Why do the "New" Muppets look so off?

wembleyfraggle

Reaction score
My examples are Gonzo and Fozzie. They look so off! I miss the classic look. Gonzo nose is fatter and shorter looking and Fozzie looks like a stuffed animal. Like bigger rounder head. I miss the old look of them. The rest are great!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, for one thing, we're probably so used to the older puppets, since new material (up till the movie at least) was few and far between, and our only exposure of Muppets was in the form of watching old tapes or DVDs of the movies, TMS, or other Muppety goodness. New puppets always take time to get used to, like a new haircut or something.

Another factor could be the fact that the Muppets aren't even built by the Creature Shop anymore, they're the work of a company called Puppet Heap.

Beau and I have to admit, we do find the newer puppets do look just a little too perfect... too clean, too symmetrical, too rounded... they haven't really had time to age a little yet.

Hartley

Reaction score
What on earth is that Fozzie from?? It's hideous!! It looks worse than the Muppet Show season one Fozzie with the freaky smiling and frowning mouth. Are you sure it's not a fan-made Fozzie or something? He certainly doesn't look like that in the trailer for the new movie!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I think that is one of the only real upsetting things about Disney owning the Muppets. The fact that Henson does not even build the Muppets anymore. Even with Sesame Workshop Henson still helps build and work with the Muppets. I mean I'm glad for Puppet Heap, but could they really try a little better with Gonzo?

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know why I don't take these complaints about Puppet Heap seriously?

Homunculus Zoe happened. Homunculus Zoe is far uglier than "We ran out of the fur used to make Fozzie and can't be bothered to kit bash what we have to make it look like it" and "Gonzo with a Muppet Babies nose." And we suffered her for a whole season. And she's STILL in the theme song. Ladies and Gentlemen, the UGLIEST form of a Muppet ever. And SW was to blame for that.

toadster101

Reaction score
Gonzo is fine, but Fozzie looks completely lifeless, and his nose is too small. I don't know what the **** happened.

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
Ugh, I'm getting sick of reading the same tired complaints about the new Fozzie and Gonzo puppets. Yes, Gonzo looks too clunky... but really, this has been coming up almost every other day now.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm not really too bothered by the new Fozzie and Gonzo designs either. I don't notice much of a difference unless I look hard enough. I can easily see the rounder head and shaggier fur in the new Foz, and that's about it.

But yes, I agree with the move beyond design perfection in the '80s to overperfection. It could be due to different building techniques, different companies building them, or just overall preference of the builders.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
To be honest, unless you squint, I can't really tell much difference. Both puppets still have their own charm from the other Henson ones and, unless the new puppets' designs make it too difficult for the puppeteer to perform, I think they're fine.