Rumor: New Sesame Street Movie in the Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere, long ago when it was either declared a rumor or canceled film, that production halted due to Jerry Nelson's death and Kevin Clash's departure, but I doubt those factors would have had an effect on the movie. After all, Matt Vogel had been trained to take over Jerry's characters and has done a great job as The Count (and the only other Jerry Nelson character who has heavily been used in recent years was Mr. Johnson), and Ryan Dillon has also proven himself well as Elmo so far.

Drtooth

Reaction score
No... the truth is that SW wasn't contacted about even making a Sesame Street movie and it was, at most, idle gossip. The facts stand as thus.

Sesame Street is a series that's massively popular around the world, and has been on 45 years. Follow that Bird and Elmo in Grouchland didn't make so much at the box office. 2 movies in a 45 year span failed to be box office hits. Why make a movie when the TV show is infinitely more successful?

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
No... the truth is that SW wasn't contacted about even making a Sesame Street movie and it was, at most, idle gossip. The facts stand as thus.

Sesame Street is a series that's massively popular around the world, and has been on 45 years. Follow that Bird and Elmo in Grouchland didn't make so much at the box office. 2 movies in a 45 year span failed to be box office hits. Why make a movie when the TV show is infinitely more successful?
You're absolutely right about that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
FTB is a classic film that got trounced in the box office but found a cult following on DVD. EIG was an idea that failed because the idea was fool proof... except that the movie's target demo was too young to want to sit in a theater (or shouldn't). It also made its money on DVD, where it was more appropriate for that audience as well.

I don't think there was anything past the intention of making a Sesame movie this time, and I wouldn't doubt that was part of the reason why it never went past the "you know what we should do" stage.

Now if we can just unsticky this thread...

beaker

Reaction score
There's so many dvd "specials"(often just extended on the street episodes), but it would be cool to see a Sesame Street theatrical film...or least a 90 minute dvd movie that looks like a film.

I love how Follow That Bird follows in the original Muppet trilogy vibe of natural styled filming in real life locations...but something about it feels so depressing. Id rather watch Dont Eat The Pictures as a quasi Sesame movie experience.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere, long ago when it was either declared a rumor or canceled film, that production halted due to Jerry Nelson's death and Kevin Clash's departure, but I doubt those factors would have had an effect on the movie. After all, Matt Vogel had been trained to take over Jerry's characters and has done a great job as The Count (and the only other Jerry Nelson character who has heavily been used in recent years was Mr. Johnson), and Ryan Dillon has also proven himself well as Elmo so far.

I agree with that. Kevin's and Jerry's characters are in good hands now, so as Jim Henson once said, "Take what you've got and fly with it."

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sesame Workshop was never contacted with the intent by a production company to make a movie. You'd think the writer tapped to write the film would have been the first person to know he was writing the script. he didn't.

This was a rumor, or at best a murmur that didn't get past the intention stage. End of story. This thread needs to be locked or at least taken off Sticky.

Status
Not open for further replies.