Christmas Mayhem

mayhemist

Reaction score
Note: This story was originally posted on Mibba.com. It recieved absolutely no attention. I decided to post it on here and share it with fellow Muppet fans. I hope you guys like it!

Summary: Alex and Janice are sisters who love to play guitar. Alex taught her younger sister Janice, who went on to play lead guitar for The Electric Mayhem. Alex was close friends with the guys. Dr. Teeth invited her to play with the band many times, but she always politely declined. She wanted to find fame on her own. Five years later, she was still scrounging for a gig. On Christmas Eve, she shows up to the renovated warehouse that The Electric Mayhem were living in. Happier than ever to see Alex, Dr. Teeth reminds her that it’s not too late to join the band. After seeing her sister again, getting a very excited welcome by her best friend, Animal, and falling all over again for the blue-haired saxophonist, she has second thoughts about joining the band.

Chapter 1: Merry Christmas, Baby

I stood outside on the frozen sidewalk clutching my duffel bag and my guitar case. I had only been off the bus for a few minutes and my nose and cheeks were already numb. The snow whipped around me like it had some place to be. With all the white and darkness of the street, I was amazed that the porch light was even visible!
I was too nervous to just walk up to the door and knock. It had been so long since I’ve seen these guys, especially my sister. I felt rotten for not contacting any of them in the passed five years. I had declined Dr. Teeth’s more than generous offer, pretended like none of them existed, and now I was suddenly on their doorstep on Christmas Eve with not so much as a phone call? This was wrong.
I trudged through the snow walked up the steps. Inside, I could hear some Charles Mingus being blasted from upstairs. I smiled to myself.

“Zoot,” I whispered.

I hesitated before knocking on the door. I could just imagine one of them peering out the windows of through the peephole, calling the others to look at me, and laughing before turning away. I was such a bad friend.
I jumped when the door opened to reveal none other than Dr. Teeth himself.

“Alex?” he asked in bewilderment.

“Hey, Tooth,” I said shyly.

He was silent only for a moment before his signature toothy grin appeared on his face.

“Girl, get in here!” he said, taking my arm and pulling me into the warehouse they called home.

I let my crap drop to the floor and smiled up at Dr. Teeth.

“How the heck are ya?” he bellowed, pulling me into a big bear hug.

“I’m great,” I croaked as Dr. Teeth squeezed the air out of me.

“It’s so great to see you!” he said excitedly as he dropped me, “Hey, Janice! Come in here!”

My heart started to pound in my chest. I was scared of Janice’s reaction. Would I get the same reaction as I had from Dr. Teeth, or would she shun me out as soon as she saw me?
Janice’s head popped out from around the corner of what I assumed was the kitchen. The smell of hot chocolate and cookies filled my nose.

“Alex!” Janice squealed.

She jumped over the cat and ran over to me, hugging me almost as tightly as Dr. Teeth had.

“Oh my gosh, like, it’s been so long!” she said, taking my hands in hers.

“I know. I’m so sorry I didn’t call or anything,” I said, looking from her to Dr. Teeth, “I know this is really unexpected-”

“Oh, don’t worry about it! As long as you’re here,” she said, dragging me over to the couch.

“You’re ice cold! Oh, and wet! You could use some hot chocolate, for sure,” she fretted, and disappeared into the kitchen before I could say no.

Dr. Teeth plopped down beside me and let his arm drape around my shoulders.

“So, what brings you out here?” he asked, “I figured you would’ve hit it big time by now.”

I smiled.

“Yeah, well it’s not working out too well,” I said.

Janice quickly returned with three mugs of hot chocolate and a plate of cookies.

“Alright! Janice makes the best hot chocolate around,” Dr. Teeth said to me.

I grinned and took my mug. Janice gently sat down beside me, sandwiching me between her and Dr. Teeth.

“It’s like, so nice to see you again, sis,” Janice said.

“Yeah, we’ve missed you a lot,” Dr. Teeth added.

“After I was total jerk?” I asked the doc.

Dr. Teeth bellowed with laughter, his gold tooth shining in the light of the giant Christmas tree.

“Girl, you crack me up! Where did you get the idea that you were a jerk?” he asked.

I shrugged, looking down into the brown, frothy liquid.

“I just up and left you guys without a word for years,” I said.

“Alex, we know you were busy. You don’t have to worry about it. All that matters is that we missed you and you’re here with us on this beautiful night,” Janice said, patting my arm.

That made me smile.

“Yeah, Animal kept asking when you were gonna come back,” Dr. Teeth said, setting his mug down on the coffee table.

“Where is he, by the way?” I asked, looking around for any signs of the wild drummer.

“Floyd took him out for a walk,” Teeth said.

“They should’ve been back by now, for sure,” Janice said, looking at the clock on the mantle above the fireplace, “It’s getting really cold out there. Oh, I hope he didn’t get lost!”

Suddenly, we heard a door slam and the arguing of two male voices.

“Looks like you don’t have much more to worry about, Janice. Sounds like they’re back,” Dr. Teeth said, getting up.

When the doc was out of the room, I decided to have some much needed girl talk with my sister.

“So, how are you and Floyd doing? When I left you two seemed to be over with,” I enquired.

Janice’s cheeks turned pink and she neatly folded her hands on her lap.

“We’re fantastic!” she said, laying back into the couch.

“Really?” I asked, astonished.

“For sure,” she said with a smile.

I reached over and hugged my sister.

“That’s great. I’m so happy for you both,” I said.

“Thanks, sis. You know, there’s like, someone else who has really been missing you, too,” Janice said as we pulled away.

She looked up to the source of the beautiful rendition of Silent Night on the sax. Up in the loft was Zoot’s area, and from the somber looks of it, it seemed that absolutely no one was allowed in his space unless otherwise invited.

“Oh, shut up!” I said, playfully hitting Janice.

Janice and I giggled like little girls. Around Janice was the only time I acted like this. I was like one of the guys around anyone else.

“It’s true. You’re his Christmas wish every year,” Janice said as we looked up at the loft.

I gave Janice a glare.

“Don't be so silly, Janice,” I snapped.

“Alex, he loves you for sure. He’ll be psyched to see you again!” she gushed.

I just rolled my eyes. I had had a crush on the guy since I first saw him. We started liking each other when I began coming to The Electric Mayhem’s shows, but when the opportunity came up for me to get my dream solo career underway, I had to leave Zoot. It broke my heart when I saw that he was the last one watching me leave in my rearview mirror.
I looked up to the loft as the music faded. I’d never forgive myself for leaving him.

“Yo, Alex, man!”

I turned around to see Floyd come in with a chain in his hands.

“Floyd!” I exclaimed.

I jumped up from my seat to hug my old friend.

“What brings you here, man? The storm blow ya in?” he asked, chuckling.

“Yeah, that’s it,” I said sarcastically.

“Is it like, getting bad out there?” Janice asked worriedly.

“Oh yeah,” Floyd replied, pulling the hair band out of his wet hair.

I saw Janice smile at this. She absolutely adored it when Floyd took his feathery red hair down. I backed away to let the lovers embrace. I was jealous of what they had, but I was still happy for them.

“Incoming!” we heard Dr. Teeth call from the kitchen.

We turned to the kitchen to see Animal barrel through and step on the cat’s tail.

“LEXY! LEXY! LEXY!” Animal shouted, tackling me.

“Animal!” I cried out.

Animal tackled me to the ground and planted kisses all over my face as if he were a dog licking me.

“Okay, okay, okay!” I giggled.

“Ra, ra, oh! Sorry,” he said, looking apologetic.

Animal stood up and extended his hand. I took it and stood up.

“Merry Christmas, Alex,” Animal said with his mouth hanging open.

I smiled and hugged the drummer.

“Merry Christmas, best friend,” I said.

I felt Animal nuzzle into my neck, breathing heavily.

“Oh, you’re wet, Animal,” I said, gently pushing him back.

Animal reached his hand up and felt his hair.

“Mmm,” he nodded, “Snow.”

