Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't compliment fans who kept flocking to the prequels. I knew people like that and even they admit it was desperate fan worship. They admit now it would have been better to let them bomb. They didn't deserve the money or attention.

I'm not saying MMW is Phantom Menace. But I certainly understand the hesitation. From the previews I've seen, the sequel song seems catchy. But the Kermit lines didn't feel in character. It felt like fan fiction. And some fans just don't respond to the tame aesthetic of movies today. They have the right not to compromise.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
According to BoxOffice.com, Muppets Most Wanted got $1.421 Million, and since it's a Tuesday, this is not good, usually when say, an animated flick for example would be out that same week, it would get two million, at least Disney is still relying on the flick, hopefully the flick will do the better worldwide, anyways, here's the link.
http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/bo_numbers/daily/2014-03-26

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Everything increased, which means it's spring break for more people than I thought initially. Still, it's concerning that Peabody actually had a higher increase than Muppets. And it's absolutely embarrassing that it's going to take til the six day mark to hit 20 million.

Disney of course is clinging to the worldwide totals, because again this is who they really made the movie for. I'd start getting extremely nervous if it bombs overseas.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I don't know why I torment myself and read comments from people on YouTube. They just drive me to almost wanna drink! ><

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm not saying MMW is Phantom Menace. But I certainly understand the hesitation. From the previews I've seen, the sequel song seems catchy. But the Kermit lines didn't feel in character. It felt like fan fiction. And some fans just don't respond to the tame aesthetic of movies today. They have the right not to compromise.
They have the right to be stubborn, nostalgiaholics, sure.

They do not however, have the right to whine that the franchise is dead and that we won't see so much as a t-shirt if this falls by the wayside. If they don't support it because of the fear of being mildly disappointed and being so clingy to 10 lousy bucks (which can buy like almost 7 candy bars, or a hamburger) that they made up their mind to hate the film, then they have no ones to blame but themselves when they don't release the rest of the TV series, any merchandising, and incur the wrath of other Muppet fans that wanted this movie to succeed. What's to gain from making a stand to hate something? At least if you see it you have the right to complain about it. Fair and simple.

And frankly, yes. I will hold that against the sheeple who base their movie going decisions on a minority of clumsily written, unreasearched reviews. I'd honestly rather the movie fails because no one cares about the Muppets than smug elitism and nostalgia induced seclusion. And hey. Guess what? If they don't make any more slightly disappointing Muppet films, they'll just make a hundred more talking dog films that no one likes in their place.

But hey! At least we still have those fuzzy, rapidly deteriorating SLP dubbed VHS to watch eternally.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Are the people who cite Citizen Kane or Casablanca as the top movies of all time "nostalgiaholics?" Or do they simply appreciate good work that has stood the passage of time? Perhaps the flavor of the month doesn't impress them until it's proven itself. Seems reasonable to me.

And it still feels like fans are being told, "If you want your precious Jim Henson movies, you MUST love movies he had nothing to do with! Stop complaining or you'll get nothing!"

Um yeah, I can't imagine why fans would feel turned off, lol.

Maybe the franchise was dying all this time because the new movies just weren't that good. To put any of the blame of Jim's work is totally bizarre.

beaker

Reaction score
Just hard for me to believe that a staunch, dyed in the wool "Henson era only" Muppet fan literally can't find something modern to like. There's endless hours of new online Muppet shorts, appearances, commercials, etc. I still watch the 2008 Muppets.com shorts and just love the writing on those. Obviously I can't stand the Muppets appearances on Disney channel or WWE wrestling or that stuff, but those aren't meant for my entertainment.

I mean shoot, I'll say it...as much as I too love the classic era, a lot of it even as a kid bored me. Though I will say the heart often was there.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Are the people who cite Citizen Kane or Casablanca as the top movies of all time "nostalgiaholics?" Or do they simply appreciate good work that has stood the passage of time? Perhaps the flavor of the month doesn't impress them until it's proven itself. Seems reasonable to me.

And it still feels like fans are being told, "If you want your precious Jim Henson movies, you MUST love movies he had nothing to do with! Stop complaining or you'll get nothing!"

Um yeah, I can't imagine why fans would feel turned off, lol.

Maybe the franchise was dying all this time because the new movies just weren't that good. To put any of the blame of Jim's work is totally bizarre.

Nobody is saying that, but like I said it's a self-fulfilling prophecy to write anything off post-1990.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The only prophecy I've experienced is that I get to watch Jim Henson's movies. :smile:

And seriously, Muppets2011 tried to bring things into the modern era. And what's apparently happened? People complained when the modern (Segal) was taken away. That's what happens when modern is your priority.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I mean shoot, I'll say it...as much as I too love the classic era, a lot of it even as a kid bored me. Though I will say the heart often was there.
Well there you go, nothing about it ever bored me, except maybe Dark Crystal, hehe. Again, its not about time, it's just personal taste.