"I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story" documentary in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They're planning on releasing it in theaters, so surely just about anyone will have a chance of seeing it.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Greetings, Copper Pot!

I'm looking forward to this film. I've admired Carroll Spinney for some times because of his utter amazingness. Yeah, that sounds dopey, but you guys have been making a film about him; I bet you know what I mean.

Anyhow, have you reached out to the Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta about a screening? They had one for Being Elmo, and it reached the perfect audience. Just a thought.

CopperPot

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Thanks for your questions. We'll answer them below:

1. Is there a release date scheduled at this time or is it too early to tell yet?
It's still a bit too early to tell. We've begun applying to some festivals and we're trying to figure out the best strategy to get a wide release for the film. There's been a lot of interest, so we're hopeful you'll see it in the early months of 2014.

2. For those of us who supported the Kickstarter campaign last year, will we still receive our advance DVD/Blue-Ray copies of the film in December?

Sadly, no.

You should've received your update by now, but if you haven't, here's what we wrote:

"Though the film is on schedule to be completed by the end of December, there are two factors that are going to delay the shipping of the DVD/Bluray. They are:
1. Distribution: We've already had a lot of distribution offers for I AM BIG BIRD. We are sorting through them and trying to lock down the best deal for the film that gets it out to as many people as possible. As part of that, we are factoring in getting the DVD/Blurays to you guys before the general public. That said, we'll have to sign that deal before we can start shipping them.

2. Schedule: Even if we signed the distribution deal tomorrow, we are still finishing the film. I AM BIG BIRD is our first picture of this magnitude so there are some elements--like recording a full orchestral score instead of a synthesized one--that have led to some unforeseen delays in the rewards. We expect to have the fully completed film in our hands by Christmas, but even if it is and the distribution deal is signed, it will take some time for the production of the DVD.

The beauty of Kickstarter is that it allows project creators the freedom not to compromise quality. At every turn, we've tried to make this the best possible film we can. Rest assured, the film will be done on time, as promised. And we'll update you as soon as we get any more information that affects the shipping of the DVD/Blurays."

3. Can you give us an idea of what kind of bonus features will be included for the video releases?

Sure!
-At least 2 deleted scenes
-A super special awesome original song written by Caroll's father-in-law, performed by Big Bird and Caroll's father-in-law
-Behind the Scenes of FOLLOW THAT BIRD
-Caroll's short films
-A gallery of Caroll's art
-An animation progression reel
We're still looking into including some other exciting stuff. This list is by no means complete or finalized, but it's some material we know we can get on there.
4. Anyhow, have you reached out to the Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta about a screening? They had one for Being Elmo, and it reached the perfect audience. Just a thought.
And a great thought--again, we refer back to the distributor--once we sign that deal, we'll be able to suggest places like the Center for Puppetry Arts.
Any more questions? Ask away!

zns

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Thanks for your questions. We'll answer them below:

1. Is there a release date scheduled at this time or is it too early to tell yet?
It's still a bit too early to tell. We've begun applying to some festivals and we're trying to figure out the best strategy to get a wide release for the film. There's been a lot of interest, so we're hopeful you'll see it in the early months of 2014.

2. For those of us who supported the Kickstarter campaign last year, will we still receive our advance DVD/Blue-Ray copies of the film in December?

Sadly, no.

You should've received your update by now, but if you haven't, here's what we wrote:

"Though the film is on schedule to be completed by the end of December, there are two factors that are going todelay the shipping of the DVD/Bluray. They are:
1. Distribution: We've already had a lot of distribution offers for I AM BIG BIRD. We are sorting through them and trying to lock down the best deal for the film that gets it out to as many people as possible. As part of that, we are factoring in getting the DVD/Blurays to you guys before the general public. That said, we'll have to sign that deal before we can start shipping them.

2. Schedule: Even if we signed the distribution deal tomorrow, we are still finishing the film. I AM BIG BIRD is our first picture of this magnitude so there are some elements--like recording a full orchestral score instead of a synthesized one--that have led to some unforeseen delays in the rewards. We expect to have the fully completed film in our hands by Christmas, but even if it is and the distribution deal is signed, it will take some time for the production of the DVD.

The beauty of Kickstarter is that it allows project creators the freedom not to compromise quality. At every turn, we've tried to make this the best possible film we can. Rest assured, the film will be done on time, as promised. And we'll update you as soon as we get any more information that affects the shipping of the DVD/Blurays."

3. Can you give us an idea of what kind of bonus features will be included for the video releases?
Sure!
-At least 2 deleted scenes
-A super special awesome original song written by Caroll's father-in-law, performed by Big Bird and Caroll's father-in-law
-Caroll's short films
-A gallery of Caroll's art
-An animation progression reel
We're still looking into including some other exciting stuff. This list is by no means complete or finalized, but it's some material we know we can get on there.
4. Anyhow, have you reached out to the Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta about a screening? They had one forBeing Elmo, and it reached the perfect audience. Just a thought.
And a great thought--again, we refer back to the distributor--once we sign that deal, we'll be able to suggest places like the Center for Puppetry Arts.
Any more questions? Ask away!
Thank you so much for keeping us all informed about this exciting project you guys have been developing for the last year-and-a-half. We are all very excited and look forward to what you guys have created. We certainly hope that everything goes well and that Caroll Spinney's story is everything we hope it will be. :wisdom::wisdom::wisdom::grouchy::grouchy::grouchy:

minor muppetz

Reaction score

Is that the same Behind the Scenes video shown on the Copper Pot YouTube channel, or is it something different? Will the film still have behind-the-scenes footage from the movie (and maybe Caroll discussing it)?

Don't know if you are allowed to reveal or not, but was Jane Henson interviewed for this before she died? Was Kevin Clash interviewed before his resignation (though I guess he still could have been interviewed for this after he resigned)? I think it was said that Jerry Nelson was interviewed before he died.

zns

Reaction score
New from CopperPot:

The movie is finally at it's completion. They have just finished the sound mix and all that's left is for the color correction and finalizing the titles. So hopefully by either next month or the following month that means we will have a release date for the film and when the DVDs will be ready.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
New from CopperPot:

The movie is finally at it's completion. They have just finished the sound mix and all that's left is for the color correction and finalizing the titles. So hopefully by either next month or the following month that means we will have a release date for the film and when the DVDs will be ready.
That's wonderful! I can't wait. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Now, I just want to be clear... this is getting a wide theatrical release, right? I know BEING ELMO had a theatrical release, but it was a very limited one, I seem to recall CopperPot saying they were hoping to release I AM BIG BIRD in more theaters.

Either way, I'm still really excited about seeing this; BEING ELMO was an incredible piece, and I'm sure I AM BIG BIRD is going to be just as wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.