I giggled as Floyd hooked Animal to his leash.

“C’mon, buddy. Let’s dry you off,” he said.

Animal obediently went with Floyd to the kitchen.

“Well, well, I thought I heard Lexy’s voice,” said a raw voice from the other side of the room.

I spun around and stared wide-eyed at Zoot as he descended down the stairs. The five years had been good to him. His blue hair was long and silky, and he looked healthy. His eyes were piercing. I felt my heart began to pick up the pace.

“Hey, Zoot,” I said, much quieter than I wanted.

Zoot smiled, which was rare for him.

“Hey, Lexy,” he said.

He and Animal were the only ones who called me Lexy. Partly because Animal had a tough time pronouncing my name and also because we shared a special bond. No one quite understood it. Heck, I even had a hard time comprehending what it was!
Zoot walked up to me and gave me a peck on the forehead and a warm hug. The smell that was all Zoot filled my nostrils. I didn’t plan it, but I clutched onto Zoot for dear life. Gah! How I missed him! I had waited five years to hug him again, and spent those years worrying if he’d ever forgive me. This hug was all I needed as an answer.

“Missed me, huh?” Zoot asked, obviously noticing that I wasn’t ready to let go anytime soon.

“You have no idea,” I said, my mouth and nose buried in his shirt.

Zoot ruffled my hair and pulled away. I was almost on the point of tears. I didn’t think I’d ever see him again, yet here he was.

“I’ve missed you, too,” he said.

He cupped my cheek, tilting my head up he could look me in the eye. I hadn’t realized I was staring at the wooden floor like it was interesting. I stared up into his bright eyes. He usually looked gorgeous with his shades, but he was even more gorgeous without them.
I felt a tear slip from my eye and Zoot brushed it away.

“I’m sorry. It’s just…well, it’s been so long,” I whispered.

“I know, I know,” Zoot cooed.
I sniffed as he caught another tear. No one else ever saw me cry. I mean, Janice had before, but not in at least ten years.

“C’mon,” he said, gently taking my hand, “let’s go upstairs.”

“You’re going to let me into your cave up there?” I asked, looking up at the loft.

Zoot smirked and lead me up the stairs. The loft was basically Zoot’s bedroom. There was a large bed, a wide window with candles on the sill, Christmas lights strung above the window and the bed, several saxes on stands, a record player, and sheet music laying on his desk. The walls were white and the floor was wood like downstairs. There was no barrier, so if one were to fall out of the loft, they’d fall a good three stories.
Zoot and I spent a few hours catching up on old times and listened to Christmas music on the radio.

“What made you decide on Christmas Eve to show up here?” Zoot asked curiously as we sat on the Moroccan rug by the bed eating Christmas candy.

“I just missed you guys,” I shrugged.

Zoot passed me a few Hershey's Kisses.

“This is good stuff, Zoot,” I said, looking at the wrappers strewn out all over the rug.

Zoot laughed.

“Floyd was saving all this for New Years, but I think this is more special,” he said.

I smiled and watched him curiously.

“KISSING!” we heard Animal yell from downstairs.

Zoot and I looked to the end of the floor, then back at each other. I raised an eyebrow at him. He put his index finger to his lips and waved for me to follow him. We crawled across the floor. Laying on our stomachs, we watched below to see Animal jumping up and down and pointing to the couple on the couch. Then, Dr. Teeth came in and took Animal by the front of his yellow tshirt.

“You nosy sucker. Let’s go!” Teeth ordered in his gravely voice.

“KISSY, KISSY!” Animal yelled as he was dragged through the living room and into the hall.

“Shut up, man!” Floyd said, chuckling.
Shortly after Dr. Teeth and Animal disappeared, Animal popped out from around the corner and began making kissing noises at Janice and Floyd.

“I’m going to get you!” we heard Dr. Teeth scream from the hallway.

“For sure!” Janice said, laughing.

“Let’s go to bed before Santa gets here,” Teeth said, snatching Animal up by the collar.

“SANTA!” Animal shouted, dragging Dr. Teeth back down the hall.

Zoot and I giggled. Animal could be such a clown. My focus went back to Floyd and Janice, who returned to the adorable gazing, cuddling, and kissing in front of the fire. My heart sank as I sat up.
Zoot was picking up wrappers as he peered over the side at the birds-eye view.

“Groovy,” Zoot said sarcastically.

I gave him a quick smile, and he noticed my sadness.

“You know, there’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you for a long time,” Zoot began.

I looked up at Zoot with interest. He was looking down at his bare feet, deep in thought.

“What is it?” I asked.

Zoot was silent for a few more minutes before he stood up and waved it off.

“Oh, come on, Zoot. You know you can tell me anything,” I said.

Zoot sat down on the edge of his bed and laced his fingers together. I got up and sat beside the troubled boy.

“What is it?” I asked again, putting my hand on his shoulder, “Is it bad?”

Zoot stuck his bottom lip out and shook his head.

“Then what?” I asked, becoming impatient.

Zoot turned to me suddenly, looking me right in the eyes.

“I love you,” he said suddenly.

I jumped. Had he really said that?

“I have since I first met you,” he continued.

I stared at him blankly.

“Zoot?” I asked.

“Yeah?” he asked.

I studied his face, checking to see if he had gone nuts. He was truly sincere, though.

“I love you, too,” I whispered, giving him a shy smile.

Zoot smiled and moved closer to me. He took my face in his hands and pressed his warm lips to mine. I was in absolute heaven as he kissed me. This was what I had been dreaming of for 6 years!

“Merry Christmas, baby.”

mayhemist

Reaction score
Chapter 2: Zoot's Main Squeeze

I awoke Christmas morning to the smell of pancakes and coffee drifting into the loft from the kitchen downstairs. I glanced over at the clock on Zoot’s desk which read 9:20 a.m. I proceeded to groan, stretch, and roll over to see Zoot’s sleeping form snuggled within the white sheets. His blue hair was all in his face and gently blew in the breeze as he breathed. I smiled at the sight.
After Zoot and I had shared that fantastic kiss last night, we laid in his bed for ages before he suggested that I should sleep in the loft instead of the preoccupied couch downstairs. I was more than happy to stay with Zoot and we passed out together snuggled under the covers. I had fulfilled Zoot’s Christmas wish, which was secretly mine, too. Now I just hoped Dr. Teeth could find me a spot working with the band. I couldn’t bare to up and leave Zoot, my sister, and my best friends behind again. Heck, I couldn’t afford it!
Zoot stirred a little, looking adorable as he slept.

“Look alive, sunshine,” I said softly, moving his wavy locks out of his face so he wouldn’t inhale it.

Zoot’s bright eyes became visible, accompanied by a sweet, tired smile.

“Hey, babe,” Zoot said groggily.

Zoot propped himself up an elbow, causing the sheets to fall and reveal his bare chest. His beautifully pale skin was almost camouflaged against the pristine white of the bed clothes and the walls of the Electric Mayhem warehouse, making his electric blue hair and eyes pop. He reached a large hand out to cup my cheek and planted a soft kiss on my lips. I felt butterflies arise and buzz through my stomach and warmth spread through my chest. His parents did an excellent job on creating such a beautiful—and not to mention talented—boy.

“Well, Merry Christmas to you, too,” I said.

Zoot smiled and let out soft chuckle.

“ALEX! ZOOT! Breakfast is ready!” we heard the doctor yell from downstairs.

“FOOD!” we heard Animal shout from the bedroom hallways.

Zoot and I laughed.

“Yeah, I’m not a big breakfast guy,” Zoot admitted.

That must’ve been the reason he was so lean.

“Meh. I’m not that hungry,” I said, shrugging.

A look of concern spread across his facial features.

“I don’t mind, Lexy. Go on. I’ll be down later,” he said, laying back down.

I watched Zoot for a moment, remembering how much I had missed him. During my time here, however long or short it would end up being, I wasn’t going to miss a second of my alone time with him for anything…even food.
I scooted closer to him and snuggled into his chest.

