Pixar announces Incredibles sequel and Cars 3

Drtooth

Reaction score
For a Cars third movie to win back over critics, they need a stronger concept than 90 minute Saturday Morning Cartoon style plot. Now, I liked the second film and it had more heart than it needed to, but the film clearly was intended for younger audiences and spoke directly to them. Well, for the most part. The whole big oil trying to destroy the aspect of alternate fuels conspiracy was a nice touch, though they kinda made it more about insider automotive humor than a political point (pundits whined about it regardless). But other than that, they basically expanded a concept that would have worked for a short cartoon. They need to step up with the third one. I'm sure they learned from that one.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
What? It isn't extremely obvious they were going to make a third one? The second they announced 2, I was expecting to hear the announcement for 4, 5, and 6!

Hopefully, the plot for this next one will be more down to Earth. The spy thing feels like it was a Mater short for the Disney Channel that they decided to turn into a movie. At least it was visually stunning. The first film spent so much time in that muddy middle of nowhere. The around the world concept at least led to some
Cars 3 = why?
Drtooth already said it... $$$.

*Still hopes for Día de Los Muertos in 2016.
background scenery. Especially in Italy. For that reason and that reason alone, I like the second over the first.
Yes you both have a point....., but Pixar is pushing their luck....heck I'd almost rather have a Brave 2, and oh I have to shut up right now....

Drtooth

Reaction score
If you're like me and wondering where Frozone's gonna be, you're not alone... Samuel L Jackson is wondering too

Seems that he probably does have a spot, and it won't be The Incredibles without him.

I'd say that Frozone deserves his own spinoff project.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
No Frozone? What...will they pull a Bo Peep and leave him out and only mention he's gone?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Nah, it's clear they have some part with him in there. We just don't know what yet, as it's still in developmental stages. Fans of the original (and Samuel himself) would be mondo cheesed off if he didn't appear.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So, plot details have came in from Cars 3, and it looks like the plot Cars 2 should have had in the first place. No Saturday Morning Cartoon spinoff plotline, but something germane to Lightning's growth as a character.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
For some reason, that actually made me a little excited for the next movie, which is odd because I didn't really care for either of the previous films, especially disliked the second one. I'm really hoping that this is the first Cars movie that I actually like.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I do like Cars, I only really slightly like the second one because it was a better looking film. They spent a lot of time in that dusty old town in the first film, where as they had some great architecture and scenery because of the world tour story.

And frankly, I don't mind the fact Pixar made a movie that plays to kids. They don't have to do Up, Inside Out, and Toy Story 3 all the time, and it really feels that everyone's forgot about A Bug's Life, which up until Cars was their kiddiest film. Cars 2 was a bit more cynical than most, but that's pretty much a perspective based observation. A personal worst, but compared to other studios, it's still pretty good a kid's movie and Ice Age films are more audience insulting (at least half the fourth one was). It's nice to come out of a Pixar movie not streaming tears, actually, especially how dehydrated TS3's impossibly beautiful ending got me. Grown *^^ man in a Mr. Potatohead shirt all crying... I really wish I paid the extra couple bucks and saw Cars 2 in 3-D, since that's what the movie was good for.

Other than that, Cars had a lot more heart and soul than C2 did, and this film seems to be reclaiming that. Not that I didn't have mild feels for Mater feeling left out and only seen as a goof, but that seems like something they put in to make it less like a cartoon episode and more like a Pixar film.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The first Cars movie definitely had a good amount of heart to it even though it pretty much ripped off the plot of Doc Hollywood, and at least Cars 2 should be commended for being more of its own thing. The 3rd entry, on the other hand, sounds like what the 2nd one should have been, feeling more grounded in reality rather than a crazy pilot to a TV show.

While I do like Cars, I only really slightly like the second one because it was a better looking film. They spent a lot of time in that dusty old town in the first film, where as they had some great architecture and scenery because of the world tour story.
With Cars 3 going back to familiar territory, hopefully we'll still get some better visuals out of Radiator Springs now that it's a more economically healthy town.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
A Bug's Life their kiddiest film? If you consider it's the only one that kind of derived from the Disney formula of turning fairytales and the like into blockbuster animated movies, given that it's a take on the old fable of The Ant and The Grasshopper. *Still laugh at the grasshopper who drove away in his Winnebago while the ant got stepped on. *Insert Monty Python's "It's..."
:attitude: Will you stop that!
:sleep: Why are they picking on us tonight?

Also, Bug's Life is now the only hold-out from Pixar's original five movies not to receive a sequel/second film of any sort. Unless you count their cameo in the outtakes at the end of TS2.

Kind of surprised Pixar pulled a switch so that Cars 3 will be next year's summer release instead of TS4. Meh, I'm in line for Coco next November anyway.