Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge Episode 1: What Lies Beneath

King Rupert

Reaction score
I am not sure I saw a thread anywhere for this.

Jim Hensons Creature Shop Challenge premiers tomorrow night on Syfy.
The show is airing after Face/Off which I have watched religiously since it's first episode, and it looks to basically follow in it's footsteps.

Face/Off is a special effects make-up challenge where each week the contestants have a specific project they have to create for, they've done Tim Burton, Dr. Suess, Rohl Dahl, Video Games, Robots, Monsters everything you can dream up and typically each episode has a special guest judge that ties directly into that challenge.

Creature Shop Challenge looks to be in the same mold, with Brian Henson at the helm. Brian is hosting the show so I am not sure how closely he'll be working with the contestants, but it looks to be 12 or show aspiring creators competing for a job at the Henson Creature shop.

The show airs Tuesday nights on Syfy at 10PM.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Saw the premiere episode. At least one of the contestants recognized Gigi Edgley, their host, from her time on Farscape.

The ten competitors were put into teams of two each and they had to create undiscovered sea creatures with an appearance of realism.

The winning team was this duo that created a menacing devil prawn. *Sends it to hunt down all those sea minkeys on the ocean floor.

Another team came up with a scuttleslurp crustacean type creature and there was a shellrock that needed more work.

The bottom teams were this group that made a fishlike thing and the losing team with their "Floyd" underwater HR Puffenstuff thing. Yeah, I can't explain it any better than that, and I'm visually challenged myself so I don't understand the concept any better than you might after reading this.

It's an interesting program, especially following up after Faceoff. Looking forward to what inspiration future episodes might bring us. :jim:

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I thought it was an interesting show. It still amazes me how much Brian looks like his father, he even sounds like him at times! You really see how these kinds of creatures are designed and put together by a team of people in a shorter period of time that it normally would take. Of course, you get people that gel well together as I saw tonight, but I like it overall. I'll keep watching.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I watched the show last night. It was good. Though I felt it was a bit hard to watch Brian Henson tell one team (even though that team wasn't kicked off yet) that their teamwork was appalling. Maybe it's just because I don't think I've ever seen Brian Henson provide criticism (it wouldn't have felt that odd if it was Frank Oz or Richard Hunt).

King Rupert

Reaction score
I watched the show last night. It was good. Though I felt it was a bit hard to watch Brian Henson tell one team (even though that team wasn't kicked off yet) that their teamwork was appalling. Maybe it's just because I don't think I've ever seen Brian Henson provide criticism (it wouldn't have felt that odd if it was Frank Oz or Richard Hunt).
It makes sense when you think that the prize is to work in his shop. It's not like you're winning money and going on your way, you're being welcomed into a team environment so why not call it out now?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Not to mention that Brian was right... Tina and Rus were the worst working team out of all five pairings.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yeah, I watched it, but didn't pay enough attention to whether the teams were good or bad (maybe if I watched it again, I might see how bad it was.... Or I could think it wasn't that bad). I was more interested in the stuff in the creature shop, the interview portions, the clips from various creature shop productions (it's too bad they couldn't include any clips from Dinosaurs, but it was cool to briefly see Baby Sinclair at the shop).

ploobis

Reaction score
Not to mention that Brian was right... Tina and Rus were the worst working team out of all five pairings.
You're absolutely right! it takes Good Teamwork to create a Great Creature or Muppet!

I really enjoyed the series premiere! I can't wait to see next week's episode! :jim: :scary: