A Nest Divided: A Sam the Eagle Story

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Huh... Thought Chuck would have gone to McDonald's since he kept stealing Michael and Larry's food during their games of HORSE.
I should have put that in there! Or maybe I should have had him go to Weight Watchers, lol. :wink:

Thanks for reading and commenting!

theSHE124

Reaction score
Great timing, Charlie, since Thanksgiving is almost here! :hungry: I never knew Sam the Eagle can play basketball, and has he gotten the voice-mail yet? But I thought Gonzo would be the star player. It's hard to believe he can get easily blocked by a mop! Must be part of the sketch humor...:confused:

theSHE124

Reaction score
Happy New Year, Charlie! [:excited: blows...whatyumacallit-thingy] I was gonna ask about the next chapter for Christmas; but the more I kept forgetting, the more I realized it might be too much pressure for you during the holidays. So I had to back off by waiting for TDC Author Quest to count down...

But now, with all that partyness starting to wane down, I can't wait to see the Thanksgiving chapter coming up! :flirt:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm working on the next chapter now, can't say when it will be done yet, but it's coming along.

theSHE124

Reaction score
How's it going, Charlie? With the icy storm, I don't have many things better to do. Will you be able to finish the next chapter this week? That'll make my day...:dreamy:

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
It's not ready for this week, but it will be up by the end of the month.
You know what? That's a great idea to post it at the end of the month. There is a lot of stuff going on and I understand if you decide to have second thoughts and maybe go back to your chapter to check to make sure you don't any mistakes, spelling errors, etc.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
"Here you are! And don't worry, the pom-pons won't bite."​
Piggy gave Beau a strange look while he walked away, while Janice eyed the pom-pons suspiciously.​
I JUST caught up and now I can't stop laughing at that line because now all I can imagine is Janice whispering to her pom-poms 'I'm on to you'

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Apologies to any brand names, television shows, or historical figures mentioned in this chapter.

