Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

Plaid Fraggle

Reaction score
Attendance increased when I saw it again yesterday, and both people I've seen it with were pretty impressed and laughed quite hard. I think that MMW's humor and charm are prevailing and helping it grow in popularity!

I also feel that it's an easy-to-love film for the casual Muppet fan, but that's just a hunch :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
But will the diminishing returns yield a third Muppet movie? Unlikely. Disney would be wise to jump into television.
Consider that tv shows like Dr Who, Breaking Bad, My Little Pony Friendship is Magic and of course Adventure Time are INFINITELY more popular (I hate to say) than the Muppets and their films. I hate to say, again. But...an insanely well written, funny show? That could REALLY change perceptions. And it is about time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I seriously do wish they'd considered Television. It might actually give them time to develop the characters. Something these movies barely seem to have time to concentrate on.
Ehhh... I really wish the TV show had more character development over guest star fawning. They did have great moments of that on occasion, but I just get the feeling that Roger Langridge did a better job in comic book form. If they were to do another Muppet Show and make it like the old one, they'd be wise to sit down, read those comics, and find out what made them even better than the original concept.

I mean, story arcs, episodes that take some of the action outside the theater.... I mean, I love the original and all, but less focus on the celebs, more focus on the Muppets.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Ehhh... I really wish the TV show had more character development over guest star fawning. They did have great moments of that on occasion, but I just get the feeling that Roger Langridge did a better job in comic book form. If they were to do another Muppet Show and make it like the old one, they'd be wise to sit down, read those comics, and find out what made them even better than the original concept.

I mean, story arcs, episodes that take some of the action outside the theater.... I mean, I love the original and all, but less focus on the celebs, more focus on the Muppets.
I definitely agree with you here, and that's why I like the idea floated by Bill Barretta (at least I think it was him) in the Variety article recently, doing a more Curb Your Enthusiasm type show. It would be fun to stick guest stars in every so often, but the Muppets have a lot to work with character development. Plus I love the idea of dropping the Muppets in the "real world" and seeing how people react to them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It would be great if the revised BO numbers came in and it made a little more (like 11.5-12 or so).

Anyway...

I definitely agree with you here, and that's why I like the idea floated by Bill Barretta (at least I think it was him) in the Variety article recently, doing a more Curb Your Enthusiasm type show. It would be fun to stick guest stars in every so often, but the Muppets have a lot to work with character development. Plus I love the idea of dropping the Muppets in the "real world" and seeing how people react to them.
The best episodes of MT, as I've been saying, were ones that barely took place in the show. Too bad there was like 4 of them and they were all second season. The one banished to cable.

Now, I LOVE the Muppet Show and all, but I can't pretend that Roger didn't do much better with the source material than even the classic Muppet Show writers. Without having to fawn over guest stars, there was a LOT of character development. He gave a great aside to Scooter wanting to be a writer, and he did overly calm and tranquil Animal better than the last movie did. Then again, I also think he was the best thing to happen to Popeye in decades, reverting to the Thimble Theater classic strip (which is awesome and better than the whole of everything else Popeye was ever associated with) instead of the "eat spinach, punch out Bluto" cartoons that more associate with the character.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score

Agreed, and frankly, in today's television world, that's the only way a show with the Muppets would succeed. The vaudeville shtick is cute, but it wouldn't secure a five season deal.