Europe says US-Made cheeses can't use Old World names

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/03/12/europe-says-us-made-cheeses-cant-use-old-world-names/
found this article on Facebook, ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDIN ME?, so, let me get this straight, parmesan cheese CAN'T BE MADE IN EUROPE NOW!?!?, man, this is ridiculous, and coming from Europe, I'm surprised at, but then again, really, everyone's full of at least a few idiots, and THIS GUY happens to be one of them, and also, the same is going feta and gorgonzola, yeah, while I'm only a fan of Parmesan, THIS SUCKS FOR EUROPE.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I read the article myself, and I believe you got your facts mixed up.

Cheese isn't not going to be made in Europe anymore: apparently, Europe-originated cheeses that are produced in the U.S. will be banned from using their original names for not being "authentic" enough... so if parmesan, feta, gorgonzola, edam, what have you, are American-made, they can't uses those names anymore.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's almost kind of like how were supposed to not call french fries french fries anymore, as it was offensive to, well, the French.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Considering where the source is, sounds like something to outrage old people... but the truth is this.

We suck at cheese. We make bars of sort of like Swiss Cheese for sandwiches, that's about it. It's not the real thing, and never has been. The real stuff is far too expensive and has to be imported. And if you can afford that, good for you.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Apparently, this sort of thing has already been going on in other places such as Canada, where the foreign cheeses often end in "-like" or "-style".

The whole argument reeks of stereotypical European snootiness to me. I don't think these proposals will get very far.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The whole argument reeks of stereotypical European snootiness to me. I don't think these proposals will get very far.
Considering the source of the news here...

But I get that certain "in the style of" cheeses aren't authentic, and it does cheapen the cheese's name recognition. Do they even call it Swiss Cheese in Switzerland? Anyone know what they call it? I think I remember it went by another name, but I must've forgot it.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Considering the source of the news here...

But I get that certain "in the style of" cheeses aren't authentic, and it does cheapen the cheese's name recognition. Do they even call it Swiss Cheese in Switzerland? Anyone know what they call it? I think I remember it went by another name, but I must've forgot it.
I think it's called Emmental or something.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I love cheese, but Swiss Cheese is gross. I'm just gonna put that out there.