Flanderized Muppets?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've heard some good points about whether TMS Scooter would realistically be a computer nerd. But even in recent years the computer nerd aspect hasn't been explored much. Here are all instances I know of:
  • In Letters to Santa, it is Scooter who sets up a webpage for people to send ideas on how to get the letters to Santa, only for Animal to destroy Scooter's laptop. And apparently Scooter's the only one with a computer (in an age where nearly everybody has a computer) because when Animal destroys it they can't keep looking at the website.
  • In The Muppets Scooter works for Google.

And that's pretty much it. His geekier side was also explored in the first volume of The Muppet Show Comic Book: Family Reunion, but I don't think he did any computer stuff there. Roger Langridge said that he didn't change anything that wasn't already there, just emphasized any nerdy traits, saying that they come out better when his sister's around (so as long as we don't get an adult Skeeter outside of the comics it should be okay).

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Scooter wasn't flanderized. He was so close to Richard Hunt, I think, that when Scooter was inherited, it was difficult to capture the exact personality. I like new Scooter, but he's different than the Hunt era Scooter. A lot of his personality split between Scooter and Walter.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if The Amazing Mumford has been "flanderized". In his earliest sketches, he seems to be good at making magic the way it's intended, with his only trouble being a sketch where he tries to make a rabbit come out of his hat (accidentally turning Grover into a rabbit without realizing). But he would go on to be good at magic but not good at predicting how his magic will turn out.

Or maybe it's a different trope.

Though it seems most of the magic he was good at in those early years involved making things disappear and reappear (and in one case making Herry appear instead of who he made disappear).

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I wonder if The Amazing Mumford has been "flanderized". In his earliest sketches, he seems to be good at making magic the way it's intended, with his only trouble being a sketch where he tries to make a rabbit come out of his hat (accidentally turning Grover into a rabbit without realizing). But he would go on to be good at magic but not good at predicting how his magic will turn out.

Or maybe it's a different trope.

Though it seems most of the magic he was good at in those early years involved making things disappear and reappear (and in one case making Herry appear instead of who he made disappear).
This thread is only for Muppet Show-family characters, though.

Perhaps a seperate thread is in order for the Sesame Muppets.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I guess, in some small way, Animal has kind of been flanderized... looking back at some of the Season One episodes of TMS, on some occasions, he seems to be able to use near-complete sentences without resorting to that straight-up caveman talk he does... of course, Frank has said Animal's always been a one-dimensional character, so yeah.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I guess, in some small way, Animal has kind of been flanderized... looking back at some of the Season One episodes of TMS, on some occasions, he seems to be able to use near-complete sentences without resorting to that straight-up caveman talk he does... of course, Frank has said Animal's always been a one-dimensional character, so yeah.
Yeah, but I think that, if anything, they've added MORE dimensions to Animal's character in recent years, as evidenced in things like the Disney.com videos and the 2011 movie.