Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Europeans definitely seem overall smarter than Americans(and I'm American!), and The Muppets appeals to smart people...while I hate to say, increasingly Pixar(and especially Dreamworks and all other cg cartoon companies) seem to be appealing to the more not so discerning masses. The 2011 plot of society not caring about the Muppets in a way was a harsh reflection of how much things have changed since the time of Jim Henson.
They even get more merchandise then we do! And it's mostly better then ours! I guess cause I'm biased and old fashion but don't get me wrong I love Pixar films, and Disney classics but as Kermit said can you meet any of those? Can you have a conversation or shake their hands? With the Muppets you can actually do those things. You can have that conversation with Kermit! I know they won't ever be in the glory that they were in the 1970's-1980's I just want them to last for at least a few more years. My baby girl is only 7 months old but to show her Kermit singing "Rainbow Connection" and it actually gets her attention well what more do you need? I should've went up and shook the parents or what few that were there Friday just to say thank you for picking MMW over Peabody.

TimmyMonsterIL

Reaction score
Anyone know if the $4.66 million counts Thursday numbers? I know here where I live, the movie opened with 2 showings Thursday evening. That may also boost numbers.

beaker

Reaction score
They even get more merchandise then we do! And it's mostly better then ours! I guess cause I'm biased and old fashion but don't get me wrong I love Pixar films, and Disney classics but as Kermit said can you meet any of those? Can you have a conversation or shake their hands? With the Muppets you can actually do those things. You can have that conversation with Kermit! I know they won't ever be in the glory that they were in the 1970's-1980's I just want them to last for at least a few more years. My baby girl is only 7 months old but to show her Kermit singing "Rainbow Connection" and it actually gets her attention well what more do you need? I should've went up and shook the parents or what few that were there Friday just to say thank you for picking MMW over Peabody.
I KNOW THE FEELING! Oh man, just seeing that there was a couple rows of families with kids at a 2:45 PM opening day showing of a new Muppet film made me happy. I think I was the only one laughing throughout the whole film, but it was great hearing little kid's voices now and then exclaiming joy at certain parts. But yeah I feel like every person who chooses to see MMW is a special person. I feel like, despite the biggest money machine in the industry behind it(Disney), The Muppets are treated like the kid who is picked last for school.

Seems like My Little Pony is way more popular.

And as someone who has literally met, talked and shook hands with real Muppets and their performers at various events/book signings, etc. I agree! A teenager in a Mickey suit at Disneyland just doesn't have a thousandth that wait. (btw, Oscar IRL is super nice...so unlike his Sesame counterpart)

Here's something...Sesame Street is extremely healthy and isn't going anywhere.
The Muppets have the full support and weight of Disney behind them. It's a good time as we approach SIXTY YEARS of Muppets.

Just wish the people who started it all, Jim Henson Company, were doing better. We need a full Fraggly return OR something new from JHC that will blow our minds

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I totally agree and check this out this Kermit quote from an interview he did a few days ago for a radio station.

Despite having a “human in his throat,” Kermit also sang for News & Notes hosts Julia Cunningham and Mario Correa, regaling them with the wrap-up line from “Rainbow Connection.” And speaking of Kermit’s classic hit, he is still a bit put out that he lost out on winning the Oscar for “Rainbow Connection” to Norma Rae’s “It Goes Like It Goes.”

“What is that?” said Kermit of the 1979 Best Original Song winner. “I mean, I remember Norma Rae, barely, but ‘It Goes Like It Goes’? What a lame title!”

goldenstate5

Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2014/03/div...wanted/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Muppets Most Wanted will wind up with $17 million this weekend. For the record, this is $3 million less than analysts were saying at the start of number estimates yesterday, and a full $8 million less than the Thursday tracking numbers. It is on par with BoxOffice.com's long-range forecast, which predicted a $17 mil OW and a $45 mil total domestic gross. This is what I would expect. That's just about half of the domestic gross of 2011's "The Muppets".

For the foreign gross to be truly successful for MMW, it needs to double the domestic gross. So pray for a $90 million foreign take, I guess.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
Lets just hope the numbers go up when it opens across the land or else we may have all of the beautiful characters rebuilt for both TM11 and MMW put back in boxes on shelfs in the obscurity of Disney just like back in 2007 or 2008.... and only see Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Animal and Beaker!

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Lets just hope the numbers go up when it opens across the land or else we may have all of the beautiful characters rebuilt for both TM11 and MMW put back in boxes on shelfs in the obscurity of Disney just like back in 2007 or 2008.... and only see Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Animal and Beaker!
Don't worry, as far as Australia goes, MMW is a shoe-in! There has been so much talk about it over here and those lucky enough to see an advanced screening couldn't find a fault! You know I'll be doing my part. Already bought the Soundtrack and I'm dragging as many of my friends along as I can. Sure, Divergent may be an issue since its opening on the same day, but I have faith in this film. Who knows, it might just be having a slow start!

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Told ya their loved more abroad then domestically. Hate to sound like a broken record but I can definitely tell fans outside of America get more excited about Muppets.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I'm sad to hear that MMW isn't pulling in more viewers. But, as has been said, there's a lot of competition for this market on the screens right now. Stoopid other movies horning in on our territory!

My father and I went to a 9:00 screening last night, and it was sold out, mostly adults. And, heh, we accidentally helped to inflate ticket sales. My father bought the tickets online for one theater, and he went to another AMC theater. The addresses were confusing, to be fair. Rather than go to the other theater, he decided he didn't want to drive and rush around, so we saw it where we were.