Squeal of Fortune

P

Princeton

I'm very interested in learning more about this skit. Cast list, air date, pictures, etc. So, if anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it. Thanx!

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Well- I remember seeing this sketch on Sesame Street circa 1987 or so. The new Muppets Pat Playjacks and Velma Blank were used for this game show sketch- "Squeal of Fortune". (obvious parodies of Pat Sajak and Vanna White- the real life host and hostess of Wheel of Fortune) I'm pretty sure it was only done once (that is, there weren't any further Squeal of Fortune sketches done that I know of)
The main thing I remember is that the contestants had to spin a wheel and a pig was in the middle and he would squeal to determine where the wheel would land or something to that effect. I remember the prizes- it was mainly school supplies and stuff with Pat and Velma's faces on them, I believe. And I remember something about a bust of a man's face and a grapefruit.
And toward the end, some fish came into the studio and Pat told them that Eel of Fortune was next door.

1987 would probably be about right for this sketch, since Wheel of Fortune first started airing in 1986 I believe- and Sesame Street, always quick to be on top of new trends, came out with this parody version as they do with so many things.

Here's a picture of Pat with Prairie Dawn.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Tv_sesame_street_pat_playjacks.jpg

And here's Sesame Encylopedia's listing for Pat
http://www.sesame-encyclopedia.com/Alphabet/SesameP/PatPlayjacks.html

and Velma
http://www.sesame-encyclopedia.com/Alphabet/SesameV/VelmaBlank.html

Barry Lee

Reaction score
It's a great one-time sketch. It features the Count and Prarie Dawn. He sounded like he was voiced by Jim Henson. But I prefer Guy Smiley better.

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember the contestants were Prairie Dawn and the Count. The object of the game was to spin the wheel and guess how many times the pig would squeal. Prairie first guessed 10 squeals, but the pig only made 5 and she lost. Then The Count guessed 3 squeals and the pig made exactly 3 squeals and The Count won and he got to choose a prize. The prizes were either a huge tank of fingerpaint, grapefruit goggles for protection against that morning squirt, or a life sized portrait of Pat Playjacks. The Count chose the pig so he can take it home and count the squeals forever.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Maybe that's why the sketch didn't last. They couldn't really count the pig's squals without the pig. Lol.

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
I remember Big Bird and Snuffy were playing this little piggy with Big Bird's toes. But the problem is Big Bird only had three toes on his left foot. Then Big Bird realized he has three more toes on his right foot. And Big Bird remarked that he has an extra piggy left over. And Snuffy asked Big Bird what is that piggy going to do. And Big Bird said "I know, This little Piggy was on "Squeal of Fortune"".

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
BTW. There was also another Wheel of Fortune parody on Sesame Street called "Dreidel of Fortune". It was hosted by Jeremy Miller (who we all known him as the star the hit TV sitcom: "Growing Pains"). LaVanna White was portrayed by Alison Bartlett (AKA Gina, I believe). Unfortunately, Nobody can guess the answer. But LaVanna White completed the puzzle: "A Great Miracle Happened Here". But since she works there, All of the contestants wins a prize. Dreidel of Fortune was introduced in 1990 (Possibly on Season 22 of Sesame Street).

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
That would be nice to see. I know about "Squeal" and I think if we looked hard enough, we may be able to find that on You Tube. I don't remember anything about "Dreidel" though, so if anyone has more info or videos on that, let me know.

BTW, to correct Gonzoleapers comment "Wheel" was on longer than 1986, The nighttime version started airing in 1983 and it started on daytime on 1975. Just wanted to share that bit of info.