Chapter 20
"….and that's when James Polk realized he needed another pair of socks, that despite all his best efforts, this pair could not be saved by his trusty needle and thread again. "​
"We'll be right back on The Presidential Laundry after these commercials."​
With his show on commercial break, Sam turned his attention back to the rest of his room. With Matty's arrival forthcoming, everything needed to be in order. Since he couldn't make sure that Animal was confined to the pool house, or that Lew Zealand's fish would stop rehearsing his act on the patio, or that Bobo wouldn't wear a tank-top and do his calisthenics in the living room, he decided to clean his room. So he took all his books off their shelves and dusted, vacuumed every square inch of carpet, and hid all his Just-For-Men sky blue feather dye in the closet. Now everything was tip-top and square.​
"Hey Sam! How's it going?"​
"All right, Rowlf. As you can see I'm cleaning the room, since no one else will take on this burden."​
"I can smell the Lysol in the air; is that lemon-scent? Hey wait a minute….where are my songbooks? And my mini-keyboard? And my kibble containers?"​
"You can't be bothered to clean, so I put them in the closet, where they belong."​
Rowlf sighed. "Not like I was using those or anything. Why are you so anxious about cleaning anyway, the Building Department isn't coming here again for at least another two months?"​
The Los Angeles County Building Department was a frequent visitor to the Muppet estate, normally because of reports of homemade rockets or science experiments conducted on the front lawn, a variety of mice parking their motorcycles all over the road and blocking traffic, or someone going around and eating all their neighbors' garbage. Evidently most people didn't find those "cool" or "just a part of everyday life".​
"He's anxious because ol' wifey is coming over for Thanksgiving," chimed in Floyd.​
"Oh, I see," remarked Rowlf with a smile.​
"Her name is Matty, not wifey. Please show a little class now, Mr. Pepper."​
"Don't get on me for telling the truth, flappy feathers."​
"Is it wrong that I want to clean this place up before I have a guest over? There are only so many places that can be filled with soda bottles and chicken feed and post-it notes with crude drawings of Thog on them. There needs to be one safe place for Matty."​
"It can't be a room with you in it," cracked Floyd.​
"And why is that?"​
"Too much hot air coming from your pontificating."​
Floyd sauntered away triumphantly, leaving a fuming Sam and Rowlf in the room.​
"Well, I better make sure you didn't throw anything of mine away, so it's off to the closet."​
Rowlf immediately began tossing out items of clothing from his closet, scattering them around the room like leaves in a rainstorm. Socks and ties fell to the ground in a ugly heap.​
"Would you quit doing that? I just vacuumed the floor!"​
Rowlf stuck his head out of the closet, an argyle sock stuck to his right ear. "Well my clothes don't have any crumbs on them. Mostly. Probably. Maybe not my bathrobe though."​
Sam picked up the bathrobe and huffed in disgust. "I think I see some pretzel residue on here. Think it's Snyder's of Hanover."​
"How did you know?"​
"I had a friend who owns a grocery store."​
"Uncanny. We should play this game with Beauregard's overalls next time."​
Any talk of pretzels was then interrupted by a knock at the door.​
"Is Rowlf here? I need to give him back his harmonica."​
"Fozzie! I'm in the back, come on in."​
Sam sighed as Fozzie walked through the room.​
"Gee, it sure smells like lemons in here. Have you been making lemonade?"​
"No, Sam's been scrubbing everything down."​
"That's too bad, I would have liked some lemonade."​
Sam cleared his throat in an attempt to regain control of the situation. "I've been cleaning this room since I'm having a guest over, and want at least one room in this glorified hostel to look nice."​
"You're making this hostel a pretty hostile place if I may so myself," quipped Rowlf as Sam placed his head in his wings.​
"Oh yeah, Matty's coming to visit. I'll bet she's excited to see Andrew and Hillary, it's been awhile since she's seen them."​
"Yes, Fozzie, and that's why I want things to be nice and orderly for when she comes. So why don't you do me a favor and go clean out the garage so it's nice and clean for when she gets out of the airport limo."​
"Gee, the garage has been getting messy lately since Rizzo and his friends moved their gin rummy games in there. Guess it's time someone cleaned out all the cans of Diet Tab. Well, I'll see you around Sam and Rowlf."​
Fozzie headed back out the door, then stopped in the doorway.​
"I get it now! Hostel/hostile! You're so good with puns, Rowlf."​
"I do what I can."​
"Mind if I use that in a routine?"​
"No problem, always like to help out a friend."​
"Gee thanks! I better write that down before I forget it." Fozzie scampered away down the hall in pursuit of pen and paper.​
Sam sighed and then began to fold some laundry that was in a basket on his bed, while Rowlf finally closed the closet door with his foot, balancing several songbooks and a keyboard in his arms.​
"Would you get that sock off of your ear? You look ridiculous!"​
Rowlf brushed a hand to his head. "Oh! Didn't see that there. Thanks for letting me know."​
Sam said nothing, and turned back to his laundry. The silence stewed for minutes until Rowlf tried to venture into a conversation again.​
"So when is Matty coming?"​
"Tomorrow morning, around 11:00."​
"Are the kids excited?"​
"Yes, Andrew's got a lot of pictures from the set he wants to show her, and Hillary has made plans to go see a taping of The Price is Right with her on Monday, though I don't know why anyone would bother going to see that show since Bob Barker retired. He was a real man of integrity."​
"Are you excited?"​
Sam stammered. "Well, she does have some of my books from home, so it will be good to get those back. I left my copy of Henry Clay's diaries there, and-"​
Rowlf shook his head. "Are you excited to actually see Matty?"​
"Well…I haven't seen her in awhile…and"​
A long pause hung in the air, as Sam idly jumbled a pair of socks in his hands.​
"I'm not sure what to expect."​
"I'm sure she'll be happy to see you and the kids. She wouldn't have come otherwise. It's a long trip from Virginia to Los Angeles."​
"Thanks."​
"And I'm sure her wings will be tired once she gets here."​
"Could you cut out the wordplay for once!?"​
*******************​
Coming up next in Chapter 21: Matty's here.​

theSHE124

Reaction score
Have you been making lemonade? LOL My Mom is so like that when we have guests visiting and sleeping in the house! She often worries how roomy and homey and cleany enough for our visitors will be. Yet here I am who forgets a chore or two! :oops:

Plus, I like how Rowlf's always there to help out any friend, Fozzie or Sam. Hey! I also wanna play 'Guess-what-kinda-crumbs-are-on-Beauregard's-Overalls'! And rat-sized motorcycles parked in the middle of the road?? Well, that's one way to cause more traffic in LA. :shifty:

This latest chapter has really made my day, Charlie. For one thing, I've been thru 7 contests for the past 2 yrs. but haven't really won anything. It seems like no matter how big my talents are, it seems my own 'trusty needle and thread' will never mend the pairs of socks beaten by rejection. :sigh: