The dark day of Valentines Day is upon us...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, as I said, no bah-humbugging for me this year. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Or the nicer more positive way to put it is this...

You do NOT have to buy an expensive gift nor an expensive dinner.

And frankly, I'm WAAAAAAAY too excited about buying all the candy on clearance to even feel the slightest amount bummed. I Mean... CANDY!!!! Also, means that Winter's almost over and the retailers will be full of cute and cuddly bunnies! Man, I LOVE Easter.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The cute and cuddly bunnies have already been out. :stick_out_tongue:

But, getting to Drtooth's first point, yep, that's true... in fact, here's the specific and cynical reasons why it's better not to buy expensive gifts or dinners...

1. If you buy a bouquet of flowers, they're just going to die a few days later anyway.
2. If you buy a box of chocolates, or take your loved one out to dinner, you're going to have to put up with the self-conscious, "Oh, why did I eat all that? I look so fat! Don't you think I look fat?" stuff.
3. If you buy stuffed animals, next thing you know, they'll end up in a box in the back of the closet.
4. You buy clothing or jewelry, it'll be "out of style" in a few months.

So yeah.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, as far as flowers go, if they're that special an adapt recipient can either press them or make them into Potpourri. But other than that, yeah.

Slightly on subject... it's kinda like buying Christmas ornaments as a Christmas present. It's completely obsolete for about a year. Though, in my case, greatly appreciated if it's a Hallmark one. I don't know what I'd do without my yearly gift of the Star Wars keepsake ornament. Eh... and of course the Muppet one.

But if there is one thing about Valentines Day that's sorely disappointing, it's more of an age thing for me. I miss getting those crappy little cardboard things with the cartoon characters on them. Those are fun. Forget the romance and love and all that, those little torn pieces of cardboard are where it's AT! I still manage to buy a couple boxes post Valentines. Kinda stinks they don't come with posters anymore.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
of an age thing for me. I miss getting those crappy little cardboard things with the cartoon characters on them. Those are fun. Forget the romance and love and all that, those little torn pieces of cardboard are where it's AT! I still manage to buy a couple boxes post Valentines. Kinda stinks they don't come with posters anymore.
I'll go along with you on that one, chief.

Particularly elementary school, when Valentine's Day was basically free day, since they wouldn't let us out on that holiday. And you'd make up those shoebox mailboxes with construction paper and stuff, and slip your Valentine's into everybody's mailboxes, and of course, there were the cupcakes and cookies and punch and crap.

I remember when those Cartoon Network Valentine's came out, I snatched a couple of boxes of those.

By middle school, however, Valentine's Day was exactly how Christmas was Charlie Brown was: "I know nobody likes me, why do we have to have a holiday to emphasize it?" Valentine's Day in middle school basically served as a reminder that you weren't popular... heck, I remember each year, the school showoff would get mobbed by almost every girl in school, and at the end of the day, he'd be going home with just about everything you can imagine getting for Valentine's Day.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I knew what that was going to be before I even clicked it. :stick_out_tongue: And even funnier, David Ogden Stiers ad-libbed that line!

Which, of course, brings to mind that rather interesting episode of M*A*S*H where Charles, curiously, falls for a business girl at Rosie's Bar... I really wonder why Charles would allow himself to associate himself with a such a woman. I remember he, at one point, tells Hawkeye and B.J. she's from one of Korea's wealthiest, aristocratic families... but if she comes from such a wealthy family, why would she have or want to prostitute herself? And why did Charles have such a hard time trying to class her up? Who was he trying to convince? Us (as in Hawk and Beej, as well as the audience) or himself?