“I’d rather stay up here with you,” I said.

Zoot just smiled and wrapped his slender arms around my waist, pulling me impossibly closer to him. He ran his graceful fingers through my hair and kissed my neck tenderly. I was loving this immensely! I had dreamt of this for so many years. The only reason I knew this wasn’t a dream was the fact that I could feel it. I could feel Zoot’s love through his touch and his gaze. This was real and I was very much awake.
Zoot laced his fingers with mine and we laid in his bed for twenty minutes longer before we heard the sound of dishes being washed.

“I think that’s our cue to get up,” Zoot said, pushing his bed-head hair out of his eyes.

I rolled over onto my stomach to look at the gorgeous saxophonist.

“You go on. I’ll be down in a minute. I’m sure Janice is already chomping at the bits to see you,” Zoot said.

I nodded. He was completely right. I leaned over and kissed his forehead before climbing out of the bed and slipping on a pair of socks I had brought up with my pajamas last night.
Once downstairs, I found Floyd on the couch sitting cross-legged, watching Animal sit in front of the Christmas tree shaking presents. I smiled at the sight.

“Hey there, sleepy-head. Come sit a spell with Floyd. I wanna talk to you,” Floyd said, patting a spot beside him on the white couch.

I obeyed the bassist and sat down beside him.

“What were you doin’ all night, little girl?” he asked, raising a white eyebrow at me.

I smirked at Floyd.

“I could be asking you the same question, sir,” I retorted smugly.

Floyd’s cheeks tinged pink and he went stiff, his eyes widening.

“You saw that, huh?” he asked, clearly embarrassed.

I nodded, grinning in satisfaction.

“Well, I’m guessing you had a blast spying on me and enjoyin’ my candy stash?” Floyd asked, returning to his smart-mouth attitude that he and Zoot shared.

I looked over at Animal as he was growling at the cat passing him by.

“I enjoyed more than Christmas candy, Floyd,” I said, cracking an amused smile at him.

Floyd stared at me with wide eyes behind his shades and his jaw dropped.

“Zoot finally got his Christmas wish,” I said.

Floyd burst out laughing, catching Animal’s attention.

I took one of the pillows and playfully beat Floyd with it. He laughed as he blocked me with his lanky arms. Over in front of the tree, I heard Animal making sounds that sounded like hushed laughing.

“Shut up!” Floyd said, tossing the pillow at Animal.

Animal snatched the pillow up and bit it.

I smiled at the bassist. I had definitely missed his raspy voice, charming character, and his smart mouth.

“You and Zoot, huh?” Floyd asked, pulling me out of my thoughts.

I blushed and nodded, playing with Animal’s collar on the coffee table. Floyd suddenly reached over and hugged me. The act startled me, but I ended up hugging the orange-haired hippie back.

“I’m so stoked for you, kid,” he said softly, “You both are perfect. You’re the reindeer to his sleigh, man. You’re the driving force in his life. I know you’ve dug him for a while now.”

“Yeah,” I nodded, surprised Floyd was revealing this information to me, “I’m happy to see that you and my sister are on good terms since that fight several years ago.”

Floyd shook his head in shame.

“I swore to myself I’d never fight with her again. I can’t risk losing her,” he said sadly.

I put a reassuring hand on his narrow shoulder.

“You won’t, man. You can be sure of that,” I said, smiling a little.

That perked him up. He smiled and hugged me once more before standing up.

“You’re a great friend, Alex. I hope you decide to stay with us this time ’round. I don’t see how we could continue without ya, man,” he admitted.

I stood and took Floyd’s hand.

“Thanks, Floyd, but we’ll see,” I said.

Floyd just nodded. We parted, him going up to Zoot’s loft to get more details about last night, and me going into the kitchen to scrounge for leftovers.

“ALEX! Where have you been?” Janice exclaimed.

I jumped at her sudden scolding.

“Cool it, babe. She was just with the Zootster,” Dr. Teeth said, drying off a plate and setting it in the drainer.

Janice whipped around to me, staring in outrage.

“Like, what were you two doing?” she screeched.

I slowly approached the livid flower child.

“Finding our inner peace, man,” I said, imitating Zoot’s raspy voice.

Janice growled in anger.

“Well, I got my wish,” I said proudly, crossing my arms over my chest.

Janice’s eyes looked ready to pop out of their sockets.

“Like, no way!” she said in awe, clapping her tanned hand over her full lips.

“Yeah, way!” I said with big eyes.

Janice squealed and jumped to hug me.

“Like, you guys are together, for sure?” she asked.

She literally looked like she could explode with excitement. The doc looked like he could explode with laughter at her delight.

“You could call her Zoot’s main squeeze,” Floyd said, strolling in to get an apple off of the counter.

I felt my cheeks go pink again, but this time it was from lack of oxygen on the account of Janice’s squeezing me.

“This is so cool, sis!” she said.

“Now if onleh ya’d join the band,” Dr. Teeth chimed in.

I glared over at the good doctor.

“But, we’ll discuss it later,” he said, leaving the kitchen to get Animal out of the presents.

“We’re going to take a walk into town today. There’s a store that’s like, always open and I thought we may stop and shop. Plus, I know the boys would want to like, play in the park for sure. We got some new snow last night,” she said as she wiped down the table with a Lysol wipe.

“That sounds cool with me,” I shrugged.

Once Janice was finished, we joined the band in the living room.

“Animal, get up. Let’s go for a walk,” Dr. Teeth said to the drummer.

Animal growled at the doc.

“Again?” he asked.

I snorted, trying to hold back laughter.

“We’re all going, sweetheart,” Janice said kindly.

“Oh,” he said, standing.

“Zoot, man! Let’s go!” Floyd shouted up to the loft as he pulled a black, military style jacket on.

“That looks new,” I observed.

Floyd smiled and nodded.

“Yeah, this sweet baby girl got it for me,” Floyd said, looking lovingly at Janice.

I felt jealousy sweep over me and I wanted Zoot to hurry up. However, when I turned around, there he was.

“Crap!” I hissed.

Zoot smirked at me and Animal fell over laughing. Dr. Teeth chuckled as he pulled his boots on.

“I didn’t scare you, did I?” Zoot asked as he strolled over to the coat rack.

From here, I could stand and gawk at Zoot’s ensemble. He was wearing a white, long-sleeved shirt that was buttoned halfway and ripped, faded blue jeans with raggedy Converse. He looked totally “yum, yum” as Animal would say.

“Would ya like to hold the beast, today?” Dr. Teeth asked, hooking up Animal and pulling me out of my musing.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah!” Animal said excitedly at a new person walking him.

I cringed at the heavy metal chain. Animal wasn’t exactly an animal…

“Sure,” I said, taking the leash.

“If you think you can handle him,” Floyd added.

I looked at Animal and we smiled at each other knowingly. Animal and I were extremely close friends, and he was usually very calm around me. Even if something that would possibly excite him did occur, he wouldn’t react much around me.

“I can handle anything, Floyd,” I said confidently.

Floyd just smiled and shook his head.

“And if not,” Zoot said, walking up to us holding several jackets, “I can.”

Floyd stared at Zoot knowingly, making Animal look at both of them in confusion and Dr. Teeth grin.

“If you so say, man,” Floyd shrugged, slipping his arm around Janice’s waist before stepping out into the snow.

Zoot handed Animal a green plaid jacket, making him look really Scottish. He then handed me my leather one and slipped into his.

“Thanks, Zoot,” I said, as he held it up for my to slide my arms in.

Zoot turned me around and zipped up the front.

“No prob,” he said with a smile.

I finished strapping and buttoning the endless amount of straps and buttons on my motorcycle jacket while Zoot made sure Animal was bundled up.

“Let’s go, ya three,” Dr. Teeth said as he held the door open for us.

Animal led the way out the door. I expected him to tug at the leash like a bloodhound on the trail, but he calmly stepped out on the frozen porch, patiently waiting. Dr. Teeth slapped Zoot’s favorite hat on his head and shades on his face and smiled at the surprised look on Zoot's face.

