Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I posted that because I think and I'm even guilty of this were all too caught up in the all mighty dollar. Yes we know money matters not saying it doesn't but I feel like we all need to come back down and remember why we go see these movies. Yes it sucks that the film isn't doing as well as we hoped but we gotta stick together the Muppets have been through worse times then this. Jim always struggled as well but he just kept "moving right along" and so do we. I know I was negative before but reading that interview reminded me of why I've loved these puppets since I was 4 years old so let's just enjoy the moment and worry about the sales after they've all come in. This is suppose to be a happy time so let's enjoy it! Go see it again if you can but just enjoy the fact The Muppets are back out there!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like to think that MMW underperformed due to all the burnout from kids' movies, too, as well as the Spring Break weekend preventing the college crowd from seeing it during the opening weekend. Hopefully it would earn a bit more in round 2, along with the foreign market pulling in some extra cash.
Which is what I'm hoping was wrong, and I'll just leave it at that.

The only thing about it doing better overseas, Europe especially, is that it will be seen as a European success, and that'll be yet another Disney franchise that only stays in Europe. Along with the Comic Book Duck universe.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Mr. Peabody and Sherman is a cartoon that doesn't have a huge fanbase under the age of 30. Muppet movies are always accessible, Rocky and Bullwinkle only have collections for collectors.

I'm under 30 (by just a few months now) and I'm a fan.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I can't stand this anymore. I have to step in and give you guys the facts.

• Muppet movies are cheap to make. Look at some of Disney's other franchises. Planes barely made any money, yet two more sequels are on the way. How many Buddies movies have they made by now? Phineas and Ferb? My point is all of these franchises cost barely any money to Disney and the Muppets fall into this category. I think it's safe to say we won't be seeing another Lone ranger sequel, but we will be seeing more Muppet productions. My next guess would be that they're heading to television.
  • Disney has way too much invested in the franchise right now. They are in no way just going to dump the whole thing just because one movie did poorly. They realize the Muppets have been around for years and beloved. They saw how much people got excited for the last movie, and that there is demand for it.
  • I'm pretty sure Disney realizes their mistake. Putting it up against Divergent, and a month that already has two family films in it was a dangerous move. Personally, I think the November date works the best to the Muppets, and most Disney movies released at that time generally rake in the most money.
  • The movie will most probably do well internationally. The film takes place all over Europe, so I have no doubt that it won't do well in the EU. The good news is that Divergent doesn't come out in the UK until April 4th, so the Muppets have one good week before that dumb movie comes into the picture.
  • You guys should read this article that the LA Times spoke to Disney distributor David Hollis who said the film's money was "definetley a disappointment" but he said (quote)
“Overall it’s a little disappointing,” said Dave Hollis, president of global theatrical distribution at Disney. While noting that tracking had "Most Wanted" opening at more than $20 million, he added that the film is "an asset of the company across many lines of business." He said it "will likely hit $100 million or more worldwide on a budget of $54 million" and has "a lot of business left to do.”
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-divergent-muppets-gods-not-dead-box-office-results-20140323,0,1409060.story#ixzz2x4qPUcTo

I think the "many lines of business" is the key sentence here. This is to say that Disney is in no way finished with the franchise. Maybe not in movies, but is for sure not the end of the Muppets in any way. Like I said, they'd probably be heading to TV soon, and in a couple of years, Disney will roll out another movie after they spend some more time on television and in the parks so they can draw in more fans.

My suggestion: Go to the movie and celebrate it along with fellow Muppet fans. I wouldn't worry about the numbers until it gets picked up overseas and once the Blu-Ray/DVD sales numbers come out. It's stupid to worry about it now anyway, and this is in no means a franchise killer.
I concur. Best post ever. Very well-written and thought-out.

