Elmo Puppet Replica by Derek Thompson

stephen murrell

Reaction score
he looks fab and i love looking thought your process pics realy helps with planning my own at some point after i finish beaker, gonzo, the fraggles and the list keeps growing lol.:laugh:

As for posting your pics this is what i do:
where ever you have your phtos stored on the web i right click over the image then click view image info from the little list. then next to were it says location: highlight and copy that into your image box that your trying to upload the pics on and that should work. ;-)

Kind regards
Steve

Derek Thompson

Reaction score
Stephen,
Thank you. I knew it was something simple thatI was missing. I will try it tonight.
BTW, You said your working on Gonzo? That is my next project. any ideas or tips? I got a few leads on eye size and construction. Any ideas on prefered mouth plate material for him? Gasket material? I am heading down to the garment district to find the best fur I can. There has to be some benefits to living not too far from LA. Also the biggest piece of foam I can find in reticulated is 4 inches thick. Im not sure that is thick enough to get his full skull or even just the top. any thoughts wuld be appreciated. DT again Thanks for you your help and kind words.

stephen murrell

Reaction score
Ive not started gonzo yet i have the fur ready and his eyes a5omm two part clear bauble that i shall paint up Mupetlab was kind enough to give me a few tips and pointers on how he has done his. Im new to puppet making myself and so far have made a Kermit replica and a Boober fraggle. I haven't added any pics of Boober here as he has some orange fur for hair and im waiting on some orange ostrich feathers so can make his hair properly. The only pics i have of him are on my face book pages along with all my other artsy crafty models and monster replicas lol. Im trying to work on a beaker at the mo his head is done but need to work out the rest of him as i want to make him a full beaker puppet with legs and everything as my son requested a proper beaker he said it wont look right only half of him lol.

as for gonzo i want to try and make the moving eye mech so his lids will go back to give that surprised look just like the real one. got a few ideas from things found on line.
I just cant start him yet though as i cant find anything anywhere thick enough to cut a head from. The places i have seen foam of any type that will be thick enough is just far too expensive in my opinion so gonzo is on hold till i can find somthing from somewhere to make his head with. The plan will be to cut out a ruf head shape then trim it down to give it a smoother look. I will hollow out the inside for my hand to fit. i will then probably try and glue a small mouth plate inside to just give it a bit more strength as i think just sponge foam may not be thick enough (but wont know till Ive made a head lol)

I think getting the head cut will be the main thing with gonzo once that is done the rest shouldn't be too hard to make.

Then i will just need to decide what out fit i want him to wear and make all his clothing lol

Kind regards
Steve:concern:

Derek Thompson

Reaction score
Here is his profile. I want to go back and matt up his face fur a bit more like the real one.
You can see that I barely stuck down his pupils because I was till working on eye focus. I used the sticky felt circles that someone here suggested. I found a pack of them in various sizes at Home depot

stephen murrell

Reaction score
Yay glad you finally worked out how to add the pics :smile:
Your Elmo looks fab ;-)
Kind regards
Steve

Derek Thompson

Reaction score
My wife, baby and I are going to the El Capitan with Elmo for the opening night of Muppets Most Wanted. A bunch of my friends from Disney Feature are going and They said a bunch of people are bringing their puppets. I know that People from Puppet school are going to the movie with their puppets. Should be a good time.