“Boy, we needa go get ya a new hat,” the doc said as we walked out to the sidewalk.

Zoot spun around to the doctor and pouted.

“But, I love my hat,” he argued.

I looked up at the old, navy hat that had become Zoot’s signature hat. It was faded and unraveling. I made a mental note to see if I could find him a new one.

“I think ya’d love a new one even betta,” Dr. Teeth said, walking ahead of us.

Zoot and I looked at each other and shrugged. Animal calmly walked beside us and watched the snowflakes flutter down from the sky. Zoot’s fingers lace between mine. I looked up at the saxophonist’s loving smile and felt warm in the freezing cold wind.

“Whoa! Hey guys! Looks like those clouds are gonna be a total drag later on,” Floyd called.

We all looked to the east to see some grim looking clouds moving in.

“More snow!” Animal shrieked excitedly.

“Oh dear. I heard on the news that we were supposed to get more for sure, but that looks bad,” Janice said.

“Groovy,” Zoot said sarcastically.

I looked over at Zoot and gave his hand a reassuring squeeze. So what if it snowed some more? We’d be together and that’s all that mattered.
We turned the corner and walked into downtown. Being Christmas morning, the place was completely deserted.

“Looks like a ghost town, man,” Zoot observed.

I looked around at the street littered with icy patches and trash from last night’s party animals. It was a little depressing.
Ahead of us I spotted Dr. Teeth and Janice speaking. No doubt they were discussing my joining the band. Believe me, it’s not like I didn’t want to, especially now. However, I wasn’t ready to give up my solo dream, even though it was already down the toilet.

“Hey, Zoot!” Floyd called, “Come here, man!”

Zoot looked to me to see if it was okay. I just smiled at him and received a kiss on the cheek before he jogged off to catch up with Floyd. When I turned to look at Animal, he was staring at me.

“What?” I asked.

Animal looked back at Zoot, then to me again.

“Love him?” he asked.

I felt my cheeks heat up at the question. I looked down at the chain, which was now starting to get frosty.

“This leash is really degrading, Animal,” I said, trying to change the subject.

“Sometimes Animal needs it,” he said.

I looked up at the red-headed beast and cocked an eyebrow at him.

“You’re not a dog, dude,” I reminded him.

“A-ni-mal!” he said, poking himself in the chest.

“Okay, okay,” I said, trying to soothe him before he got wild.

We were silent for a moment as we walked passed a closed travel agency.

“Is he why you left the first time?” Animal asked calmly.

I whipped my head around and stared at my friend in shock.

“Animal, no! I thought I told you I was going after my solo career?” I asked.

Did I not remember to tell him? Did he honestly think I would leave because I was getting no where with Zoot? Surely not!

“Yeah, but I thought maybe Zoot, too,” he replied.

“No, Animal. I would never leave on ridiculous accounts like that. I love all of you, and it really hurt to leave you guys. But, you understand why I left, right?” I asked.

Animal nodded.

“Animal understands. Just thought that since Zoot watched you leave,” he replied.

I shook my head.

“That was part of why I came back. I still feel like a jerk for ever leaving,” I said sadly.

I looked down at the wet ground in shame. We stopped walking and Animal put his hand on my shoulder. I looked up at the drummer, who was watching with concern.

“Lexy’s not a jerk,” he said, shaking his head, “I’m happy you came back. All of us are…'specially Zoot. It’s about time you two hooked up.”

That made me smile. Animal smiled that goofy smile of his and hugged me tight.

“Will you stay now?” he asked.

“It looks promising. I mean, I’m completely broke and you guys are the only family I have. If you’ll forgive me for leaving…” I trailed off.

Animal placed both hands on my shoulders, forcing me to face him.

“There’s nothing to forgive. You’re back. I have my best friend back,” he said.

I smiled and felt relief sweep over me.

“ANIMAL! ALEX!” we heard the good doctor call from around the corner.

“Come on!” Animal said excitedly, tugging at his leash.

I laughed and Animal and I proceeded to skid around the corner and catch up with the rest of the band. Zoot was holding the door open and Floyd offered to take Animal off my hands.

“I’m surprised,” Floyd said as handed him the chain.

“I told you I could,” I said, smirking.

Floyd took Animal inside and we followed them in. At the sudden blast of warm air, I shivered.

“You cold?” Zoot asked from behind me, slipping both arms around my waist to hold me close to him.

I wheeled my head around to look up at him and shuddered, but this time not from the cold.

“Well, not anymore,” I said with a smile.

Zoot smiled and kissed my cheek, then took me by the hand to lead me into the store.
The store was like a mixture of a large Hot Topic and an Earthbound Trading Co. It was my kind of store!

“Hey, you guys! What are you all doing here? It’s Christmas morning!” exclaimed the lady behind the counter.

She had blood red hair that was styled like it would be in a western movie, pinned up with flowers. Her fair skin was littered in tattoos and she wore beautiful makeup around her eyes. She reminded me somewhat of Kat Von D.

“Could beh askin’ ya the same thing,” Dr. Teeth said, leaning over the counter and fluttering his eyelids in a flirtatious way.

“Oh, hush you! You know I open on Christmas mornings so people could come in and get last minute gifts,” the tattooed lady said.

“Well, that’s like, what we came in here for,” Janice spoke up, breaking away from Floyd.

“Janice!” the lady squealed, giving my sister a quick hug.

“And this is like, my sister Alex,” Janice said, snatching me away from Zoot.

“Hey!” Zoot said.

“Rully?” Janice snapped, taking me by the arm and yanking me over to the counter.

I turned and looked at Zoot helplessly. He stuffed his hands in his pockets and leaned against a shelf, smirking.

“Alex! I’ve heard some much about you! I’m Sadie! I own the store,” she said, extending a tattooed hand.

I smiled politely and shook her hand.

“Nice to meet you,” I said.

“Alex, like, showed up by surprise last night,” Janice explained.

“Awesome,” said Sadie, who was taking an emery board to her long, manicured nails.

“Yeah, and now we gotta get more presents,” Dr. Teeth added.

I playfully smacked the doctor and walked off the look at all of the things Sadie had in her shop.

“Feel free to ask if you guys need anything. But remember, I’m closing up at noon,” Sadie called.

I walked up to Animal who was looking at a pair of Kiss drumsticks and took his arm to look at his watch.

“We have an hour,” he said.

I looked to see that it was almost 11.

“Cool,” I said.

I strolled off to the back to browse through the band t-shirts. Sadie had just about every band that I loved up on the wall. Nearby were backpacks and bedroom décor.

“Hey, Alex! Come here,” Janice called.

I walked down the jewelry aisle and found her holding a necklace made of puka shells, black beads, and dangling from the center was a silver saxophone charm.

“You should like, totally get it for Zoot,” she whispered, “He’d love it, for sure!”

I took the necklace and looked at it.

“I don’t know, Janice,” I said apprehensively.

“C’mon, Alex,” she begged.

I looked at the sacks Janice already had loaded up in her arms.

“What are you getting Floyd?” I asked.

Janice peered into a smaller sack.

“New strings, a couple of bracelets, new cap. Speaking of caps, I got Zoot a new hat I think he’d like. Shh! Like, don’t tell,” she said.
I laughed and looked back down at the necklace.

“I got all of you something, even though you guys have tons of presents waiting for you at home. Oh, I just love Christmas!” she said, leaving me behind with the necklace.

It was a cool necklace. I'd wear it myself if I were male.

"Whatcha got there, kid?" Floyd asked, sneaking up behind me.

I jumped as Floyd rested his chin on my shoulder. I smirked and held up the necklace for his opinion.

"What do you think?" I asked.

Floyd left his perch on my shoulder and held the sax charm in his palm.

"Mmm, Zoot would really dig this, man," he said.

"You think he'd like it? Janice suggested it, but I don't know..."

"Alex, that boy loves you more than playing that sax of his. You should of seen how bummed he was after you left," he said.

