When you need to RAVE!

cjd874

Reaction score
I am so glad for all the opportunities I've had this year in school: I'm getting to meet new people and getting to know old friends a little better. I've earned improved grades, and committing to my academics much more. And I'm performing more music than I did last year, which helps me become a better musician and a better person.
Plus, I'm still trying my hardest to get tickets to one of Billy Joel's upcoming franchise shows at Madison Square Garden. Every time I see the published set lists online, I'm like "Wow…he did THAT one? And THAT one?" and my head bursts out of sheer happiness. He's said many times that he hates doing just hits and wants to do more obscure songs like "All for Leyna" and "Where's the Orchestra" alongside "Piano Man" and "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant." (If my obsession with the Piano Man isn't evident yet...)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Since I'm growing old and love the cold, I'll probably need to spend my golden years in Grouchland.

I seriously didn't know what thread to post this in.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have to say, I'm really satisfied with what Nick's done lately in terms of letting two very prolific independent companies bring their work to newer generations of fans - and actually letting them own and control what they create to boot.

I'm refering, of course, to Sid & Marty Krofft with their new co-production with Cesar Millan: MUTT & STUFF; and Bagdasarian Productions with ALVINNN!!! AND THE CHIPMUNKS.

The reason I find this so surprising is that in this day and age, it's near impossible for independents, like the Kroffts or the Bagdasarian clan, to achieve any kind of mainstream success without any form of corporate influence - let alone maintain ownership and control over their work. I mean, heck, I heard that Joe Murray was trying to buy the rights to ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE at one point because Nick didn't seem to be doing anything with it, and he knew fans were wanting legit DVDs and not bootlegs. I'm surprised that Nick of all entities (considering they're a property of Viacom, one of the biggest corporate bullies in entertainment) would turn out to be the outlet where two celebrated independent companies that have been around for decades are able to put out new work for new audiences and gain new fans in the process. And as I've said in another thread, ALVINNN!!! AND THE CHIPMUNKS definitely does a much better job at maintain the characters' personalities and interactions as well as the franchise's overall writing style and brand of humor (something the CGI/live action movies from 20th Century Fox severely lack) - these are more like the Chipmunks and Chipettes I once knew. MUTT & STUFF? Well, I give the Kroffts A for effort - it feels more like a Barney-esque type of show than it does their older work from the 70s, but at least they're still alive and still creating new projects.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The new Chipmunks series owes its success to the Bagdasarians having complete creative control over it, and having the show produced a while ago for the international market, rather than partnering up with a major network. While that did stunt the show's American availability (certain cable companies treat outsider cartoons shabbily), it wound up working for the show better overall. Whereas the Fox movies are mostly up to Fox, with them having little creative control. That's why the munks are celebrity voice actors that you can't even recognize since they're sped up too much.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
At last!!! Obama's finally making headway with stricter gun laws - whether the Repbs like it or not. Hopefully we can finally have fewer mass shootings in this country.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Finally got the gund Big Bird & Oscar. Hopefully I can buy the Caroll Spinney story DVD at Barns & Noble online.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So if D'ump wins the election and becomes our new president, Nova Scotia is opening up an island to allow American immigrants in if they choose to flee the country.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I love that everybody is coming to John Goodman's support after he apparently upset Kristen Wiig at a party.

Apparently, John's a big fan of hers and when he had the chance to interact with her at a party, he let his inner fanboy out, and that apparently upset her because he apparently interrupted her as she was mingling with other people . . . now his feelings are hurt over the matter and he's saying he should have known better than to try to talk to a "big A-lister" like her. Now, everybody's coming to his defense and reminding him that he was a big A-lister a one point himself, and are basically dismissing Kristen as being more of a flavor-of-the-month celebrity than a true A-lister.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
Great thread idea!

Yeah I have to confess when I was a kid, B&W shows did bore me a bit (I did get over that eventually, hehe). But I watched the Dennis the Menace cartoon all the time. I still remember random bits of episodes. Though my favorite Dennis the Menace anything was this weird TV movie where he finds a dinosaur bone. Does anyone remember that?
I do , and I thought it was ok.