Feedback on puppet camera test.

Peter Haynes

Reaction score
Hi all, would I be able to get some eyes cast over this camera test, from a puppet design / costume / motion point of view? Cheers :smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I like it. The details on the costume and the hair are really good. I like designs with layers to them with separate pieces that can move with the puppet. I think that really help to sell the illusion that the character is alive.

This is a subjective comment, but I would lower the camera and adjust the framing slightly so that the lines created by the fence converge at the puppet. It's like 90% of the way towards a beautifully framed shot.

Puppetry-wise, I would watch the height of the hand because a real person probably wouldn't hold their hand so high. A good rule of thumb is that a puppet's hands should never be higher than their elbow unless there is a specific reason for it. This is a really common puppetry problem. Sometimes it's because the arms are too high and sometimes it's because the puppet itself isn't being held high enough.

Rymoore21

Reaction score
I agree with Buck. Very nicely done but that height problem is very common. Be sure that your arm isn't stretched outward. Try to keep it above your head within your center of gravity. Relax the arm. If you are down on the ground for the outdoor shots, try to find something with wheels that you can sit on and have someone pull you while adding a little bounce to the puppet to give the illusion of walking. I love the attention you paid to moving the cane along as he walks. Great puppet!