Floyd walked forward to look at the incense burners.

"Oh, come on, Floyd! I've already had this conversation with Animal," I complained, picking up a gargoyle knick-knack.

"I'm not tryin' ta guilt-trip ya, man. I'm just tryin' to tell ya how much he loves you, Alex. He'd be the happiest dude alive to get a gift from you," Floyd explained.

I looked up at the bassist in amazement.

"What's the matter? You look like I just blew your mind," Floyd said and laughed as he selected a burner and a packet of incense to purchase.

"So you really think he'd like this?" I asked, ignoring his comment.

Floyd looked back down at the necklace to examine it.

"Even I'd wear that! Do they have a bass one?" he asked, walking back over to the puka shell necklaces.

"I think she's out. I only saw a few," I replied.

Floyd spent a few minutes digging through the necklaces before he found a brown one with a gold bass on it.

"Ah! Far out, man!" he said excitedly, "Come on, Alex. Let's go buy these so we can go to the park before lunch."

After Floyd and I bought our gifts, we waited with Animal at the front of the store while Dr. Teeth, Janice, and Zoot were still shopping.

"Geez, how long does this usually take?" I asked, looking up at Floyd.

"Long time," Animal grumbled.

"Yeah, for future reference: never shop with the doc or Janice. My baby girl loves to shop," he said.

Animal stared at Floyd. He looked completely caught off-guard.

"What, dude?" Floyd asked.

"Teeth is your baby?" Animal asked.

I burst out laughing as Floyd took a magazine from a shelf and smacked him with it. Animal and I just laughed as Floyd stood there fuming.

"And you were able to hold a conversation with this guy?" Floyd asking jokingly.

Animal stuck his tongue out at Floyd, causing the bassist to reach over me to fight with Animal.

"Alright, alright! Enough!" I said, pushing the boys away from each other.

"Floyd, can you not get enough?" I heard a raw voice snap.

I looked up to see Zoot approach us as Janice and Dr. Teeth were checking out with Sadie. Zoot gave Floyd a playful, crooked grin and glanced coldly at him from the side.

"Tryin' to get your hands on her?" Zoot asked smoothly.

Floyd looked astonished at Zoot's accusation. Then, Zoot smacked Floyd in the stomach with his bags, causing Floyd to double over and Zoot laugh. Animal and I almost toppled over from laughing so hard.

"No, man," Floyd choked out.

Animal and I took the bags away from the boys.

"Rully?" Janice asked, sounding a bit peeved as she approached us with truckloads of bags.

"Here, baby, lemme take those," Floyd said softly.

"Dang, whadya do to him?" Dr. Teeth asked Zoot.

Zoot gave the band leader a seemingly innocent smile. The doc just shook his head.

"Zoot, if you like, left a bruise there stuff will be hitting the fan, for sure," Janice said, fussing over Floyd.

"Baby, he didn't hit me that hard!" Floyd said.

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"Janice, I was just playing with him," Zoot spoke up, trying to soothe her.

Janice furrowed her eyebrows at Zoot. She definitely wasn't happy with him.

"Let's not show out anymore," I suggested quietly, taking Zoot's arm.

"But-"

I raised an eyebrow at Zoot, stopping his arguing.

"Okay," he said, defeated.

"Come on, guys. That storm is blowin' fast. There may be no playin' in the snow today," Dr. Teeth said, looking out the window at the dark clouds coming in.

"Yeah, let's just go back home before we freeze, for sure," Janice suggested.

Animal began to throw a fit.

"Oh, Animal. Just think of how much more there will be tomorrow," I said, trying to keep him calm.

It didn't work this time.

"Animal, down!" Floyd snapped.

Animal's fussing instantly ceased.

"You're good at that," Zoot commented.

"Why, thank ya, sir," Floyd said, bowing to the sax god that was clinging to my waist.

"Let's go home and like, wrap some presents!" Janice said as we began to file out the door.

"Goodbye!" the guys and I called to Sadie.

"Goodbye," she called, "Merry Christmas!"

As we walked down the sidewalk home, Dr. Teeth sauntered up to me with a mischievous grin.

"Yes?" I asked, giggling.

His devilishness was becoming contagious.

"So, how's about takin' meh up on that offer?" he asked, hands behind his back.

I sighed and looked over at Zoot. He instantly brightened up at the question.

"Well, I am kind of broke at the moment. I mean, literally," I said.

Zoot chuckled and squeezed my waist tighter. He really wanted to hear an answer.

"I'll let ya play rhythm guitar alongside your sis. Or, if you're up to it, I know how ya used to play sax. Maybe ya could play alongside your boy," the doctor suggested.

I looked up at Zoot's handsome face.

"No way would I steal his thunder. Leave the sax for Zoot. I'll be more than happy to play guitar, though," I said.

Dr. Teeth's eyes almost popped out of his head and Zoot jumped.

"Really? Ya, really mean it?" Dr. Teeth exclaimed.

I smiled widely and nodded.

"Yes! We'll announce it to the band tonight!" he said excitedly.

Dr. Teeth jogged off to catch up with the rest of the group. Zoot stopped me and we stood there until the band turned the corner of the street. He then scooped me up and hugged me tightly. I was taken aback, but then hugged my boy tightly.

"You're staying," he said in his soft voice.

"How could I not?" I asked, stroking his curly, deep blue hair.

Zoot pulled away and quickly locked his lips with mine, stroking my cheek. All at once, I didn't feel the bitter wind surrounded us. All I felt was the warmth of Zoot.

If part of this didn't make sense, I'm sorry. I had to go back and cut some parts out. As you can probably tell, some parts have been censored.

AnimatedC9000

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but... I have to agree with Ailie. Zoot isn't that hot in canon. He's really a burn-out, balding, Jewish... basically, everything OPPOSITE what you're portraying him as. The story is not that interesting and it lacks depth. It only seems to fulfill your fantasies and lacks the things that draw others in. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but that's just how it is.

mayhemist

Reaction score
Well...great. Yeah, I knew it was bland and fluffy and slightly on the stupid side. In the original version they were people, I made it a point that he was Jewish, and it took place in whatever early days the band had.

Chapter 4 was going to be where the plot turned around. I hadn't had a definite plan for it until I got the idea for the main issue. Chapter 2 was just a filler.

What can I do to change it? Any advice or shall I trash it?

mayhemist

Reaction score
Just keep reading this. I want to make this one work. I've gone back and re-worked Zoot a tad. This one is really slow to get going. I wrote the first three chapters back in December, running through large amounts of writer's block, which is probably why it's so slow to start. I think I've sped up the pace in the fourth chapter if you'll bear with me.
I would also like to point out that Zoot's behavior on the show was due to the lack of knowing what to do with him. I think it's kind of left Zoot's character open to do whatever. No one has really filled in the blanks, if you catch my drift. I tried to keep him as the spacey, quiet saxophonist, but Zoot has a life too. No one has given him one. Sorry, he's my favorite character and I have a strange urge to write about him.

Chapter 3: Snow Bound

After a long afternoon of wrapping presents, Animal and I settled in the living room while Zoot had a cat nap and Dr. Teeth, and Janice began to work on Christmas dinner. Dr. Teeth was cooking a turkey (much to Animal's delight), while Janice worked on baking cookies and other deserts. Floyd sat cross-legged on the couch, listening to the weather reporter and thumbing around on his bass.

"Man, I could use some new strings," Floyd grumbled.

Animal and I were laying on the floor in front of the fireplace, he on his back and my head on his chest, reading an issue of Spin he had picked up at Sadie's store. Animal started laughing at Floyd's complaint and I had to shush him.

"What?" Floyd asked.

"Nothing," we said in unison, then giggled when we realized what we had done.

Floyd just sighed and began playing his bass again.

"Weather services have confirmed a blizzard of epic proportions. Locals say a storm like this has not occurred in years. Nancy Bear has the story," said a male voice on the television.

"Hey, Alex! Animal! Come check this out," Floyd said.