MMW is certainly not a flop and should not be written off as such.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
I think that the safest thing to say is that the modern day movie watching audience are complete idiots!! They are people who fully accept and appreciate a robocop remake and get excited by the prospect of a ghostbusters movie sans ghostbusters. The box office returns on MMW are baffling and wholey unjust!! It actually makes me angry! I watched 3 trailers for 3 cgi movies before MMW and they looked like the same bloody film!!! It doesn't make me sad for the Muppets, it makes me scared of modern society!!

The muppets have returned to form...now we just need to find an audience of triple figure iq's to catch up!!

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Today on the box office update: MMW crosses 20 million after six days. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

But you guys can live in the world where this isn't a domestic flop, that's cool.
Why do you continuously want people to panic? It's getting me really annoyed. Read my past couple of posts which will re-assure you that this is in no way a franchise killer, whether or not it is a "flop" or not.

To me it looks like you like deciding this is the end of the world and cause mayhem in this thread, and that you're hoping for the best. I really don't think that's the case, but it really is coming off to us that way.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Why do you continuously want people to panic? It's getting me really annoyed. Read my past couple of posts which will re-assure you that this is in no way a franchise killer, whether or not it is a "flop" or not.

To me it looks like you like deciding this is the end of the world and cause mayhem in this thread, and that you're hoping for the best. I really don't think that's the case, but it really is coming off to us that way.

It's because I'm being objective while other people are giving me crap for it because they're hearing something they don't want to hear. Guys: I get it, this sucks, but denying it isn't going to do anything.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
It's because I'm being objective while other people are giving me crap for it because they're hearing something they don't want to hear. Guys: I get it, this sucks, but denying it isn't going to do anything.

I agree it sucks. Do you know what I would have done just for this movie to be successful? But it wasn't successful, and it's not the end of the world. We should still expect lots more Muppet things in the future.

Either way, we get that it sucks, but we shouldn't continuously bring up the fact every day. You say that denying the fact that it sucks doesn't help anything, well, telling us the grim truth doesn't really help anything either.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd be a lot more hopeful if like 3 movies didn't open Friday. Hoping Noah can't find an audience because it's ticking off religious types and secular movie goers don't want a biblical story. The other 2 movies actually look good, but it depends how much of a mainstream audience they manage to get. If we're really lucky, families will still be going to the movies just enough to keep Muppets from dropping off too much. But that's if we're really really lucky. Maybe we'll see an alligator.

Which, quite honestly, should count for something. Hollywood shoves so many films into one month (where all the movies are losing money, and the only one with good numbers is actually Peabody and Sherman, considering how far 300 dropped off), and NONE of them make their budget back. MMW is a victim of being released too soon after Peabody and Sherman, which came after Lego, which came after Frozen... okay, The Nut Job got decent money because it was the only thing in theaters in a dump month (same thing happened with that dumb Gnome crap- and it started making money 2 weeks after due to a vacation week). But MMW had the distinction of being in a long line of kid's movies. Burn out much?

The same thing happened last July. Too many big budget movies released at once. Despicable Me 2 was the only thing that really made money. Respectable. Then everything else either failed or barely made back their cash. Then by the time August came, too many kids movies out at once in a dump month. The Smurfs sequel crashed and burned, especially since the first one was an inexplicable hit... made all the worse by the fact they actually tried on the second one. Planes, Turbo, Percy Jackson (which, if there's any hope of or at least a warranting a collective big face palm the Muppets getting another movie is that NO ONE liked the first Percy Jackson and it got another)... all opened up within weeks of each other. Planes somehow made money (sadly, yes), Turbo made it big overseas... Europe saved Smurfs 2 (considering how crappy their live action Asterix movies are, no surprise). There is hope, albeit kinda faint, that this will be a bigger hit overseas.

Though I'd like to add, it only missed 3 million to be considered successful. Flop or not, it could have opened much lower. Sure, it would have been nice if, by now, it at least made up half the budget (or at least 25 mil). At least it's passing Muppets from Space and Buddy. It just would be nice if it at least made MCC or MTI money.