Positive And Negative: The Muppet Movie (Opinions on TMM)

jvcarroll

Reaction score
To each his own. I just never felt they lived up to cameos such as Steve Martin, who was simply uproarious as the goofy waiter:smile:.
That sounds crazy to me. Cameos are intended to be brief appearances. Steve Martin's performance, while a very good moment, would actually be considered more of a featured role. Ultimately this is a Muppet movie, not a cameo movie, and it should serve as a model for all subsequent films. They dealt with the cameos perfectly and they've never been more balanced than they were in TMM. :attitude:

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
The only con I can think of is why Crazy Harry and Robin where present at the Magic Store scene. It'd make sense if they kept the original idea of Robin constantly breaking the fourth wall, and maybe Harry was the one who pulled the plunger down on the bridge in the original script, but he was just...there. Same with Bunsen and Beaker.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Heh.

That's the MOST Bunsen and Beaker in the whole original trilogy.

They never had any good movie roles, did they?
I know.
Think about it.
GMC: That one quick scene in the Mallory Gallery
MTM: NOTHING!!

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Pros:
Well, almost everything, 95% of everything, I love, the cameos, the songs, the story

Cons:
  • Never Before, Never Again (stops the film right in its tracks) 2%
  • The Story (the film has a thin storyline, but it's not thin enough to damage the film's quality) 3%

cjd874

Reaction score
Pros: There were a couple of brilliant gags throughout the movie, like the fork in the road, Harry Krishna, Myth! Myth, Big Bird's cameo, and so on. "I'm Going to Back There Someday," "Can You Picture That?" and "Rainbow Connection" are some of the best songs ever written for the Muppets. For me, the funniest scenes are the car dealership, Insta-Grow Pills, and the one with Cloris Leachman. And the final scene with all of the Muppets by the rainbow gets me every time.
Cons: Some parts felt slow, like "Never Before, Never Again" and the restaurant/Mel Brooks scene. And I wish they had kept in some of the deleted scenes. How would Dr. Teeth's extended reading of the screenplay have gone? How about Statler and Waldorf trading wisecracks while riding a camel? That would have been interesting to see. And I prefer the alternate end credits with audible Muppet dialogue rather than the band soundtrack.

Drtooth

Reaction score
At the risk of being someone who puts this movie on the highest of pedestals, the only thing I EVER disliked in the entire movie was... well... when I was a little kid, that musical rain barrel scared me. Maybe because it was all the sudden... and very loud.

Any other movie I could pin point pros and cons with shocking accuracy... this time, I just can't even think of something I mildly dislike. Maybe not having that extra verse in "I hope that Something Better comes Along" or the Statler and Waldorf bits.

Oh, I got a sort of kinda one. You can kinda hear Rowlf singing over himself in the movie at the end of Something Better... kinda bugs me, but not too much.