Floyd reached for the remote to turn the volume up as we crawled over to sit in front of the TV like little kids watching Saturday morning cartoons.

"This is going to be one nasty storm."

"I pray all your friends and loved ones are safe at home. One could die out here if they were to get stuck in this."

"My wife and I were going to fly to Florida this weekend. Looks like we're a little late for that."

The reporter showed clips of hardware stores stripped of their items and snow piling up by the second, as well as power lines down and several wrecks.

"Dang," I gasped.

"Animal doesn't like," Animal said, shaking his head.

I looked back at Floyd. He got up and walked over to the window. He wiped the fog away to peer out at the winter horrors.

"Floyd?" I asked.

"Man, this is going to be a doozy," he said solemnly.

Janice came in with a mixing bowl in her arms, stirring what appeared to be chocolate chip cookie dough.

"Are you watching the news? Sweetheart, you know watching the news always like, bums you out," Janice said.

Floyd walked back over to the couch and sat down beside his bass.

"But, baby, look," he said, pointing to the TV screen.

Janice clicked her tongue and stole the remote to turn the channel.

"Cartoons!" Animal shrieked, scooting closer to the TV.

I looked back at my sister and Floyd.

"No more of that. You'll be bummed all night, for sure," Janice said.

Floyd opened his mouth to protest, but instead received a short peck on the forehead before the flower child returned to the kitchen. Defeated, Floyd kicked his heels up and settled for watching Tom and Jerry with Animal and I.

"Time to open presents!" Janice announced excitedly as she walked in juggling more presents.

The tree was already overflowing with presents from Santa and the boys. How much more was Janice going to pull out of the hallway closet?

"PRESENTS! PRESENTS!" Animal shouted.

Animal lurched forward to attack Janice, but Floyd acted quick and grabbed the wild drummer by his T-shirt collar. Animal lunged and Floyd held the him between his lanky legs, choking him.

"Down!" Floyd growled.

Animal immediately sat like an obedient dog with his head hanging. I sat down beside Animal and put my hand on his shoulder.

"Animal?" I asked.

Animal gave me a sideways glance.

"I know you're excited, but can you stay calm tonight. For me?" I asked softly.

Zoot came over and kneeled down before Animal. Animal just hung there stubbornly.

"We don't wanna have to tie you up, dude," Zoot said, "but Floyd's already strung out from this weather."

Animal sighed and then looked up at us. Floyd let go of Animal's collar and kneeled down on Animal's other side.

"I promise I won't choke ya again," Floyd said.

"Okay," Animal said.

I smiled and Zoot patted Animal on the shoulder before getting up again.

"Ho, ho, ho!" Dr. Teeth entered wearing a goofy rainbow Santa hat.

"Oh like, wow!" Janice said and laughed with Floyd.

"That's groovy, man," Floyd said as he went to sit between Zoot and I.

"Thank ya, thank ya," Dr. Teeth said with a grin, sitting at the top of our circle by the Christmas tree.

Zoot twisted over to lay his head in my lap as Dr. Teeth passed out the presents. He was trying so hard to stay awake. Floyd looked at Zoot and chuckled.

"I think the dude's pooped," Floyd said softly.

Animal huffed grumpily. I ran my fingers through his long, thinning, curly blue hair. Contended, Zoot closed his eyes.

"That's like, so adorable!" Janice gushed and reached for her camera.

After the presents were handed out, Dr. Teeth opened his first.

"Why, thank ya, Zoot. This is my favorite movie!" Dr. Teeth said happily.

Zoot roused long enough to smile before dozing off again.

"Now, whadda we have here?" the doc asked.

"That one is from me," I said.

Dr. Teeth's head snapped up.

"Now, Alex, ya didn't have ta get meh anythin'," he said.

I just shrugged. Dr. Teeth ripped away the wrapping paper to reveal a white box. With a pair of scissors Zoot brought in, he sliced the tape and opened the box.

"Oh, that is neat!" he said, holding up a black, leather vest so Janice could snap a picture.

"I thought that could be a gem in your vast collection," I said.

Seeing as I couldn't get up due to Zoot sleeping in my lap, the big guy stood up and came over to hug me.

"Thank ya, Alex," he said, patting my back before he resumed his spot by the fireplace.

Lastly, he opened a few boxes of rings Animal and Janice had gotten him. I gently shook Zoot awake so he could witness the priceless look of Dr. Teeth's face.

"Likes?" Animal asked.

"Yeah. Thank ya, Animal," the doctor said, smiling.

Zoot sat up and pushed his hair out of his face.
Next was Floyd. He eagerly opened up Janice's presents first.

"New strings! Far out!" he exclaimed.

Animal and I looked at each other and snickered. Floyd stared at us from behind his John Lennon style shades.

"That's what you two were laughing about!" he shouted.

Animal and I burst out laughing, causing Dr. Teeth and Zoot to laugh with us. Floyd just shook his head and opened the rest of the presents from Janice. He loved his new cap.
Janice was next to open her presents. She received a ton of stuff, but her favorites were the necklace from Floyd and the purse I bought for her. When she opened my gift, she squealed and hugged my so tightly that Floyd had to peel us apart.

"Next?" Animal asked.

"Let's let Alex and Zoot go first. Ya gots tons of presents there, boy," Dr. Teeth said.

Animal looked up his stack of gifts and nodded in agreement. He then reached over in my pile and handed me the gift he bought me.

"This first," Animal said.

"Okay," I said, laughing.

It was the Led Zeppelin t-shirt that I had been eyeballing in Sadie's store. The little spy. I squealed in excitement and hugged Animal, causing him to squeal out.

"Now, I got you something," Zoot began, "but, it's not here."

I looked at the soft-speaking saxophonist in confusion.

"After dinner we'll go up in the loft. I hid it there 'cause it was too big to wrap," Zoot explained.

I nodded and went for my next present.

"Oh, you're gonna love that one!" Floyd said.

I opened it to reveal the cover of Rush's Grace Under Pressure album.

"Holy crap, Floyd! This is the only one I didn't have and it's my favorite! Thank-you!" I said excitedly.

Floyd smiled broadly and Janice praised him, which he thoroughly enjoyed. I showed the album to Zoot. He smiled and set it in my little pile. I felt Zoot's arms slip around me from the side and his chin rest on my shoulder as I opened my next present from Janice. Janice sat forward in anticipation. This must've been good.
I opened the box and inside were loads of friendship and hemp bracelets, along with several leather wristbands.

"She went a little nuts with the bracelets," Floyd said.

I smiled as I dug through them.

"Yeah, I know I may have gone a little overboard with the bracelets, for sure, but the wristbands are like, from the Christmas's you missed. I thought that I'd like, throw them all together," she said.

I crawled across the circle to hug my sister.

"Thanks, sis," I said, gently squeezing the thin girl.

"Like, you're welcome," she said.

Zoot opened his presents extra slow. He was never one to be in a big hurry, but he was doing it to make Animal mad.

"Don't wanna break it," Zoot said as he ripped the paper off of a box, piece by piece.

Animal growled at Zoot.

"Stop it," I scolded, gently smacking his arm.

Zoot smiled and picked up the pace (only a little, though). He opened up the small package and laughed.

"Since you like to stink up the house, might as well have something to cover it up," Floyd laughed.

Zoot smiled and set down a package of Jasmine scented incense and a wooden burner. After opening a gift from Animal and the new hat that Janice had got him, he opened up mine.

"This is cool!" Zoot said as he lifted the necklace out of the box.

"Yeah, man, I got one, too," Floyd said, pulling the bass necklace out of his t-shirt.

"Cool, man. Lexy, you didn't have to get me anything," Zoot said, turning to me.

I felt my cheeks burn red. I knew he would say that.

"Yeah, but Janice suggested-"

Zoot pressed his index finger to my lips and cut me off.

"Shh. Babe, I love it," he said in his soft as silk voice.

I smiled as he wrapped his skinny arms around me.

"Aw, that's like, so sweet," Janice gushed.

I rolled my eyes and hugged Zoot.

