Lips

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I consider him the 6th member of the Electric Mayhem despite he isn't always with them, especially in the movies. I wondered why he wasn't with the rest of the band in the last movie. Sometimes I wonder what the writers are thinking when they have him with the rest of the band and other times not with the band like in the Lady Gaga special.

My thing is if the powers at be are trying to bring him back in the spotlight, wouldn't Steve try to have some impact by letting him speak. It's just odd that he still doesn't say anything.

For example, in the Lady Gaga special when the band was asked what they were thankful for, he could have spoken up and said something like "I'm glad to be together with the rest of you because we rock together as a band" or something like that.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
My thing is if the powers at be are trying to bring him back in the spotlight, wouldn't Steve try to have some impact by letting him speak. It's just odd that he still doesn't say anything.

For example, in the Lady Gaga special when the band was asked what they were thankful for, he could have spoken up and said something like "I'm glad to be together with the rest of you because we rock together as a band" or something like that.
Well basically, Lips hasn't said much because Steve could never find a voice and without the voice it can be hard for him to grow as a character. That's why he is always in the background or as part of the crowd.

During the Muppet Show, Steve tried a Louie Armstrong kind of voice (which you can hear in 'Boogie in the Barnyard') but he didn't want to offend African Americans so he dropped that voice and now he has remain virtually silent since then.

However, according to Dave Goelz, Steve recently broke through the voice block and finally found THE voice while filming something. So hopefully we'll soon see what Steve has created for one of his oldest characters. It had to happen sometime!

I doubt that Lips will ever be more than a minor character, but we will be seeing more of him.

LipsGF4Life

Reaction score
I know Lips is a background character, but to everyone including me, he is a feature character to us all. Steve should've made him featured. I'm glad that he's in Muppets Most Wanted.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Well basically, Lips hasn't said much because Steve could never find a voice and without the voice it can be hard for him to grow as a character. That's why he is always in the background or as part of the crowd.

During the Muppet Show, Steve tried a Louie Armstrong kind of voice (which you can hear in 'Boogie in the Barnyard') but he didn't want to offend African Americans so he dropped that voice and now he has remain virtually silent since then.
Personally, I always thought Lips because of his voice could have been from the New Orleans area. That can help explain why he has that kind of voice. And quite honestly, I doubt anybody would get offended today about his voice.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
Lips should have a totally unfitting voice. Like, a toddler's level of pitch and can't pronounce anything right. And then when he gets mad, he turns into a heavy metal growler.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
However, according to Dave Goelz, Steve recently broke through the voice block and finally found THE voice while filming something. So hopefully we'll soon see what Steve has created for one of his oldest characters. It had to happen sometime!
You have no idea how happy this news make me! :big_grin:

TwoHeadedLlama

Reaction score
So I was just informed by a tumblr friend that

SPOILERS BELOW: PLEASE HIGHLIGHT

Lips does no have a solo speaking line in the film. Which means that either it was cut or the thing that was recorded in January wasn't part of the film. So it's still a mystery.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
Darn, that's disappointing. Still, I like to keep hope.

One day. One day...