Why can't Sesame cameo In Muppets Most Wanted?

beaker

Reaction score
I still don't get it...it's almost like when Germany was divided into East and West Germany. Why can't Sesame Street characters cameo in new Muppet films? For all this talk of "bringing the Muppet films back to the old school", there missing one of the most charming fun aspects: SESAME CAMEOS. Big Bird's cameo in TMM is one of my favorite scenes ever.

Just read this article, and I agree it does seem like Disney and Sesame have made a few exceptions in recent years(the Carnegie Hall celebration of Jim Henson which I attended in New York, as well as Kermit in some newer Sesame episodes. And of course, the Sesame Kermit reporter clip Constantine studies in MMW) So if they can have a Sesame news reporter Kermit clip in MMW, why not have Bert and Ernie? Would it really hurt either brand?

http://themuppetmindset.blogspot.com/2014/03/muppetology-101-advanced-property.html

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, it would cost money to use the other companies characters. I don't know whether Sesame Workshop would charge Disney more for use of any of its characters than it did for a clip. But also, Disney doesn't want to confuse the marketplace when it comes to who belongs to who (which was one of the reasons why Disney originally turned down permission for Kermit to be on the Silly Storytime cover).

It's been reported a number of times that the writers of The Muppets wanted to include a cameo by Elmo but Disney rejected the idea. I haven't read anything about whether they tried to get permission from Sesame Workshop.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I still don't get it...it's almost like when Germany was divided into East and West Germany. Why can't Sesame Street characters cameo in new Muppet films? For all this talk of "bringing the Muppet films back to the old school", there missing one of the most charming fun aspects: SESAME CAMEOS. Big Bird's cameo in TMM is one of my favorite scenes ever.

Just read this article, and I agree it does seem like Disney and Sesame have made a few exceptions in recent years(the Carnegie Hall celebration of Jim Henson which I attended in New York, as well as Kermit in some newer Sesame episodes. And of course, the Sesame Kermit reporter clip Constantine studies in MMW) So if they can have a Sesame news reporter Kermit clip in MMW, why not have Bert and Ernie? Would it really hurt either brand?

http://themuppetmindset.blogspot.com/2014/03/muppetology-101-advanced-property.html
Well, for starters it is really expense to have say the count appear for 4 seconds in MMW or whoever. Second, we don't want the new generation of muppet fans getting the wrong idea. If some 11 year old goes and plops MMW in their DVD player and sees Elmo, they'll think the muppets were meant for 4 year olds.

beaker

Reaction score
So uh...did us older folks who saw Muppet Movie and Muppets Take Manhattan or the 1987 special Muppet Family Christmas get confused when we saw Sesame characters in Muppet productions?

Slackbot

Reaction score
Why on earth would Disney pay to bring non-Disney puppets into their Disney production? Unless there's a compelling reason (see Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Wreck-It Ralph) they'll use characters they own and can merchandise the bejeezus out of.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd honestly rather they have made a deal with Henson to have a Fraggle in there.

But last go around, SW wanted too much for Elmo to appear. At least we get a clip of the show this time. Besides, we haven't had a Sesame Street cameo since MTM (unless you count the front stoop of 123 Sesame St. in MFS). MTI and MCC have no excuse, since Henson still owned the Sesame Street characters that time.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
That's a good point. I never thought of that, but all the Henson movies did have at least a cameo by one or two SS characters, the post-Henson movies didn't even though Henson's company still owned the characters. The closest they came was using Ernie's rubber duckie in MFS.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
That's a good point. I never thought of that, but all the Henson movies did have at least a cameo by one or two SS characters, the post-Henson movies didn't even though Henson's company still owned the characters. The closest they came was using Ernie's rubber duckie in MFS.
I know, right, I've thought of that forever. This is what should have happened in the muppet labs scene.
Kermit: Uh Dr. Honeydew
Bunsen: Yes, Mr. Kermit.
Kermit: Where'd you get the rubber duck?
Bunsen: Oh, I forget, I think it was from somewhere called Se Same Street
(Flashback) ( Ernie's in his bathtub ringing "Rubber Duckie")​
( Beaker falls from the sky into his tub grabs the duck and runs)​
Ernie: Hey, you stole myrubber duckie!​
Beaker: Meep-meep-meep-mOOp​

Muppet Master

Reaction score
So uh...did us older folks who saw Muppet Movie and Muppets Take Manhattan or the 1987 special Muppet Family Christmas get confused when we saw Sesame characters in Muppet productions?
Those were different times, the muppets were the biggest thing on Earth, and it didn't matter. Now there's stuff like Family Guy and South Park, and the new generation wants that type of humor like MWoO which is real sad. Heck, the only way I could get my friends to like the muppets was by telling them there was something called 'The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I hate to break it to you it wasn't Ernie's duck it was this duck

I should know I am a collector of rubber ducks.