"Here ya go, boy. I saw ya eyeballin' this in that catalogue of yours and decided I outta get it for ya," Dr. Teeth butted in.

He handed Zoot a small box. Zoot unwrapped it and immediately froze.

"I-it's the mouthpiece I've been wanting," Zoot said, shock written all over his face.

"Yup," Dr. Teeth said, crossing his long arms over his chest.

Zoot opened the box and slid out the mouthpiece. I reached over to read the discarded box.

"Jazzy Finnigan's Metal Mouthpiece for Bari Sax," I read outloud.

"Jazzy Finnigan?" Floyd asked,"Man! I bet you had to shell out a lotta cash for that one!"

I tilted my head to the side in confusion. I had never heard of the brand.

"Only the best fo' mah best saxophone playa," Dr. Teeth said.

Zoot's lips turned up into a grateful smile.

"Thank-you," Zoot murmured.

"Yo welcome, man," the doc said.

Animal leaned over closely to Zoot and I.

"My turn?" he asked.

Zoot smiled.

"Yeah, man. Go for it," I said.

Animal let out a victorious shout and the paper began to fly. He got a tie-dye collar from Floyd, speakers and a skateboard from Dr. Teeth, a hammock from Zoot, the Kiss drumsticks he had been looking at from me, and a new outfit from Janice. When he opened her gift, he cocked his head to the side like a confused dog.

"It's for dinner. I want you to like, look your best," she explained.

Animal just growled and rolled his eyes.

"C'mon, Animal. Let's go try this on," Floyd said, getting up.

Animal took his new outfit and followed Floyd into the hall, leaving the rest of us.

"Well, guess it's 'bout time ta start settin' the table," Dr. Teeth said, getting to his feet.

Zoot stood and took both of my hands to hoist me up. When I was on my feet, he gently clasped my hands and smiled sweetly.

"You have no idea how long I've been waiting for a Christmas where you would be joining us," he said softly

I reached up on my tippy-toes to kiss him on the cheek.

"The wait is over," I reassured.

Zoot smiled and held me tightly in the now empty living room. This was-by far-the best Christmas I've ever had!

"Dang, Animal!" I exclaimed.

Animal strode into the dining room with a smug look on his face. He was wearing the new outfit Janice had given him. The black, satiny, buttoned up top, brown straight-legged jeans, and a belt with a giant buckle of a drum-set made him look kind of dashing...well, as dashing as Animal could get. It also looked as if Floyd had attempted to comb Animal's wild hair.

"Oh, like, I knew that would look totally great on you!" Janice squealed as she and Zoot set the table.

Animal and Floyd exchanged glances and then began to laugh. I assumed an inside joke had introduced itself.

Once the table had been set and we had set down to our meal, Dr. Teeth decided to make an announcement.

"Well now, boys and girls," he said in his playful, gravelly voice.

I was taking a sip of punch when I look up at the keyboardist's goofy grin and flamboyant Santa hat. I wish I had taken a picture, because the sight was simply priceless!
The table went silent and everyone turned their attention to Dr. Teeth.

"It seems we may have a new addition to our 'lil gang of misfits," he began.

With the exception of Zoot, the table erupted with questioning murmurs. Zoot reached under the table and took my hand. He must have sensed that I was nervous. I hadn't even realized I was trembling until I felt stability from Zoot's touch.
I looked up at the blue-haired saxophonist and was greeted with an adorably sweet, reassuring smile that made me nerves melt away. I gently squeezed Zoot's hand, as if to say thank-you and returned the smile.

"Miss Alex has decided to-finally-join our band," Dr. Teeth announced.

All at once, Zoot kissed my cheek, Janice squealed, Floyd attacked me with a hug, and Animal was on the table jumping and shouting.

"Finally! Finally!" Floyd exclaimed.

This was the best Chistmas ever...that is, until the snow ruins it...

Right after everyone had a shower, the power went out.

"Drat!" I heard Dr. Teeth complain from the kitchen.

Janice and I were in her room when the lights went out. We squeaked in surprise, the boys cursed, and Animal shrieked in excitement.

"Oh, like, crud! Where did I put my flashlight?" Janice asked as she fumbled for her nightstand.

She opened the first drawer she could find and felt around with her hand.

"Darn! I must've like, left it in my closet, for sure," she said.

I felt my way to her closet.

"Even if there was light, we'd never find it in there," I said.

Janice groaned.

"Are you girls okay?"

"Zoot!" Janice and I exclaimed in unison at the sight of his pale face being illuminated by a candle.

We jumped over to the light.

"Yeah, we're fine. Janice just crapped her pants is all," I said, jokingly.

Janice scoffed and playfully slapped my arm.

"Well, come on into the living room where it's lit. Looks like we may be camping out there tonight," he said.

Janice and I obeyed and followed the saxophonist out into the living room. A mattress had been pulled out into the floor and the fold-out bed was being dressed and ready for sleepy musicians to occupy it.

"We may keep warm if we all stay in here for the night," Dr. Teeth explained to Janice and I as we entered.

"Lexy!" Animal shrieked from his spot on the mattress.

"Looks like I'm on the mattress with Animal," I said to my sister.

"Like, good luck," she said.

Janice then went over to the couch and slid in with Floyd and the doc on the opposite side. I plopped down beside and Animal, followed by Zoot.

"Rah," Animal grunted, staring at me with wild eyes.

"Animal," Floyd warned as he pulled up his blankets.

"No!" Animal shouted, "Like camping."

"Yeah?" Zoot asked.

Animal scooted down and snuggled up under his quilt.

"Without crapping on leaf," he continued.

All of us except for Zoot and Janice howled with laughter. Zoot was too shocked to laugh and Janice thought it was highly inappropriate.

"Oh, lighten up, babe," Floyd said.

I looked from the couch to Animal, who was almost fast asleep. That's when two slender arms grabbed me by the waist and yanked me under the covers. I rolled over to see heavy lids drooping over Zoot's eyes.

"Did you have a merry Christmas?" I asked.

Zoot gave me a tired smile. I snuggled closer into his chest.

"I could do without the snow," Zoot said in that smart-mouth tone of his.

I giggled and lightly clutched his t-shirt in my fist. His arms tightened around me and before I knew it, I was fast asleep.

mayhemist

Reaction score
Chapter 4: Push That Knot Away

The next morning, we were spooked awake by the sound of scraping outside. I laid on the mattress quietly and watched Floyd stumble out of bed and walk over to the window.

"What time is it?" Zoot grumbled.

I looked at my wrist and found my leather watch missing.

"No clue. My watch is in the loft," I replied.

We heard Dr. Teeth grumble as he rolled over to peer into the dark kitchen.

"If my eyes don't deceive meh, I'd say it's around 7:49," he said.

Zoot hummed thoughtfully and wrapped his arms around me.

"Good morning, babe," he said.

He proceeded to prop himself up on his elbow, then leaned in and gave me a sweet, gentle, yet passionate kiss that fully woke me up.

"Well!" I gasped.

He just smiled and nuzzled back into me. I curled into him, seeking warmth. The warehouse was freezing!

"Looks like they got the plows out, guys!" Floyd said from the window.

"Like, already?" Janice asked, sitting up and rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

"Mehbe the storm wasn't that bad after-all," Dr. Teeth said.

Floyd slowly made his way back over to the couch and sat down at the foot, gently tapping Animal's sleeping form. Animal snarled in his sleep, causing Zoot to jump and me to laugh.

"Floyd, let him sleep," Dr. Teeth scolded.

Floyd gave Animal a crooked smile and turned over to crawl over to his bohemian girlfriend. Janice wasn't interested in sleep anymore. She crawled out of bed, much to Floyd's dismay.

"Do you like, think that people may be trapped out there?" she asked us.

"There's no tellin', sweetheart," Floyd said, looking slightly peeved.

Janice walked over to the front door and brushed away the fog with her sleeve.

"What if they've been like, trapped all night?" she pondered.

"They'd be frozen," I said in a cold voice, annoyed at my sister's worrying so early in the morning.

