Is Gonzo Being phased out?

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
He's still not being phased out. He was in the Puppy Bowl skit, and was in almost all the Toyota Highlander spots.

SkeetScootSquat

Reaction score
Lamangy has apoint, but if he is I will pull every single hair on my head out!!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
So Kermit must be being phased out since he only had two lines in the Toyota Highlander comercial.

However, this been a frequent thing with Gonzo lately. He's there in all the stuff, but he's not given much to do. Take a look at M11; the majority of his material was cut and he's got probably no more than 20 lines in the whole movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
M11 had the strange distinction of making Gonzo a brick joke. It's a shame that most of his other stuff was edited down to the bone, though.

I wouldn't so much say he's been phased out from that, since LTS was technically all about him.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
M11 had the strange distinction of making Gonzo a brick joke. It's a shame that most of his other stuff was edited down to the bone, though.

I wouldn't so much say he's been phased out from that, since LTS was technically all about him.
Same with MFS.

I concur with someone else's theory that Gonzo has been downplayed lately because he was so prominent in the 1990's and early 2000's (considering the size of his roles in MCC, MTI, MFS, LTS, Muppet Classic Theater, etc.) and that they're trying to re-establish Kermit and others as main characters as well, due to how underused they were in the 90's, especially in light of the deaths of Jim and Richard and Frank having one foot out the door.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
The fact that Zoot's been more chatty than Gonzo lately proves that Goelz is still on board.

There's an interview with Dave Goelz somewhere out there where he states his preference for the veterans to step back a little and let the new generation of performers and characters to carry on the tradition. That might be what he's doing. Gonzo's definitely around. Heck, Gonzo, Rizzo and Pepe carried the franchise in the 90's. I miss my Gonzo overload, but I'm really digging the increased Fozzie and Scooter inclusions.