think I've read the service included non-English segments)?

Dantecat

Reaction score
Well,We finally have the english one on youtube where she interviews Mumford and we sure will see the other 5 in english 1 of these years eventually.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I am boundlessly grateful this has surfaced, I have to admit, I see why this was discontinued.

Leslie is boring. And as such, the skit isn't as funny or engaging as it should be. She's certainly no Kermit. It's not the performer's fault, it's the writing and character. And while I do indeed want to see the others pop up and will enjoy them, I can see why SW (or rather CTW at the time) just stopped making and showing them. It's an alright concept, but it feels like something is missing. Maybe because Leslie isn't there with the characters she interviews.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
With segments like this, I wonder if the video image was pre-recorded or if it was being done live on the set (like the Leslie Mostly set is in one part of the studio, the guests' home in another part, and both parts were being recorded at the exact same time). I didn't think that was how things like this could be done... I remember years ago people told me that the "Two-Headed Monster Co-Operation" segment had both the street scenes and Two-Headed Monster segments done at the same time, and I didn't think that could be possible, but then I saw behind-the-scenes footage that showed an away-from-the-street set by the street set, so I guess it was possible.

It's been stated that Leslie Mostly's delivery and personality could be due to the fact that the interviews were done by satellite. Somebody here said that her interview with Grover had Leslie Mostly in person with Grover. I wonder if she had better delivery in that segment. It would also be interesting to see if she ever appeared in any street scenes (seems like a lot of unlikely "skit characters" made appearances in street stories at some point). Seems Leslie has just a little less personality than Warren Wolf.

I wonder if Jim Henson had any influence on these kinds of skits (well Muppet Wiki does say that in season ten Henson and Michael Frith were told to create new characters for the show, and Michael Earl joined around this time, so it could be possible). Considering Jim Henson's love for new technology, I wouldn't be surprised if he liked the idea of having a character interview another via satellite.

It's interesting that of the six we know of (including otherwise-unproven fan memories), Jim, Frank, and Jerry had two characters each for the interviews. I wonder if they were all done at once, or if each performer did all of the ones with their respective characters. Cookie Monster and Mumford both had the same living room, which was also used as Kermit's living room so the set was probably used in the Kermit segment as well (unless he already had the green walls by then).