"Now, Lexy, c'mon," Zoot said, in that tone that my mother would use.

Janice mumbled more troubled sentences that forced me to sit straight up and get out of the warmth of Zoot's arms.

"Lexy?" the sax player asked.

"Shower," I muttered.

Thank Page they had a gas water heater!

In the kitchen, Janice, Dr. Teeth, and Zoot were sitting at the table deep in conversation. Floyd was leaning against the counter looking rather peeved. Animal was chowing down on his breakfast at the island.
I walked in to see Janice and Dr. Teeth focused on each other, meanwhile, Zoot was drifting back off to dreamland. He had the same idea I had.
Yawning, I walked over to Animal and laid my head on his shoulder. Animal jumped in surprise.

"Oh. Ah!" he said, realizing it was only me, then returned to his breakfast.

I buried my face in the beastly drummer's soft, furry shoulder.

"What's wrong, man? Didn't catch enough sleep last night?" Floyd asked from across the kitchen.

I mumbled into the drummer's shoulder, feeling sleep come back to me.

"Huh?" I heard Floyd ask.

"She said she slept well," Animal spoke up for me.

I heard Floyd chuckle and everything was calm again, minus Animal's eating and the small argument in progress at the table.

"Janice, even if-"

Dr. Teeth was cut off by a loud thud on the wooden surface of the table. Janice squeaked in surprise and Floyd laughed.
I looked up from Animal's shoulder to see Zoot face-down, passed out on the table. I snorted a laugh and went back to sleep on Animal. I shouldn't be surprised. I had forgotten how spacey the saxophonist could be.

"Anyhoo," Dr. Teeth continued, "As I was sayin', I'm not takin' mah precious bus out there in that snow, Janice. That's not gonna fly."

I opened my eyes and hauled myself off of Animal. What on earth were they talking about?

"But like, we gotta do something," Janice pleaded.

"We don't even know what's out there, babe," Floyd butted in.

"Well, it can't be that bad. The plows like, made it," she argued.

"One plow, babe," Dr. Teeth reminded her.

Janice huffed and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Truck?" Animal asked.

All of us, excluding the snoozing Zoot, turned our attention to the drummer.

"Like, I wish. We'd be able to get through that snow for sure with a truck," Janice said.

Dr. Teeth and Floyd were ignoring my sister, staring wide-eyed at Animal.

"Do you still have that thing, Animal?" Floyd asked.

"Oh, please don't tell me you own a vehicle," I blurted.

Animal grinned mischievously.

"That monster truck? Why, I buhlieve it's still in the shed," the doctor said.

Janice reached over and shook Zoot awake.

"Get up. We like, found an escape plan," she said.

Zoot groaned and cluelessly followed the band as they grabbed their coats and ran out the back door.

"Pretty truck!" Animal exclaimed as Dr. Teeth slowly drove the truck onto the driveway.

"It's like, perfect!" Janice said excitedly.

Zoot and I just stared at it while Floyd shook his head.

"It's a coffin," I said.

"Oh, come now," Dr. Teeth said from the driver's seat, "We're just going on a lil rescue mission is all."

"What?" I asked, not paying any attention as Janice gave me a quick hug before jumping in beside the grinning idiot at the wheel.

"It's what we do, Alex. We're not just a band. We try to help out others as best we can," the doc continued to explain.

"In this snow? You two are going to get yourselves killed!" I shouted over the rumbling diesel engine.

"Like, where's Z..Zoot! Get in here!" Janice called out Dr. Teeth's window.

Zoot snapped out of his staring and began to walk toward the truck. I quickly grabbed his wrist and yanked him back.

"No you don't!" I said.

Zoot opened his mouth the speak, but I was already shooting my mouth off.

"I swear, if I lose you again!" I growled, pointing a finger at him.

"Don't worry, babe," he said, then hugged me before shuffling off to the truck.

"Zoot!" I whined in frustration.

"Don't worreh!" Dr. Teeth shouted once Zoot was buckled in, "We'll be back by noon."

With that, Dr. Teeth rolled up the window and slowly pulled Animal's truck out onto the freshly plowed road.

"They're going to regret this," I said.

Floyd took my shoulder and led me back inside, with an unusually worried Animal in tow.

I didn't expect them to be back by noon, so it didn't worry me when the truck never showed up in the driveway when my watch ticked 12. However, I was beginning to get slightly anxious when three rolled around.
I had sat in the window with the cat all day waiting on the appearance of my new boss, my sister, and my Zoot. Animal sat in the floor and watched me. He hadn't touched any of his new presents. I figured he would have been skateboarding through the warehouse by now. Instead, he just sat worriedly watching.
Floyd had forced me into eating my lunch, but all I could do was pick at it.

"Dude, I'm worried too, but we're just gonna have to be patient," the older hippie said.

I just sighed and remained in the window with my leftovers from Christmas dinner.

By the time the sky was darkening, I was ready to call the cops.

Dr. Teeth strolled down the freezing cold sidewalk, making sure his scuffed boots didn't skid and cause him to fall on the icy patches. The electricity had been restored to this side of town, leaving the barren street look like a winter wonderland. The band leader would have loved the sight, had it not been for the gloom and despair that loomed over him like the lingering blizzard clouds.
He silently ducked in a dark alley between a barber shop and a deli, popping out on the other side. He had no idea where he was going or why he was heading to the ghetto side of town. His nose was cold and he was exhausted. He thought about checking into a sleazy, cheap hotel...but with what money? He had left his wallet with Floyd.
Shivering he walked down the white sidewalk, noting that he didn't spot any other footprints but his own. He shouldn't have been surprised. People were smart not to venture out in this.
He continued his walk passed apartments until he spotted his destination on the corner. It called to him like a lighthouse beacon in the night. With a jolt of adrenaline, the keyboardist leapt over a snowbank and ran over to the phone booth. He roughly yanked the frozen door open and climbed in.
He felt much warmer in the booth with the glass serving as a barrier from the frigid wind. Thinking quickly, he stuffed his numb, ringed fingers in his pockets, hunting for spare change. Checking his pants and vest pockets, he finally found a quarter in his inner vest pocket.

"Please work, please work," he whispered as he nervously slid the coin into the slot.

His hands trembled as the phone rang. He only hoped the cell number he had called reached a working phone.

"Yello?" came a smooth, deep voice.

Dr. Teeth froze at the sound of the familiar voice. It had worked. Thank heavens!

"Clifford?" Dr. Teeth asked.

"Teeth? Hey! How are ya?" said Clifford in an utterly too cheerful voice.

"I could beh betta," he said quietly.

"I'm sorry to here that, man. Well, what is it I can do for ya?" Clifford asked.

Dr. Teeth took a moment to collect his thoughts.

"Well, uh, I was jus' wonderin' if ya still had that Hummer?" the doc inquired.

"The Hummer? Yeah, I keep it just for this kinda weather. Oh! Don't tell me ya got that rad bus stuck! Don't worry, doc. I'll be there in a jif-"

"No, no, Cliff. It's not the bus. It's safe at home," Dr. Teeth quickly corrected.

"Then, what's goin' on man?" Clifford asked.

Dr. Teeth took a deep breath. He knew explaining this to Clifford would be hard, but it was a breeze compared to taking this story back to the Electric Mayhem's warehouse.

"There's been an accident. I'll give ya the details latah. Could you just come pick meh up? I'm in a phone booth on the corner of Sharp and 5th," he said.

"Sure thing, man. I'll be there shortly," Clifford said.

The two exchanged goodbyes and hung up. Dr. Teeth was having trouble standing under the weight of what had happened. He just hoped he wouldn't vomit or pass out under the pressure.

fictionalnice

Reaction score
Oh my god! I love your story! and don't listen to what other say!! your story is wonderful! and I for one think it's spectacular! what matters is how much you love your creation! Its about expressing yourself and your ideas and opinions and don't let anyone else get you down! I love it!!! PLEASE!!! POST MORE!!! :big_grin: